PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for a manic reloading session

FISH4BUGS
11-09-2014, 09:03 PM
FINALLY, the Star Sizer is working. I cannot tell you the frustrations I went through trying to make the thing work. I finally sent it back to Magma and they rebuilt it. It was a factory defect, and they fixed it for nothing. I am not kidding when I say I struggled for YEARS with this. It was less frustrating to use jacketed or bought cast.
I thought I was doing something wrong......I'd spend hours on the phone with them trying to figure this out. We went back and forth many times and finally they said ship it back. So I did.
So during that time that it was gone back to Magma (knowing full well that no matter what was wrong with it, it would work when it came back), I cast some 4000+ H&G 51's with 5lbs WW to 1lb lino (supposedly the Lyman #2 alloy). Now that the Star is back and works like a charm, I sized and lubed those 4000+ bullets with Magma red, and set up the Dillon 550 for 38 Special. 8 lb. jug of W231 ready to go - a case of small pistol primers (it DOES help to buy in bulk) Yes, I know...231 is kind of smoky and a little dirty but a little goes a long way.
Man, if anyone in this Cast Boolit neighborhood ever had any doubt about buying a Star Sizer, throw those doubts out. Go buy it. It is what my Grampa used to call the "bee's knees". I was getting almost 1000 an hour lubed and sized boolits through the sizer. Even after struggling all that time with it, now that it works, it is beyond cool. My appendages all got pretty tired after a while.
So here's the plan: take an hour or two each night that I can over the next week or two, fire up the heater in the shed and load. Set up for all one caliber and all identical loads. Pretty much standard velocity 38's for practice, +P's for occasional zippy loads. The only slowdown will be adjusting the powder measure.
I'll load 10 and take test them in the back yard stump, and just make sure all is well. Then I am going to load 4000 or so 38's. That ought to last me for a while.
Next up? 223's. Plenty of components. Just need the time. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to get that, I am all ears.

oneokie
11-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Trade your bed for a lantern.

wv109323
11-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Plus one on a good working Star. I don't see the need for any mods except a heater for a Star for personal use. That may change if you are commercial.

FISH4BUGS
11-11-2014, 11:28 AM
I use a Midway heater bought many years ago. With the Magma lubes, it is very temp sensitive, but when you nail it right on, it flows great.
The air pressure kit might be the next step. Doing the crank every 10 bullets is a pain, but I just count and do it every 10 or so.
Turn the lube pressure crank, do 5, run a lubed bullet through, do another 5, adjust the pressure crank, repeat. You can get into a groove and do 1000 per hour if you keep your mind to it.
Can't wait for the next session.

captaint
11-11-2014, 11:47 AM
I have the air kit and the heated base. My Star is my favorite toy. I actually enjoy sizing & lubing boolits.

varmintpopper
11-11-2014, 02:44 PM
I have 2 Star sizers and an RCBS sizer, the RCBS is OK and does the Job, But the Stars Excell

Good Shooting

Lindy

Plate plinker
11-11-2014, 07:57 PM
Hmmm 4000 rounds that's enough for 20 days of practice. Keep going.

JoeG52
11-12-2014, 07:21 AM
Just need the time. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to get that, I am all ears.
Don't retire, you'll have less time. :-)

FISH4BUGS
11-13-2014, 07:44 AM
I rebuilt the RCBS vibratory tumbler last night. Got all the spare parts from RCBS. They sent the rubber mounts, screws, bolts and springs for nothing. I had to slightly modify the rubber mounts to fit properly but that was easy. They were ever so slightly too short so I ground a bit off the bottom and all is well.
Nice warrantee!
I had to chuckle - the manufacture date stamped on the side of the bowl is Feb 20, 1982. Not bad for almost 30+ year's worth of use!
Got the Star Sizer going, and now the tumbler rebuilt. Ready to start the manic loading sessions.
Here is to another 30+ years!

dragonrider
11-13-2014, 11:23 AM
So what was the problem with the Star? What was the defect?

FISH4BUGS
11-14-2014, 09:24 AM
So what was the problem with the Star? What was the defect?
Somehow, the plunger rod inside the body of the Star had broken. It would work every once in a while, but then the rod would come out of alignment and not work.
They had to take it apart to discover the problem. He said there may have ben a bubble in the metal and it was weak and broke.
All is well now.
They fixed it at no charge and sent it back freight prepaid.

FISH4BUGS
11-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Over the weekend, after the chores were done, I started loading. Went to about 11:00 Saturday night and did a few hours on Sunday. Got about 2000 38 special, H&G #51 over 4.0 gr of 231 loaded. Nice practice loads.
Up next: 4.7 gr of 231 (+p's) for the S&W 28 and Interarms Rossi 92. May well do a few thousand of those. Then switch to mild 357 loads.
Man, it is nice to see that ammo can full of shiny reloads! More to come.........