PDA

View Full Version : First Time Casting Bullets

Whitworth
02-10-2008, 12:36 AM
Well, I casted bullets for the first time in my life today with 44man. I started reloading nearly twenty years ago, but I always bought my cast boolits. I always thought "why bother", but you know what? I get it now. A big thanks to 44man for showing me the ropes!

shooting on a shoestring
02-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Way to go 44Man. Spreading the gospel and bringing in a convert.

Whitworth, glad you're one of the few, the proud, and the obstinate(if you're not now, cast awhile longer).

44man
02-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Even better yet, all of the boolits he cast are on the rug in the basement. I looked them over and there is not a bad one in the pile.
How good is THAT? A beginner with zero rejects! :drinks:

44man
02-10-2008, 10:05 AM
I forgot to add the boolits are my WFN, 420 gr .475's. Whitworth knocked the pig over at 200 yd's with his first shot. :mrgreen:
I guess I have to work on stability a little more! [smilie=w::bigsmyl2:

jeff223
02-10-2008, 10:25 AM
did you guys drink any of your home brew or rum after casting those boolits? :mrgreen:

EMC45
02-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Very cool about spreading the knowledge about casting and savings. Although I feel like sometimes I am "casting my pearls before swine" when it comes to spreading the news about casting. I get funny looks and comments about how I must be poor to go through all that trouble. That's fine by me, that means I won't have competition for WWs in my area.

Whitworth
02-10-2008, 11:49 AM
did you guys drink any of your home brew or rum after casting those boolits? :mrgreen:

Before, Jeff -- that's why they turned out the way they did! LOL!! :drinks:I never get to indulge more than a drink or two as I need to drive back to my state afterwards.......

Yeah, so much for WFN stability!

Thanks again, 44man!

Whitworth
02-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Very cool about spreading the knowledge about casting and savings. Although I feel like sometimes I am "casting my pearls before swine" when it comes to spreading the news about casting. I get funny looks and comments about how I must be poor to go through all that trouble. That's fine by me, that means I won't have competition for WWs in my area.

Well you know, I had mixed feelings about casting myself, but when I saw how easy the process can be if you are set up properly (like 44man), I see no reason for paying a premium for something that I can produce and not only that, there is a real feeling of satisfaction knowing that the bullets you are taking game with are the work of your own hands. While I haven't taken any game yet with these castings, I can assure you that I will later in the year!

HollandNut
02-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Marko , movin' on up , now I better not get anymore badmouthin' from you about castin' ...

Whitworth
02-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Don't worry Holland, you won't!

Buckshot
02-11-2008, 05:03 AM
..............Whitworth, do you happen to have a Whitworth?

..........Buckshot

Bass Ackward
02-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Well, I casted bullets for the first time in my life today with 44man. I started reloading nearly twenty years ago, but I always bought my cast boolits. I always thought "why bother", but you know what? I get it now. A big thanks to 44man for showing me the ropes!

Whitworth,

You aren't the only one. Why I remember about 5 years ago when guys were worried casting was gonna disappear. Now go to any site and look how many molds are sold out and out of stock. Watch prices for casting stuff climb further as demand is driving the train now.

My RCBS pot was a gift from my wife at the time and it cost a whopping $65. Why I have just about tripled my money on just about everything if ebay is a fair comparison. But it was easy to see why when I went in to our local shop last weekend and 340 grain, 45 caliber handgun boolits were $80 for 500. But that is a steal if you go to the companies WEB site as they are now $100 for 500. Lead bullets for gosh sakes!

Next trend is going to be smaller calibers if power isn't needed to kill it.

Lloyd Smale
02-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Heck anymore i discourage new people from taking up the hobby. Its tough enough to find wws around here as it is!! ;)

Whitworth
02-11-2008, 09:26 AM
..............Whitworth, do you happen to have a Whitworth?

..........Buckshot

More than one, Buckshot!!

EMC45
02-11-2008, 12:01 PM
You will make better bullets than you can buy in no time!!!:-D You probably already have!

Whitworth
02-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Oddly enough, they were all good. I think it is a combination of a great teacher and beginner's luck!! I'm hooked!

shooting on a shoestring
02-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Bass, "Next trend is going to be smaller calibers if power isn't needed to kill it. "

I've already taken that road several miles. I love to shoot my BH in .45 Colt, but intentionally bought a BH in .357 ( a Christmas present) just to cut down on lead consumption. When I'm ringing clangs, shooting dueling trees and putting holes in paper, I get 2 shots of 150 gr .357 for the same lead as 1 shot of 300 gr .45 Colt. My .22 Hornet is also seeing more range time now for the same reason.

Powder and primers are plentiful, even if they seem pricey compared to previous years. Lead however is scarce at any price.

Buckshot
02-12-2008, 03:53 AM
More than one, Buckshot!!

............Well now you can cast your own slugs for it (them). I have a P-H Whitworth and a Rigby LR match rifle.

http://www.fototime.com/79E8B23CAB84AC7/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/103B7CD70CB7B7A/standard.jpg

Need to get some pics of my Whitworth, darn it :-)

...............Buckshot

Whitworth
02-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Nice rifle, Buckshot!

I have a .416 Rem Whitworth (conversion was done by Rigby), and a Mark X that is in the process of becoming a .450 Ackley........ I recently got rid of a .375 H&H Whitworth on a trade.......

My .475 SRH is making me ignore my rifles!