PDA

View Full Version : 5,000 mile buck

Blammer
11-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Finally! After traveling 5,000 this year hunting, I finally bagged something!

Got this buck at my brothers place during muzzle loading season last Saturday.

I put up a treestand at his place a week ago. Seems to have been a good spot so far!

I was hunting with my 50 cal Lyman Trade Flint lock with my home cast 333gr Maxi hunter mould. 80gr of FFG.

He was on the move, not fast, not slow, just purposeful.

He stopped behind some trees at 40 yds, looked around, he couldn't see me but I could see him.

As he started again and cleared the trees as he was on the move I hammered down.

Nice double lung shot, he went in an S configuration, total distance traveled about 100yds, but only about 50 yds more in a straight line from where I shot him.

Not a great trophy but meat in the freezer! I don't do this much but I brought him to a processor who is making summer sausage out of him. :) Yum Yum!

I hope to get another couple of them this year at my brothers place again once regular rifle season starts.

In the mean time I'm pleased, especially after striking out in CO on the Elk hunt. (hence the 5000 mile trip comment)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/2014%20Deer/2014buck_zps56cda5e9.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/blammer8mm/media/2014%20Deer/2014buck_zps56cda5e9.jpg.html)

starmac
11-09-2014, 09:33 PM
With a flinter too. I have never shot one, but makeing meat with one has to be a good feeling.

Blammer
11-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Yes, it's the second deer I've killed with that flintlock rifle. I must have used all the mojo out of that rifle as the first one was a 9pt buck. :)

Sweetpea
11-09-2014, 09:37 PM
I made 30 lbs of summer sausage from the buck my wife tagged this year.

It was my first attempt, and is the best summer sausage I have ever had.

All my hunting buddies seem to think so also.

Give it a whirl. I'm not sure what a processor charges to make it, but I'd bet its a good bit.

Brandon

Blammer
11-09-2014, 09:40 PM
I'll need a good summer sausage recipe. :)

Sweetpea
11-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Me too...

Honestly, I bought a kit from sportsman's warehouse, cost about $20. Cracked pepper and garlic.

Came with the casings, seasonings, and cure, and directions to boot!

For the meat in the last 2 casings, I added 2t of cayenne, and 2T of crushed red peppers. Didn't know how much heat it would give. Not much, just a little bite.

The next batch I make, I think I am going to add in some jalapenos and high-temp cheese.

Brandon

44man
11-10-2014, 02:13 PM
I use a Cabela's Visa and get points. I bought the 3/4 HP grinder and am thrilled, comes with stuffing tubes too. I swear I can stand in the garage and throw meat into the kitchen where the grinder is and it will eat all the meat. I have the sausage kit and will make some this season. I have the Master Built smoker cheap with points and it cooks great.
LEM has a lot of spices and kits too but I like the Cabela's grinder best. That thing is a BRUTE!
Add some brown sugar to your summer sausage too. A little heat is also good.
Happy eating to all of you.

35 shooter
11-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Nice deer and congratulations. Too bad about the elk in co. My brother's having a hard time out there with em too this year and he lives there. So far no elk where he's hunting at but lots of deer.

Blammer
11-10-2014, 11:20 PM
Yea, if I would have had a deer tag I could have bagged a nice 5 pt.

taco650
11-11-2014, 11:00 PM
Congrats on getting one with the flinter! Good eats is good eats and horns aren't edible. ;-)

35 shooter
11-11-2014, 11:23 PM
Blammer i was really pulling for you on the Elk hunt as i have the same boolit you were using and have similar loads and was really looking forward to a good report on performance, but that's hunting.
I understand about the tag thing. The times i've been out there archery hunting, if i had a deer tag the elk were all over me and vice versa. The good thing is there's always next time!

hc18flyer
11-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Check out Frisco Spices in Omaha, NE. They run it out of the Hobart (commercial kitchen stuff) dealer, have mail order as well. I have used their summer sausage seasoning many times(add some ground pork, ask them, wouldn't steer you wrong). I have also used their snack stick and pepperoni seasoning for ground deer sticks and haven't been disappointed yet. They sell casings too. I will be picking some up next week, handy- mile or so from Cabela's. Flyer

smokeywolf
11-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Congrats on putting meat in the freezer.

Idaho Mule
11-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Dandy 11 pointer there Blammer!!! I was pulling for you on the CO elk hunt too. No worries, sometimes it just goes that way. At least you have some fine sausage coming soon. JW

CastingFool
11-13-2014, 11:56 PM
Congrats, Blammer, fresh venison is always good!

Minerat
11-14-2014, 12:08 AM
Sorry to hear you struck out on the elk hunt here. Our group has 5 unfilled cow tags too. I did not even see a deer, only moo cows, range maggets and lots of bunnys. Nice deer at least you got some meat.

sixshot
11-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Hey Blammer, how come no pictures!!

Dick

fatnhappy
11-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Gee DJ, that has to be the most expensive piece of meat you're ever going to eat. Well done, nice shot.

Blammer
11-15-2014, 02:34 PM
shhhhhhh, don't tell my wife...

starmac
11-15-2014, 07:29 PM
shhhhhhh, don't tell my wife...

Believe me she knows. lol