PDA

View Full Version : Some states allow non-expanding bullets ?

mikes farm
11-09-2014, 12:05 PM
I cast for pistol and one light soupcan for 30cals.
In Fla they do not allow using non expanding bullets for hunting.
If you hard cast how do you get around that ?
I also 'assume' that in Alaska reality shows they are probably
using surplus FMJ.
Do some states allow non-expanding bullets for hunting ?
Regards
Mike

BAGTIC
11-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Whether they expand depends on what you are shooting. States seem to be very lax in defining 'non-expanding'. That is because the laws are generally written by politicians, lawyers, idiots and other incompetents.

starmac
11-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Fmj's in Alaska, per reality shows. LMAO

dale2242
11-09-2014, 07:51 PM
FMJs in Oregon are not allowed for hunting in any form, modified or not.....dale

petroid
11-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Kentucky just says FMJ and tracers prohibited. Doesn't say anything about cast lead.

45coltnut
11-09-2014, 08:19 PM
I think the FL laws are pointed towards the FMJ bullets. Cast will / can expand upon impact. FMJ's typically only zip through. I personally think you are fine with cast boolits. I know I used them when I lived there and will use them again when I return to hog hunt.

petroid
11-09-2014, 08:41 PM
I cast for pistol and one light soupcan for 30cals.
In Fla they do not allow using non expanding bullets for hunting.
If you hard cast how do you get around that ?
I also 'assume' that in Alaska reality shows they are probably
using surplus FMJ.
Do some states allow non-expanding bullets for hunting ?
Regards
Mike

I assume you are in Florida. A look at their regulations indicates that they only classify full metal jacket (i.e. "military ball") to be "non-expanding". No mention of cast lead bullets is made. I would thus assume that lead bullets are legal.

starmac
11-09-2014, 09:29 PM
I have read where a couple of states require lead to be hollowpointed, but unless I am mistaken the only state that lead is illegal is Cali. It seems like there was some sort of movement in Or. or Wa. to try to get it banned.

Cowboy_Dan
11-10-2014, 12:33 AM
In IN, fmj is disallowed for pistols only versus deer. I don't see bullet construction mentioned anywhere else in the hunting guide.

Bzcraig
11-10-2014, 01:04 AM
I have read where a couple of states require lead to be hollowpointed, but unless I am mistaken the only state that lead is illegal is Cali. It seems like there was some sort of movement in Or. or Wa. to try to get it banned.

Lead is only been outlawed in those areas considered California Condor habitats.

jmort
11-10-2014, 01:21 AM
There are a few states which require hollowpoints.

starmac
11-10-2014, 01:39 AM
Lead is only been outlawed in those areas considered California Condor habitats.

I thought it was outlawed for hunting excluding rimfire for the whole state. Am I wrong there?

jmort
11-10-2014, 01:46 AM
No, not wrong, whole state by 2019, being phased in next year, beyond 7 Condor counties which started in 2007. Rimfire will be included in the ban.

ksfowler166
11-10-2014, 02:20 PM
In Kansas it is legal to use hard-cast solid lead, soft point, hollow point, or other expanding bullets. So I think that only excludes FMJs if I am not forgetting something. http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/Hunting/Hunting-Regulations/Deer/Legal-Equipment

stubert
11-10-2014, 03:26 PM
In New York, you may use any centerfire rifle or pistol for big game. No mention is made as to types of bullets.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-10-2014, 06:09 PM
No mention of it in NC Regs. The boys in Raleigh have gotten pretty loose lately, I wouldn't do it, but you can legally take a deer with a .22 short out of a pistol or a blackpowder Derringer if you so choose.