PDA

View Full Version : Swaging question

Moiecol
11-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Redirect me if my topic has been posted. I've cast 9mm boolits, but was wondering what swaging tools I would need to swag and make hollow point.

tiger762
11-09-2014, 01:18 AM
A swaging press
A swage die set that includes:
* core swage to uniform a raw piece of lead wire to uniform diameter length and weight
* core seat to compress the swaged core into the jacket tightly to swell the jacket out to final diameter
* point form die that gives the bullet the final shape.

You'll need a source of jackets and lead wire (or core cast mold). You'll need a lead wire cutter although I've made many with simple wire cutting pliers. You'll need swage lube; basically a mixture of anhydrous lanolin and castor oil. You'll need the same type of digital scale you use for reloading. Good idea to have a set of micrometers on hand.

If starting from the level of equipment of reloader, you're looking at $1000 for press/dies and probably a year's lead time. The common question is how to get in on it "cheap". Not going to happen. But realize that when I spent $1250 to get into turning 22LR into 224, it wasn't that I had money to burn frivolously.

For 224 you could get away with using a reloading press, but I knew I was going to get into 30 and 45cal so I went ahead and spent-once cried-once for a real swaging press. Anyone who thinks they'll be content to constantly fiddle with die height to keep the reloading press at peak leverage, is fooling himself. 45cal on a reloading press is a non-starter. When you swage the lead core, you're bleeding off excess lead out of a very tiny hole in the side of the die. Check out http://www.rceco.com

Sasquatch-1
11-09-2014, 08:06 AM
If you want to swage lead hollow points get in touch with Andy (I believe that is his name, been a while) at 'Hawks Precision Bullets' and ask him about one of his single stage lead dies. They can be used in a press like the RCBS Rock Chucker. He also sells these dies on Ebay but give him a call.These dies will also do half jackets, but by the time you buy jackets I think you might do just as well with a gas check.

BLASTER62
11-09-2014, 09:30 AM
If you want to swage lead hollow points get in touch with Andy (I believe that is his name, been a while) at 'Hawks Precision Bullets' and ask him about one of his single stage lead dies. They can be used in a press like the RCBS Rock Chucker. He also sells these dies on Ebay but give him a call.These dies will also do half jackets, but by the time you buy jackets I think you might do just as well with a gas check.

Like he says! plus BT Sniper on this site.