PDA

View Full Version : Contender riddle ;;; Will not cock

Shooter6br
11-08-2014, 12:48 PM
I have shot the pistol about 200 rd with same barrel. It will not recock......With the upper part remover the hammer cocks.When i put the trigger group back in frame the trigger releases hammer Springs all seem to work......Help Rick :veryconfu

11-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Is the trigger weight adjusted too lightly?

skeet1
11-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Shooter6br (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?3785-Shooter6br)
If I remember correctly there is a set screw located inside the action that is accessed through the top of the action and takes an allen wrench that adjusts the sear engagement. Try adjusting this and see if it makes a difference. As I remember from adjusting this screw you are able to adjust it to far and loose the ability of making any sear engagement. Hope I'm not confusing you!

Ken

firefly1957
11-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Did you contact The guns maker?

marshall623
11-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Shooter6br (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?3785-Shooter6br)
If I remember correctly there is a set screw located inside the action that is accessed through the top of the action and takes an allen wrench that adjusts the sear engagement. Try adjusting this and see if it makes a difference. As I remember from adjusting this screw you are able to adjust it to far and loose the ability of making any sear engagement. Hope I'm not confusing you!

Ken
X2. If that set screw is screwed in too far it the sear will not engage. That screw is in the top of the trigger shoe.

williamwaco
11-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Check this pdf:

Never mind.

It was the instruction manual with several photos of those parts but the board says it is to large for me to upload.

PM me with your email address and I will email it.

Shooter6br
11-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Will try guys I got it to work but intermitant

Shooter6br
11-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Adjusted sear adjustment and sprayed a little CLP. Works great. It is an non"easy open" but works fine. "Bubba" tried to re blue the barrel(cold blue). i used a bake on finish Works fine Thanks

dgslyr
11-09-2014, 06:11 PM
There is a safety block that slides up in the frame when you squeeze the trigger guard.If it does not move far enough ,the hammer won't cock. It won't move far enough because the top of the trigger guard that pushes up on the block is worn the block likely is too.I fixed mine by cutting two small strips from a feeler gauge and epoxying them to the top of the trigger guard where the block rides on both sides at the rear of the guard.You can see where the wear is at the back. You can see the block in front of the hammer when you look down in the frame from top with the hammer cocked or held back or from bottom with the trigger guard removed.
Or you can see if Smith & Wesson will replace the trigger guard. If they have one.
Before they bought TC ,I sent one back for that same problem.They modified it to the easy open and a new hammer.They gave me a used trigger guard that had been opened a zillion times.Leaving the same wear on the back end of the trigger guard. That is a very early frame you have.It's likely been opened about a zillion times since the late 1960's or early 1970's.

mattw
11-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Could also be a split block barrel that is not fully engaging on a hard open frame.