PDA

View Full Version : Forster co-ax reloading press?

Pink_Vapor
11-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Has anyone tried the Forster CO-AX Reloading Press for swaging as well?
It's a beefy reload press, and might be the best dual purpose press. I don't know if swage dies would fit & it's definitely cheaper than Corbin's $740 press.
I want to swage 308 cal PB (possible 1/2 or full jacket) for 300BLK AR and 308Win bolt gun subsonics @ 220g.
Thanks

HollowPoint
11-08-2014, 05:25 PM
This is the type and model of reloading press I use for reloading. I recently built a lead swaging die to form some hybrid smooth-sided cast lead bullets for a Powder-Coating project I'm working on.

Initially I tried it on my Co-Ax but, even with just lead, I don't think it will hold up in the long run. Since it's my main reloading press, I didn't want to take the chance of ruining it.

I ended up making a set of swaging dies that fit my cheap little Harbor Freight 1/2 ton arbor press. If I ruin the arbor press it's no big deal.

HollowPoint

Pink_Vapor
11-08-2014, 07:23 PM
Thanks, I wasn't going to try it in my Dillon and have been looking a Co-Ax for longer range cartridges & thought double duty.
Are there economical swage dies available for an arbor press?
I've been eyeballing the NOE 311-247 mold, and swaging seems a better product, except for the start up costs.

HollowPoint
11-09-2014, 12:21 PM
Other than the cheapy dies I made myself, I don't know of any dedicated dies of this kind. However, I don't think it would be to far out of the realm of possibility to use conventional swaging dies in an arbor press if you had an adapter made, into which the conventional swaging dies could be screwed.

On my arbor press, I had to remove the ram and bore a hole down the center about an inch up from the bottom to accept my boat-tail forming do-hicky and keep it concentrically centered.

There are some arbor presses that are sold with the ram already bored out this way. If you can't make your own swaging dies, it's just a matter of adapting the store bought dies to work.

A 60-70 or 80 dollar arbor press is way cheaper than a 400-500 dollar swaging press. In theory, this should leave you enough of a savings to be able to get a set of adapters made.

HollowPoint

troyboy
11-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Lee Classic will work. Check out some of Bt's mods. The Co-ax is not a swage press.

Dan Cash
11-09-2014, 09:10 PM
I have 2 Co-Ax presses and they are stout. That said, I would not dream of trying to swage bullets with them as they are not that stout. If it is on the cheap you are, go the arbor press route or buy the Lee. When it gives up you are not out a lot but I doubt it has the leverage you need.

troyboy
11-13-2014, 06:26 PM
Well Dan the Lee CC has worked for Bt and many others.

Safeshot
11-15-2014, 11:18 AM
An old "Herter's" "U" type press seems to work well for swaging. A handle extension to increase leverage helps also. A "standard C frame Herters press" seems to work also. Have not broken one yet.