PDA

View Full Version : Bottom pour or ladle?

SlowMec
11-10-2014, 01:12 PM
I have a old Lee bottom pourer and a new Lyman Big Dipper.

I have had problems with the Lee, dripping and difficult to get rid of slag.

But a was stupid enough to buy Leeīs ladle!
It is too small to fill even a .32 6-hole mold!

Question is:

Should i buy a better ladle and keep on learning on the dipper or should i continue with the Lee and start learning better fluxing technique. ( Donīt start on what fluxing is or is not, i have read the threads.)

Lyman ladle?
It seems nice....

jmort
11-10-2014, 01:19 PM
I have the Lyman ladle and it is decent, but now made in china and it shows. About $14 from Amazon. Rowell #1 would be a good choice, I got mine from manufacturer, Advanced Car Movers. Made in USA and it is quality.

RickinTN
11-10-2014, 01:25 PM
I use the Lyman ladle and it works well. You are right in that the Lee ladle is nothing more than a spoon. I pressure cast most of my bullets which would be impossible with the Lee. I have in my mind that I want to try a Rowell but just haven't done so.
Good luck,
Rick

SlowMec
11-10-2014, 01:58 PM
A short Rowell #1 looks perfect, but itīs a pain in the hindquarter to buy it and get it shipped to Sweden. :-(

I seems to be stuck with buying a Lyman.

country gent
11-10-2014, 02:45 PM
WHat bullets are you casting as to caliber and wieght? I ladle cast my Heavy big bores for bpcr rifles as I find I get a better fill and more consistent wieght. I use luman and rcbs ( perfer the rcbs ladle) both of mine have the spouts opened to .200 now which also helps fill out and consistency. For pistol bullets and bullets under 250 grns or so I would consider the bottom pour [poty and working with it to reduce dripping and clean the metal appropriatly. Otherwise the ladle will cast very good accurate bullets with practice. Learning to ladle pour isnt hard and is eaier than a bottom pour in some ways. Always set the ladle in the pot to keep it hot, I even fill mine when I put it back in the pot. Fill the mould in the same way everytime, cavities in same order and same pour pressure pour, dead center of sprue hole, or edge for a swirling pour. Consistent handling and operation results in consistent bullets. Pre heating moulds helps get good bullets from the first pour. My casting pot holds 100+ lbs of lead alloy I heat the pot to temp of 700* with moulds alongside it on shelf built in this helps to warm them as the pot heats up to temp. When pot is to temp I flux reduce with sawduse and parrafin. then I put ladle into pot to warm I fill ladle lead freezes to it and takes a minute or so to come back to temp also bringing the ladle to temp. Fill and pour several ladles full of lead into pot making sure to get a full steady stream of molten metal. I then pick up the lould and pour first bullet, dont pour for a sprue but I pour a full ladle of metal into cavity angling mould a little so excess runs off and back into pot. This keeps bases and sprue hot and liquid as long as possible allowing gasses and such to work out. Place ladle back into pot filled watch sprue cool and cut over a pan to catch. Open blocks and drop bullet on a padded surface. I set the molds on a the edge of the [paint roller tray I use to catch bullets and close. ( the edge of tray helps pre alighn blocks pins when closing) Pick up ladle and pour next bullets using same technique as before. Depending on mould the first 10-15 pours go back in the pot normally. Have everything set up so the least amount of movement is neccesary to do what needs to be done. I have a small table that sits beside my pot on corner closest to pot is the bowl for sprues then some small ahnd tools the paint roller tray sets next with my mould hammer sitting along inside edge. Paint roller tray is lined with 4 or 5 towels also, this way when bullets are piled and its full I pick the top towel up by the four corners and set of on floor to cool out and keep casting.Experiment with what works for you and make it as simple and easy as possible, work smart be consistent with technique and minimize movement. Dont inspect bullets while casting it slows you don=wn and allows moulds to cool to much.

jmort
11-10-2014, 02:48 PM
You can get the Rowells on Amazon for about the same price as from manufacturer.

Le Loup Solitaire
11-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Have been using the Lyman and RCBS ladles for several decades. Both USA made, no problems. You can stick with either or use some of the others listed with good success. They skim well and are fairly easy to clean if they get crudded up. The Lee ladle...well that depends on what you like to do.....same for what you choose to use as a bottom pour pot. LLS

GhostHawk
11-10-2014, 10:27 PM
It comes down to mostly a matter of which suits you better. Either can be productive with the right tools.

I did have one of the early Lee bottom pour pots and had lots of trouble with it until I traded it off.

Switched to just a dead simple 7" cast iron fry pan and a good Lyman ladle with a nipple.

I have several molds that I can't fill with a single ladle pass, no sweat, just refill it and keep pouring!

I did pick up a cheap used Lee ladle pot here used a while back, and I have to admit it is convenient.
For one I don't have to haul everything upstairs to the kitchen stove. I can fire the pot up, fill it, let it get up to temp and cast as much or as little as I'm in the mood for. Biggest thing I've learned in some 40 years of casting is that some days are good, and some days are not.

If your having one of those days where nothing is working quite right just unplug and walk away. Try again when the humidity is lower or the moon is in a different cycle.

Its a bit like are you a ford driver? or a Chevy Driver? Or do you drive a Honda? Drive what suits you, that you can afford, that does what you need it to do. Exactly what that is can vary wildly.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-10-2014, 11:31 PM
I don't know what it would take to get a Rowell bottom pout ladle in your hands, but they are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe I have the second size up from the bottom and as I recall, Been awhile, I think they had a couple handle lengths and I got the longer one.

Great product.

Make sure you pot is in the 40 - 45lb. range, and with plenty of heat your good to go.

I use an OLD Coleman gas stove.

My casting is mostly in 4 - 6 cavity molds.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-11-2014, 12:02 AM
I agree with the others. Get the Rowell ladle if you can get it shipped to you. As far as the lee bottom pour, drain it, then take some fine valve grinding/lapping compound and lap the needle to the spout to improve fit.

Finally, I suggest to go to just using hardwood sawdust to flux your melt. Works the best for keeping your casting lead clean with the least cost.

Hope this helps.

SlowMec
11-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Good news! (for me).

I e-mailed Advance Car Mover Co with a polite request for a short handled #1 Rowell Ladle sent to Sweden.

The reply was that they where happy to send me a #1 with a short handle send along (no extra cost).

Now thats service! Good people!! :happy dance::guntootsmiley:

Thanks for all the help and input.