PDA

View Full Version : Palmetto State Armory PA15 rifle only does 8" groups at best

Linstrum
11-10-2014, 04:54 AM
I just got a new Palmetto State Armory PA15 rifle, which I guess is their name for their AR15 clone. I don't have any complaints with how it functions, I put cartridges in the magazine, chamber a round, pull the trigger, and it goes "BANG" no problem until the magazine is empty. But what I do have a problem with is if in this day and age of precision manufacturing processes, when a $1200 rifle only does 8 inch groups at 100 yards then there is something majorly wrong with it. I buy guns to hit what I'm aiming at, not look cool and go "BANG" real fast. My recent manufacture Ruger Mini-14 stainless steel Ranch Rifle out-performs this Palmetto State Armory with its 2" groups at 100 yards and was $500 cheaper.

I prefer peep sights like the excellent ones used on the M1 Garand/M1A and French MAS 36, and I installed peep sights on my PA15, so it is not a problem with a loose scope causing loose groups. I also tried a variety of factory and hand loads using both 62 grain and 55 grain projectiles as well as IMR4895 and Ramshot TAC powders, all of which produce accurate loads for my Harrington & Richardson Ultra Varmint single shot and Ruger Mini-14. I get 1/2 m.o.a. groups with my Harrington & Richardson no problem with the components I was using.

So, what are my options in fixing what in my opinion is an expensive piece of garbage rifle? I have a full machine shop and have a experience from working on Garands and Mosin-Nagants but this is my first AR.

rl 1,192

mrvmax
11-10-2014, 07:17 AM
You paid $1200 for a Palmetto AR? I must be missing something.

1johnlb
11-10-2014, 08:05 AM
Check your bore, around the gas port to make sure theres not a bump or spire of steel from were it was drilled. This normally will show up with a cotton patch, but may be smooth and only look like a bump after firing.

Also if you have a compensator instead of a flash hider, check the center bore of the compensator for copper fouling. If you have copper fouling it's being hit by the projectile. It will look like copper smearing on one side of the comp. The wrong washer or jam nut will cause this.

HATCH
11-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Just send the rifle back to them and have them check it out

Artful
11-10-2014, 09:32 AM

Ding Ding Ding - winner - call them up.

If you are looking for a learning experience on the AR15 platform and want to do it yourself then realize
your voiding the maker's warranty.

That said - my first thought is the loose barrel nut - re tighten to proper spec's
much as I dislike their juvenile / ninja sight there is good info on AR15's there.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/605350_Important_Threads__Check_Here_First.html

WILCO
11-10-2014, 09:44 AM

Best answer.

bruce drake
11-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Send it back. Its too new to shoot that badly. I would think it wasn't properly torqued to spec on the barrel nut or the front sight base is loose andmore than likely both... You don't mention what type of rear sight you have on it so those are the primary thoughts I have regarding this.

If it has a 1-9 twist it may not care for the 62gr bullets either especially if it is a "Slow twist" 1-9 (more like 1-10) but if you are trying to load cast lead 22 caliber bullets to the same speeds as jacketed, those 8" groups would be normal and you'd be lucky to get a group at 100yards....max the velocity for cast lead to around 2200-2300fps as long as you gas-check and have a good lube.

troyboy
11-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Call PSA. What twist and what weight/type of bullets are you sending downrange?

1johnlb
11-10-2014, 01:10 PM
If I were you I would check PSA online reviews, they don't have the best reputation for friendly or helpful service. I don't know how much hair you have but you might want to keep it.

DCM
11-10-2014, 10:12 PM

+ another 1

Linstrum
11-11-2014, 06:13 AM
1. The barrel twist is one turn in 7 inches and barrel length is 16 inches
2. The rear peep sight is made by MBUS and is tight on the scope mount rail, and the front sight is tight on the barrel.
3. The projectiles I've used are commercial jacketed: 55 grain fmjbt Sierra Gameking and 62 grain fmjbt military surplus
4. The powders I used are IMR 4895 and Ramshot TAC
5. The loads I used are the same ones that are better than m.o.a. accurate in my Harrington & Richardson Ultra Varmint single shot.

All the rifles I've had with accuracy problems suffered from poor barrel quality and putting in decent barrels always cured them. Thirty years ago when I got my Springfield M1A it was a 12" at 100 yard shooter and Springfield was so embarrassed they put in a National Match barrel for me for free, but I suspect that was a once in a lifetime deal.

rl 1,195

tomme boy
11-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Put a scope on it and see. The Magpull sights are junk.

Pirate69
11-13-2014, 02:23 PM
1. The barrel twist is one turn in 7 inches and barrel length is 16 inches
2. The rear peep sight is made by MBUS and is tight on the scope mount rail, and the front sight is tight on the barrel.
3. The projectiles I've used are commercial jacketed: 55 grain fmjbt Sierra Gameking and 62 grain fmjbt military surplus
4. The powders I used are IMR 4895 and Ramshot TAC
5. The loads I used are the same ones that are better than m.o.a. accurate in my Harrington & Richardson Ultra Varmint single shot.

All the rifles I've had with accuracy problems suffered from poor barrel quality and putting in decent barrels always cured them. Thirty years ago when I got my Springfield M1A it was a 12" at 100 yard shooter and Springfield was so embarrassed they put in a National Match barrel for me for free, but I suspect that was a once in a lifetime deal.

rl 1,195

I have dealt with Springfield Armory on two occasions. I got the same type of service. The first time I was asking about a bolt that appeared to be a recall from the first days of M1A procuction (ss 9,xxx). They sent me a box for shipping it to them to check. They shipped it back to me with a TRW bolt installed and a new barrel installed to guarantee headspace. They also shipped back the old barrel. The second time, I had picked-up one of their M1's used. The gas cylinder looked like it was wearing on one side; semi-major gouge. Again, shipped it back. They determined the original owner had tried, for some reason, to open-up the gas cyclinder. SA installed a new gas cyclinder and replaced the opeerating rod. No out of pocket costs to me in either instance. Do not know about the present time, but service in the past has been outstanding.

wv109323
11-14-2014, 08:46 PM
The over torquing of the flash suppressor can cause accuracy problems with the AR-15.

dkf
11-14-2014, 10:39 PM
If the barrel nut is loose accuracy will be in the crapper. If you have a mount and some magnified glass you could put on to double check accuracy that would be good. If you get the same result contact PSA and have them fix it.

I use TAC and 55-75gr bullets in 1-7 and accuracy is good out of my 1-7 twist ARs with 16" barrels. Accuracy is even good with factory 55gr both brass and steel cased.

seagiant
11-15-2014, 09:01 PM
put a scope on it and see. The magpull sights are junk.

wow!!!

gew98
11-15-2014, 10:51 PM
If the barrel nut is loose accuracy will be in the crapper. If you have a mount and some magnified glass you could put on to double check accuracy that would be good. If you get the same result contact PSA and have them fix it.

I use TAC and 55-75gr bullets in 1-7 and accuracy is good out of my 1-7 twist ARs with 16" barrels. Accuracy is even good with factory 55gr both brass and steel cased.
That right there. I got a new AR in trade last year to build up for my son . Being I got a complete rifle I figured awesome. Well I could not get it to zero with Irons or ACOG. Turned out the barrel not was not torqued and the barrel ever so slightly indexed to one side. I made a tiny shim from a spent primer anvil on the barrel stud-pin and torqued it good. This 1-9 now shoots like it should.

GabbyM
11-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Don't think it would cause eight inch groups, but.
Check the hammer spring. See if it's on backwards. Causes light strikes along with all around messed up performance.
Also common as dirt on the plains.

So what's PSA had to say about this?

leadman
11-16-2014, 11:35 AM
They had some barrels that the bores were badly rusted on awhile back. My friend got one and I couldn't believe how bad it was. They did replace it with no problem. A call is definitely in order.

mac1911
11-19-2014, 08:04 PM
PSA also carries that PTAC line that is even cheaper.....mmm....aaahhmm I mean less expensive. I know several people who jumped all over the PSA deal of the day early in the year when things started to free up in the AR world. So far most are just happy they function. I dont think anyone was expecting more than minute of target (18"x20") at 100 yards.

dkf
11-20-2014, 01:10 AM
Best to stay away from PTAC stuff IMO.(PartsThatAren'tCorrect)

Motor
11-22-2014, 02:51 PM
I got a PSA 20" 1in7 CL Gov profile 5.56 complete upper and it shoots great. 8" groups? There is something wrong.........

pacomdiver
11-22-2014, 09:16 PM
I built a 16" white oak barrel middy for a friend this summer, it shot sub quarter (most dime sized, some smaller) 100y groups with almost anything 55 fmj's thru 75 amaxs, so something is definitely *****ed

mac1911
11-23-2014, 07:27 PM
I built a 16" white oak barrel middy for a friend this summer, it shot sub quarter (most dime sized, some smaller) 100y groups with almost anything 55 fmj's thru 75 amaxs, so something is definitely *****ed
Im not sure if white oak is even close to the same "quality" as PSA ?

pacomdiver
11-23-2014, 07:43 PM
my cousin built a beater with one of those $89 m4 barrels and it shoots 1- 1 1/2"groups at 100 and will ring the 4" steel at 200 almost every time.

freebullet
11-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Psa doesn't make anything worth 1200$.

They had over tightened barrel nuts on the few I've played with. After correcting that 1 of 3 shot just under 1" @100yards, the others never did better than a few inches. The one that shot sub moa didn't last 2-300rounds, it wouldn't chamber any cast boolit. I think the steel is to soft to last. The only one i kept now has a different barrel, trigger, and scope, and shoots great. Consider it a cheap base to build from.

dkf
11-26-2014, 02:56 PM
Im not sure if white oak is even close to the same "quality" as PSA ?

White Oak is superior to PSA.

Geezer in NH
12-04-2014, 05:12 PM
One gets what is paid for and overpaying for something to me would be take it back to the FFL that sold it at that price and DEMAND satisfaction. Just my Humble Opinion.

GabbyM
12-04-2014, 06:51 PM
I ordered a new bolt carrier group, from a different vendor, for my latest AR build. To replace the PSA unit that's tight to function and has a bolt cam pin wearing a grove after just a few hundred rounds. Not saying it's defective or junk. Just that I have lost all confidence in it and will toss it into the scrap along with the worn out truck break rotors. Perhaps it's just the cam pin that's soft. But to me it's all junk.