PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Shell Holder Thickness...

BCB
02-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Could someone measure the thickness of an RCBS shell holder that would be used for the 45 Long Colt. I am using a #11, but it is a Lee.
I am having problems with the seating die hitting the shell holder before I can place a substantial crimp on the case.
The Lee holder I am using is 0.2445” in thickness.
Any help? Thanks…BCB

VTDW
02-10-2008, 12:02 PM
I think it has to do with the chamfer on the bottom.

Dave

1hole
02-10-2008, 02:06 PM
The total thickness of any shell holder can vary but the depth of the "working" part, where the case head goes, will be as close to .125" as they can make it. That's the SAMMI spec.

If I wanted a little deeper crimp I'd either use a Lee Factory Crimp Die OR grind a little off the bottom of the seater die. The grinding need not be perfect machining, you would only need to remove enough to let the case go a little further in, maybe 10-15 thousants but even more wouldn't matter because you would be adjusting the crimp and locking the die ring where it needs to be.

454PB
02-11-2008, 01:12 AM
I'd grind the shell holder about .010", they are cheaper than seating dies and easier to find.

Morgan Astorbilt
02-11-2008, 01:58 AM
No, that would weaken the shell holder. The bottom part of the seating die has no function other than to screw into the press. As long as you're using the same press, you can grind off as much as you need to get a good crimp. Just smooth off the edges so as not to scrape that case or cut your finger.
Morgan