PDA

View Full Version : Trying out a couple of new moulds

cruisor
11-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Hello,

Okay just for a little bit of back round. I'm getting real close to 70 yoa now and am not nearly as strong or healthy as I once was.

I thought I'd try out a couple of 2 cavity moulds to get away from the length of the 6 cavity mould and thus make my day a little easier after casting bullets.

I purchased a set of Saeco moulds #384 and #456 was really pleasantly surprised at not only the quality but in just a few minutes I was casting bullets of very high quality. No break in just give them a good cleaning and put them to work. With that said I paid a bit more for these than other moulds but the resulting bullets were as good as I've ever cast. Now I know that though these moulds probably weigh as much as for instance an aluminum 6 cavity mould being able to maneuver the mold easier made for a better casting session. So with that said. The casting session was a success in that I wasn't hurting nearly as much when done. I cast almost as many bullets with no defects.

I thought I'd pass this observation along to others who might be facing some physical limitations when casting.

I would also really like some opinions as to how to store moulds after using them.

Thanks for any input all.

What a great hobby we all have!

Regards,

Lee

GP100man
11-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Lee

Ya got me by 20 yrs. ,but even now it seems 2 holers don`t have the "urgentcy" as the 5-6 cavitys do .
It makes for a more relaxing session.

Authur in my hands (wrench turnin carrier) I don`t shoot as much thus lowering my needs for bulk supplies & boolits.

But when I do I still enjoy shooting, casting & reloading as much as ever !!!

I started shooting as a small boy & when reloading,casting was discovered I knew it`d be a permanent part of my life!

As in life , tools are like anything else , ya get what ya pay for !!
I`m glad for ya that the molds are workin good for ya !!!
Cast on brother !!

GP

waco
11-09-2014, 01:02 PM
For iron molds like your Saeco's, after I'm done casting I spray a light coat of a product called "Fluid Film" It will stay on the mold until you clean it off. It works really well to prevent rust. It is easily removed with hot water and Dawn detergent. The product also has many, many other applications as well. Cars, boats, trailers, conditions leather, Great for gunstocks, electrical connections, ect.....