PDA

View Full Version : Burnside Carbine

beezapilot
11-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Visited an aged friend today who, years ago, was hunting in Tenn. and came across an old cellar hole in the woods. Being of curious nature he explored it a bit and in the corner was the remnants of a Burnside carbine. Everything aft of the receiver was missing, hammer, sideplates, stock... and what was there was pretty rough. In any event he gave it to me, and I'd like to turn it into a wall hanger. I'm pretty handy in the fabricaion department, but was wondering if anyone had parts or would be willing to send along measurements of the missing bits. I'll post photos should anyone like to take a look.

bedbugbilly
11-10-2014, 07:33 PM
For parts or information, you might try Lodgewood Mfg. Possibly go to the N-SSA site and check their links to sutlers, vendors. S & S Firearms is another possible source for parts. Worth a try anyway . . .

Sounds like you have a fun project with an interesting background! Wouldn't it be fun to know the history of it!

Good luck and enjoy!

John Allen
11-10-2014, 08:11 PM
Great Find. I will own a burnside at some point!

beezapilot
11-10-2014, 09:04 PM
I don't think this will ever be a shooter, would like a rough pattern for the sideplates, stock, and hammer tho.... The parts are available, but that would turn it into a more expensive item than I would like.

bedbugbilly
11-11-2014, 10:06 AM
I understand the expense end of it as far as parts, etc. .. . .

I don't shoot N-SSA anymore but I believe that they do have a forum on their site for questions, selling, etc.? You might see if you can get on it and make a post explaining your project - someone might be able to help you out with photos, measurements or tracings that would give you a place to start.

Or, maybe you could try and locate someone in your area who might have a Burnside that would let you take pictures, take measurements, etc.?

I don't know where you would begin to look but you might be able to come up with a copy of the Patent drawings on the Burnside as well. Over the years, I've seen reproductions of Patent drawings for various firearms such as Colts, etc.

john hayslip
11-11-2014, 11:58 AM
If I remember correctly Dixie had qt one time some parts for them.

beezapilot
11-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Thanks BBBilly- I posted over on N-SSA- that looks like fertile ground for such a project!

John in PA
11-13-2014, 12:24 PM
There are several models of Burnside. Commonest is known as the 5th Model, and easy to see as it has a screw right smack dab in the middle of the side of the receiver. The others lack that screw.

beezapilot
11-13-2014, 03:30 PM
Yep... I've the 5th model screw.
Fine looking rife you have there...

Want to make some trracings???

KCSO
11-13-2014, 07:20 PM
I have a bunch of parts left over from a restoration, breech block and some others I will look tomorrow and see what is left and you can have it if you want to pay the shipping.

beezapilot
11-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Saints & angels.
Yes, I'll happily pay shipping.

Many thanks good sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beezapilot
11-23-2014, 05:17 PM
Still on the prowl for drawings / tracings- sideplates, hammer, stock...