PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Cutting Boards

dale2242
11-08-2014, 10:10 AM
I was given a laminated wooden cutting board with some small worm holes in it.
I would like to fill these holes to prevent any chance of meat, blood, etc. contaminating this board with bacteria.
I need something that is food safe that I can fill these holes and sand smooth to make it more sanitary.
Anyone out there done this or have any ideas?....dale

oneokie
11-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Acra-glass?

country gent
11-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Check out Woodcrafters websites for one near you they specialize in woods and finishes and tools. If you know what kind of wood it is a dowel cutter and a block of that wood, cut a couple doels 3/8" long or so drill appropriate holes to depth with a foreseter bit and glue press in place. Sand to finish and And rub down with peanut oil o[r some actual butcher block oil

Janoosh
11-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Wood absorbs water at a higher rate on end then on its side. Accraglass or a cyano-acrylate type glue is best.

Wayne Smith
11-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Depends on how big and where they are. You can rout them out and use that as a grease groove to drain grease away. You can get some raw tung oil and mix it 1/3 to 2/3 mineral spirits and sand this in, the sanding dust packs in and fills the holes, the tung oil seals than in and fully polmerizes. Once it's dry there is no problem. This is how I fill gunstocks I'm refinishing.

Most woodworking catalog companies will carry raw tung oil. I know Woodcraft and Rocklear have it. I get it at my local Woodcraft store.

bangerjim
11-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Be careful you are creating a possible health hazard. Unless that board is really cool or is a family piece, scrap it. They are not that hard to make.

You will never be able to seal those holes with anything that will not eventually srink/swell/crack and let food juices in and grow bacteria. No amount of any kind of oil will seal those areas. And dowels absobrb from the endgrain like crazy!

As said, woods are hygroscopic (absorb water like crazy) and anything borne in that water goes in as well! And can stay and grow.

I got rid of all our wooden cutting boards many years ago and now use only thick polypro or other plastic boards. Last much longer and can be easily washed with strong detergents. I have two that are from a counter-top job that are the best I have ever used.

banger

texassako
11-08-2014, 12:24 PM
If you want an epoxy get a food safe epoxy listed for food contact, and I don't think acraglass is on of those. Personally, I would use Tightbond III wood glue and mix it with some sawdust from sanding the cutting board to make your own wood putty. It is the only glue I use to make cutting boards, and is FDA apporved. If the borers are still active, you may find the occasional new hole.

starmac
11-08-2014, 02:24 PM
I made a reloading bench out of mine. It didn't have any holes, but it does now. lol

Janoosh
11-08-2014, 02:43 PM
+1Texassako. The primary glue I use for work is a Titebond.
Perhaps using some type of injector would fill the holes starting from the bottom as an air bubble would stop the fill otherwise.

Beagle333
11-08-2014, 02:59 PM
I got a pretty nice one, but I do sand it and seal it pretty often with Butcher Block.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HMxP5ZwDL._SL500_SS100_.jpg edit** Y̶o̶u̶ I don't really want y̶o̶u̶r̶ my meat touching wood that other meat has touched (and seeped into.) ;-)

MaryB
11-08-2014, 10:38 PM
Tests have found that wood cutting boards are pretty sanitary. The wood compounds act as an antibacterial to prevent growth.

Plate plinker
11-09-2014, 12:07 AM
I think Mary is onto something, if wood was so bad we would all be dead by now. Butchers used to rub boards down with salt and saw dust suppose those techniques are still viable?

oneokie
11-09-2014, 12:14 AM
The safety factor for wood cutting boards is dependant of the sanitation practices of whomever is using the cutting board. Wiping it off with a soapy dish rag is sufficient (imo) for most foods except for fish and chicken. For those, I wipe them down with a bleach solution. Plain old mineral oil is the best surface treatment. The kind you find in the health isle of the store, same stuff that is used as a laxative.

geargnasher
11-09-2014, 01:38 AM
I use bamboo cutting boards for fish, chicken, and pork. Venison and beef go on any of several cherry, rock maple, and black walnut cutting boards I have made and sealed with Watco teak oil finish. Cleanup with all of them is just a quick scrub with detergent and hot water. If you seal the wood with the teak oil it requires no further maintenance until the nicks and cuts get deep enough to require sanding down again. Bug holes can be filled with beeswax or sanding dust and Titebond III as was mentioned.

My least favorite cutting boards are the HDPE ones such as commercial kitchens use. Those things hold meat particles like crazy in all the little slice marks, and they don't sand smooth very well. There is a different care philosophy involved, though, as those can stand any sort of bleaching or washing you like, and usually are fed through a high-temperature commercial dishwasher daily to disinfect them.

Gear

twc1964
11-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Years ago, my dad owned a small country store in lees creek ohio. He was the meat cutter- butcher in the back area and did it all. The cutting block was probably nearly 80yrs old then and was a cross section of a tree trunk with small logs for legs. He scrubbed that block every nite with scalding water and bleach to clean it. Nobody ever got sick from meat cut on that. Clean it well and all is good.

MtGun44
11-09-2014, 04:36 PM
MaryB beat me to it. Wooden cutting boards will not support bacteria on the surface. Of course,
filling the holes should be done, anyway since there could be a layer of guck in there not in
direct contact with the wood. I'd mix up some epoxy and sawdust and pack it in.

Tests have shown that, in reality, plastic cutting boards hold bacteria in the inevitable grooves
made by the knives, where wooden boards do not. However, our wonderful government
agencies require plastic cutting boards in food service "for sanitary reasons". Typical.

Bill

TXGunNut
11-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Tests have found that wood cutting boards are pretty sanitary. The wood compounds act as an antibacterial to prevent growth.

True story. Sometimes cleaner than the plastic ones. But I can't run a wooden board thru a dishwasher. With chicken and some other stuff I'll use plastic but most days the wood board is just fine.

wlc
11-09-2014, 06:33 PM
I have to use them(plastic) cause of food code, don't like them at all and would much rather have a good wood cutting board. Gear summed it up pretty good in his earlier post.

MaryB
11-09-2014, 09:17 PM
I use disposable cutting boards on chicken on top of a poly board. Poly boards can be smoothed by using a wide chisel to go across the surface or a dough scraper with a sharpened edge

Cowboy_Dan
11-10-2014, 12:49 AM
Be careful you are creating a possible health hazard. Unless that board is really cool or is a family piece, scrap it. They are not that hard to make.

You will never be able to seal those holes with anything that will not eventually srink/swell/crack and let food juices in and grow bacteria. No amount of any kind of oil will seal those areas. And dowels absobrb from the endgrain like crazy!

As said, woods are hygroscopic (absorb water like crazy) and anything borne in that water goes in as well! And can stay and grow.

I got rid of all our wooden cutting boards many years ago and now use only thick polypro or other plastic boards. Last much longer and can be easily washed with strong detergents. I have two that are from a counter-top job that are the best I have ever used.

banger

+1 I work in a kitchen and we aren't allowed to have anything wood, not even utensil handles.

7Acres
12-09-2014, 11:28 AM

Very cool.

We keep all of our wooden kitchenware soaked in mineral oil and/or salad bowl oil (15% beeswax, 85% mineral oil). This keeps the wood saturated and non-absorbent. Plus it keeps the wood well conditioned. End grain cutting boards are highly knife slice mark resistant. The grain opens up and cushions the knife edge then perfectly closes back up.

Honeybees collect wood resins and coat their hive with it. It is highly antibacterial, antiseptic and, antifungal. Wood resin can be applied to an open wound to protect it and aid in healing.

JWFilips
12-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Pure Beeswax... It is naturally antibacterial

MtGun44
12-10-2014, 01:55 AM
I love how the less sanitary plastic is REQUIRED instead of the wood which has been proven
to NOT support growth of any bacteria, actually immediately killing bacteria, regardless of the
fantasies of "stuff soaking in and bacteria growing".

Our government is often entirely at odds with reality.

Bill

smokeywolf
12-10-2014, 05:24 AM
Most trees have evolved chemical properties which fight the insects, molds and fungi that attack them. These chemicals also make the wood more bacteria resistant. The most effective chemical used in nature for protection of the plant is tannic acid. Higher levels of tannins, combined with tighter grain structure make walnut and mahogany two of the best woods for cutting boards; maple is a close third.
There is one more wood that is very popular for use as bowls, cutting boards and because of its resistance to molds and fungus, even bath tubs; Hinoki, which is a Japanese Cypress. The wood from Hinoki is comparatively high in essential oils which are known to contain naturally occurring antibacterial properties. In Japan, Hinoki cutting boards have been used for decades in sushi restaurants and fish markets.

We use both the plastic and wood cutting boards. Plastic just out of laziness, because it goes in the dishwasher. Wood is much more friendly to your knife blades. One of the better oils for treating and sealing your wood cutting boards is coconut oil, as it resists going rancid. Also, to make your board smell good and add further resistance to bacteria, rub it down occasionally with a cut lemon.

http://www.rhtubs.com/hinoki.htm

smokeywolf

paul h
12-10-2014, 12:43 PM
We got rid of our plastic cutting boards because of health concerns, and are using a wood cutting board I made 30 odd years ago in middle school. I should run it through a buddies surface sander to freshen up the cutting surface, and get another 30 years out of it.

w5pv
12-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Mine is a 2"x12"x24 board that has been used for a cutting board for about 40 years all we do is wash it with soapy water after each use and before we use it again.So far no sickness of any kind,it is used for red meat,fish,poultry and veggies I will be using it in the next day or so to cut up about a gallon bag of green onions.

MaryB
12-11-2014, 02:11 AM
Cooking just for myself I often cheat and toss a paper plate on the board to cut on. Makes for easy transfer to the pot, keeps chicken ick off the board better etc. But if I am cooking for a crowd I break out the big poly board.