PDA

View Full Version : This took the cool factor off the scale!!

eka
02-10-2008, 10:23 AM
I was at the rifle range today messing with my vintage 94 Winchester .38-55 when another club member began shooting this big booming black powder rifle of some sorts down at the other end of the range. Well I ease down there to get a look at his artillery and low and behold he was shooting an original 1873 Springfield Trapdoor in outstanding condition and printing small groups at 200 yards. And thats not all, hold onto your hats, he was also shooting an original Maynard carbine in about 90% condition. Turned out to be a super nice guy that was more than happy to let me fondle his beautiful firearms and shoot the breeze for a spell. That was my first experience around black powder cartridge rifles. Very cool indeed.

Keith

13Echo
02-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Resistance is useless! You will be assimilated! Do not resist the call of the Holy Black powder rifle.

By the way, you might be surprised by the cost of a good, attractive, and shootable Trapdoor Springfield. Often less than a modern rifle.

Jerry Liles

boommer
02-10-2008, 10:01 PM
EKA TAKE THAT WINNY THROW SOME BLACK IN THOSE CASES !! 38-55 was a black cartridge round . Just aneal those cases so they are soft very little blow back then. I have a 1901 vintage 38-55 rifle in great shape and just do a good job of washing her out. I will do this every now and then I have other 38-55 single shots that I shoot black and once in awhile I get a hair in my butt and put some black rounds though her.it's great to step back to old school sometimes!!