PDA

View Full Version : Who here hides tobacco from their wives?

ShooterAZ
11-07-2014, 03:33 PM
I found it amusing this year at hunting camp that some of my buddies actually hide their tobacco. They were pulling out bags of chew, cans of Copenhagen, Cigars & Ciggies from all their prospective hiding places in their gear. Seriously? They take great pains to hide the stuff from the spouse. What happens at hunting camp stays at hunting camp? Anyone here do that? Don't answer if your wife reads here!

Goatwhiskers
11-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Don't worry, the wives know. They just choose to not say anything "at this time". GW

PB234
11-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Use tobacco and you stink from the smell. When you get cancer it was not a great idea to use it. The wives can smell it as easily as they decline to mention it and create a scene. The the smoker gets cancer or other illnesses and that is that.

bruce drake
11-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Considering the smells stays on a person despite the aromas of hunting camp..."its wood smoke! Honest!" I'm sure that they just might as well admit it as soon as they get home...

Bruce

starmac
11-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Surely nobody is going to cop to this. lol

ShooterAZ
11-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Don't worry, the wives know. They just choose to not say anything "at this time". GW

This is what I was thinking all along as well.

DHurtig
11-07-2014, 04:11 PM
When I quit smoking, it was 2 years before I quit reaching for my shirt pocket when I walked out the door. Almost 7 years since I quit and now smoke on some one else stinks, but standing next to some one smoking smells like heaven. Explain that if you can. Not near as often, but I still get an occasional craving.

JSnover
11-07-2014, 04:23 PM
When I quit smoking, it was 2 years before I quit reaching for my shirt pocket when I walked out the door. Almost 7 years since I quit and now smoke on some one else stinks, but standing next to some one smoking smells like heaven. Explain that if you can. Not near as often, but I still get an occasional craving.
Same here. Certain activities make wish for a cigarette. Drinking was a huge trigger, so I cut back on that.

FergusonTO35
11-07-2014, 04:33 PM
I hid cigs from my mom until I moved out of the house. I hid them from my wife the whole time we were dating and the first year of our marriage, although by the time I got married I had cut back to about two packs a week at the most. Quit for almost three years now and feel way better. I will admit I miss the pleasure of smoking but I'll gladly trade that for not stinking, not being out of breath all the time, not worrying about coming down with an illness caused by smoking, and everything else bad that comes with it.

Roosters
11-07-2014, 05:01 PM
I've been sorry for some of the things I did or started but never tried to hide or cover up anything. If you ask me something you can expect the truth and that’s what I will give you. Figure God knows so everyone else might as well to.

jcwit
11-07-2014, 06:42 PM
I hide nothing from my wife. I quit tobacco 15 years ago when I went in the hospital with leukimia. Quit booze at the same time, never looked back and miss neither, not even a little bit.

big bore 99
11-07-2014, 07:10 PM
I've smoked cigs for 50 years and no one trys to lecture me anymore. I guess I'd be a bad influence at the camp.

fatnhappy
11-07-2014, 07:10 PM
My father smoked 5 packs a day. I never had any interest in it.

SeabeeMan
11-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Since she hasn't yet given me reason to believe otherwise, I just assume she knows or can find out anything. It's a policy that hasn't failed me yet.

shooterg
11-07-2014, 07:29 PM
Can't hide it. Fact ; kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray. Tried one of the old man's unfiltered Camels when I was 8. Never again !

cbrick
11-07-2014, 08:30 PM
:veryconfu I don't hide cigs but what is this "wife" thing you mentioned?

Rick

Plate plinker
11-07-2014, 10:38 PM
I've smoked cigs for 50 years and no one trys to lecture me anymore. I guess I'd be a bad influence at the camp.
Sorry to drift, but wholly smoked that was a lot if smokes in one day. Never heard of that big of a habit.

btroj
11-07-2014, 10:39 PM
:veryconfu I don't hide cigs but what is this "wife" thing you mentioned?

Rick

Rick hid his wife from his tobacco, lucky for him he lost the wife

runfiverun
11-07-2014, 10:40 PM
I hide mine from the wife, it's not so she don't know, it's so she don't smoke mine and has to buy her own

smokeywolf
11-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Quit the tobacco habit 17 years ago. Owe it to my family to avoid cancer and/or emphysema.

rondog
11-08-2014, 02:01 AM
I quit cigarettes in '88 or '89, took up cigars. Quit cigars this June so I could have stomach surgery and not worry about ulcers. My wife smoked menthol cigs for 45 years, she finally quit about 3 weeks ago. Thank God. It's a horrible thing to live with, especially for an ex smoker.

Linstrum
11-08-2014, 09:16 AM
I started smoking back in 1966 when I was 16 by rolling my own Prince Albert. A few years later on in college I had the other kids ask me to roll their "doobies" for them because I was good at rolling smokes. I quit smoking from 1997 to 2009 but briefly started again when I got re-addicted to nicotine by getting juice from Nicotiana glauca bushes on my hands when I was cutting them down. Nicotiana glauca is a South American plant closely related to tobacco that contains a nicotine derivative more powerful than nicotine called anabasine, which is what I got on my hands. One big dose of anabasine will cause addiction, so instead of going through withdrawal I started smoking tobacco again until I psyched myself up to quit, which as most ex-smokers will tell you can often be bloody hard to accomplish. Took me three weeks of slowly cutting back but I was able to quit smoking again rather painlessly. If anyone is interested in quitting smoking but can't get past the first day, send me a private message and I'll tell you how I did it without suffering terribly.
rl 1,187

jaysouth
11-08-2014, 09:24 AM

I finally quit smoking after 20 years when I realized that NO cigarette I ever lit up and smoked would smell or taste as good as the one someone else was smoking 20 feet away.

Love Life
11-08-2014, 09:34 AM
I have smoked since I was 13 years old. It's a habit that will probably kill me young, but for a guy who never expected to see the age of 25 every past that is just gravy. I can still run 3 miles under 20 minutes and used to run 3 miles under 19 minutes. Lack of physical activity will steal a person's breath as much as or worse than smoking.

To answer the OP. No, I do not hide smoking from my wife. We have been together for 12 years now and I have smoked the entire time.

GhostHawk
11-08-2014, 09:55 AM
I went tobacco free 2 years ago.

I guess you could say I'm a vaper now.

I smoked a pipe for 40 years, I will be honest and admit that I am still a nicotine addict.

I kicked it once for almost 2 years but we are 2 different people, the me on nicotine, and the me without. The one without is like a knee sized dog that is constantly yapping, biting, dancing in circles between your legs demanding attention.

The other me, the me on nicotine is a porch dog. Barks once a month, very rarely bites and usually its an intruder or a case of mistaken identity.

Every time I start thinking about tapering down to quit my wife gives me a glare, and says NO. Your not quitting, I am NOT putting up with that @$$#@)%.

I use about 24 mg of nicotine a day, that is about the same as most smokers get per single cig.
I don't hide.
I don't need to. And I don't cheat, and I don't feel bad about myself. In fact I feel so much better since I quit, that it is amazing.
And every time I start thinking maybe I should taper off and quit the wife looks at me, shakes her head, and says "don't even THINK it" It isn't going to happen, ever.

Ok, I'm happy, I have my nicotine and my wife, and my health.

Anyone looking to join me please contact me at
billj69@gmail.net I'd love to help get you started.

Kent Fowler
11-08-2014, 02:57 PM
My dad died when I was 13 and my mother closed down his dental practice. She was going through the drugstore bills and noticed my dad had charged 2 boxes of Kleenex ever week for years. We were in the drugstore one day and she remarked to the druggist that she didn't see how my dad could use that much Kleenex a week. The druggist said, " Ruth, that wasn't Kleenix, it was Beech Nut chewing tobacco." She, then, asked if I knew Dad was chewing tobacco and got mad at me when I told her yes. She thought I should have ratted him off. No way, Mom.

arjacobson
11-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Nicotine is a VERY hard drug to kick. I have chewed off and on for 30 years. I smoked for a few years and that was very hard to give up. Much harder to give up than chew.

rondog
11-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Nicotine is a VERY hard drug to kick. I have chewed off and on for 30 years. I smoked for a few years and that was very hard to give up. Much harder to give up than chew.
I used to chew many, many, many years ago, yet I still dream about doing it. Don't have dreams about smoking, only chewing. And dreams of my old Harley Panhead chopper never go away!

Ramar
11-09-2014, 09:50 AM
My best buddy promised me, at my request, that if he was at my deathbed he would give me a smoke and a beer, just like in the movies back when. Yes it's absence still breeds a desire within me.
Ramar

Blacksmith
11-09-2014, 11:15 PM
I quit over twenty years ago and no longer miss it. I can't get my wife to quit. She hides her smoking from me, thinks I don't know she smuggles cigarets into the house, I just don't confront her any more it is not worth the hassle. Sort of the opposite of the OP.