PDA

View Full Version : Boolits not falling out anymore

Pakprotector
11-08-2014, 11:16 PM
hey-Hey!!!,
I just got a 22596 and ran some low-tin/mostly lead boolits for my air rifle. Boolits *NEARLY* jumped out of the mold. I switched to a significantly harder alloy( the ingots ring, and I added a pinch of Tin for good measure ), and now the boolits don't want to leave. I mean, 40 year old virgin, on large allowance from parents, not-want-to-leave...took a fair bit of banging on the handles with my poplar board to get them to leave the cavity. In both cases, good fill, and in the harder alloy, no frosting or bluing...but they won't leave.

Any help greatly appreciated.
cheers,
Douglas

454PB
11-08-2014, 11:44 PM
That's fairly common.....alloys containing antimony shrink less while cooling, causing them to cling to the mould.

Pakprotector
11-09-2014, 12:57 AM
That's fairly common.....alloys containing antimony shrink less while cooling, causing them to cling to the mould.

That makes perfect sense. I don't see an easy way to cure it though.
cheers,
Douglas

35 shooter
11-09-2014, 01:38 AM
Not sure if this helps but when running ww, no tin added, i have to run most of my moulds pretty hot to get boolits to just drop from the mould without tapping. To the point of at least light frosting usually works best. 50/50 alloy or softer seems to drop on their own from a cooler mould for me.
Lol i do have a single cavity hollow base lee mould that drops boolits no matter the alloy or mould temp. I have yet to have to tap the handle on that mould under any conditions.