PDA

View Full Version : Herters swage die?

wonderwolf
11-07-2014, 11:32 PM
I recently won a Herters .357 single swage die (like the CH-4d 105) off ebay, came with several extra SWC nose punches. Would have really liked to get my hands on a CH-4D #101 die set but since those are no longer made I had to settle on this. Anyways does anybody know what all herters offered for nose punches for these die sets? I'm going to lathe turn a few different ones for plinking. I have yet to swage any .357 stuff, is a draw die to bring 9mm down in one pass feasible? I just picked up a new toy last weekend I'm really going to put a lot of time and effort into, a 77/357 bolt action and I'm excited at the thought of making jacketed stuff for something other than my .22's.

Also...anybody have a #101 .357 die set they would like to see go down the road? [smilie=s: yes I could make my own dies but I'm having trouble with the point form part on a lot of these, I'm still working on my .375 set from a few years back. shop time is rare since I live far away from where the tools are :(

clodhopper
11-08-2014, 07:03 AM
If your die is about 1.080 inches long, has two outside diameters, one about .712 the other about 815. then it fits in the herters nine ton press.

wonderwolf
11-08-2014, 04:45 PM
If your die is about 1.080 inches long, has two outside diameters, one about .712 the other about 815. then it fits in the herters nine ton press.

Nope, sorry I didn't clarify it is threaded 7/8 14tpi just like the CH-4d dies were

Bent Ramrod
11-08-2014, 06:02 PM
Herter's offered RN, SWC and WC punches for their dies. There may have been other nose punches, but my Herter's catalog is packed away and I can't get to it. The punches were made to fit into a shell holder in the ram. Most of the ones I've seen look like the .30-06 shell holder would work.

These dies were made to swage the "Half-Jacketed" bullets that were all the rage in the late '50's-early '60's. The half jacket was like a deep gas check and the lack of lube on the lead forward of the half jacket caused leading. It would be worth tumbling the bullets in liquid Alox if any high velocity is contemplated.

I would advise against using any jacket long enough to crimp over the ogive of the bullet. These die sets were not stout enough to handle that kind of pressure. You might try to swage a piece of lead to see what diameter your die is going to produce before doing a jacket and lead assembly. Herter's stuff was made to a price, and precision not infrequently took a back seat, despite George L's advertising copy.

wonderwolf
11-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Herter's offered RN, SWC and WC punches for their dies. There may have been other nose punches, but my Herter's catalog is packed away and I can't get to it. The punches were made to fit into a shell holder in the ram. Most of the ones I've seen look like the .30-06 shell holder would work.

These dies were made to swage the "Half-Jacketed" bullets that were all the rage in the late '50's-early '60's. The half jacket was like a deep gas check and the lack of lube on the lead forward of the half jacket caused leading. It would be worth tumbling the bullets in liquid Alox if any high velocity is contemplated.

I would advise against using any jacket long enough to crimp over the ogive of the bullet. These die sets were not stout enough to handle that kind of pressure. You might try to swage a piece of lead to see what diameter your die is going to produce before doing a jacket and lead assembly. Herter's stuff was made to a price, and precision not infrequently took a back seat, despite George L's advertising copy.

Thanks, The nose punches on this set fit a .357 shell holder, which is better than my set for my .44 dies which fit the oddball .45 Auto Rim shell holder. I'll keep an eye out for half jackets or even 1/4 jackets. I have a supply for .44 and make my own for .22. Just need to figure out a cheap jacket source for this caliber.

Safeshot
11-15-2014, 11:26 AM
You might try using "cut off" fired .30 cal Carbine cases. They are VERY close to final dimensions desired. (Easy to swage).