PDA

View Full Version : Two cavity or six cavity Lee molds. Construction differences?

Tallbald
11-07-2014, 12:01 PM
With the help of many here and one gentleman who graciously took pity on a new caster with numerous PM's containing an additional wealth of information, I remain a neophyte caster, but am learning rather quickly. And I thank everyone many times over.
I started casting with a six cavity Lee 358-125-RF. It is my first mold, and although it took more to learn the nuances of casting with minimal equipment, I'm glad I bought the large mold. It's time though to save my dimes and buy another mold or two. One mold I'd like is the Lee 429-200-RF for .44 Magnum, which can be had as a two or six cavity mold. I've read a lot here on the forum and see that there's some differences in construction of the two versus six cavity molds besides number of cavities. I could be wrong, but I thought I read that construction of the two cavity molds was changed a little somewhere down the line also. Is that correct?
I'm now used to casting with the six cavity and like the speed. But are there other things to consider when choosing between the two and six cavity?The alignment method between mold halves differs. The six cavity mold has steel on steel pins. What about the two cavity? I have the handles for my present mold, so the extra cost of handles is a non-issue. What else is there that warrants the six cavity being so much more pricey besides the number of cavities? Anything that makes them easier to use, less prone to problems, or other small features? Oh. I did do a search on the topic and didn't find my questions specifically addressed. **I did however find and complete the modification to my six cavity mold consisting of drilling a countersunk hole for a shortened drywall screw at the cam point of the sprue handle where it meets the mold side. There was already wear showing that I just wrote off to my own new caster techniques. My thanks goes out to the originator of the modification idea. Don

tomme boy
11-07-2014, 12:49 PM
The new 2 cavity molds are the same set up of the pins to align the blocks as the six cavity. The old blocks are a type of tongue and groove setup. I would not worry about adding the screw you are talking about. The main thing with LEE molds if the sprue plate galling the top of the mold. The hinge it where I always ran into problems. Just make sure to not add too much lube so as it gets into the cavities.

tazman
11-07-2014, 01:06 PM
The new style 2 cavity molds are very good. The pins do a good job of lining up the mold halves. The only problem I have heard recently is having the attachment pins come loose where the blocks are held to the handles.
Not a big deal. Just drive back in and stake in place if they do actually come out.

bangerjim
11-07-2014, 01:10 PM
As said, the new ones have the same pins and sockets. Don't worry about it. Just buy what you need.

The 2 cav molds handles do NOT come off! Again, don't worry about it.

I cast with 6 bangers when that cal, design, and weight is made. When not, I buy the 2 bangers and cast perfect boolits with those also.

Casting is not rocket science. Just get out there and do it.....and do not overthink it!

banger

Maven
11-07-2014, 03:41 PM
"I did however find and complete the modification to my six cavity mold consisting of drilling a countersunk hole for a shortened drywall screw at the cam point of the sprue handle where it meets the mold side. There was already wear showing that I just wrote off to my own new caster techniques. My thanks goes out to the originator of the modification idea." Don

That would be Buckshot, Don.

Tallbald
11-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Excellent. Thank you all. Not the above-referenced mold yet (I need slug the two Ruger .44's and do a push-through-the-cylinder test first) but this morning I ordered a 50-25-REAL two cavity mold (not 6 cavity made that I saw) to use in my CVA Optima V2 pistol. Sabots are pricey, and I can't hunt any more. It's a bench gun and I've read here that one gentleman uses 50 grains of Triple Seven behind this bullet and has very good accuracy. And no sabot. I like that there are good changes to the new two cavity molds.
This forum is wonderful and I don't take for granted the kindness of respondents. Thanks. Don

tazman
11-07-2014, 09:49 PM
The 2 cav molds handles do NOT come off! Again, don't worry about it.

Sorry Banger but my experience says otherwise.
I recently bought a new style 2 cavity 255 grain for 45 colt and the handles came off on one side. The pin holding the blocks in place has been changed to a different style and can work loose and fall out during casting. I had to put it back in twice before I finally staked it in place and ended the problem.
Others have posted on this site about the same issue.

bangerjim
11-07-2014, 10:11 PM
I meant they are not removable like 6 bangers. Don't get do detailed in the written word. You have a defect in your mold if the handle pins come off[smilie=s:

tazman
11-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Actually the way they modified the new pins makes it look like they were trying to make them so they could be removed and replaced. The bottom of the pins are not really threaded but almost rifled so they turn when they are put in. The tops are cut for an Allen style wrench suggesting possible removal.
It seems they either didn't go far enough with the design change or shouldn't have changed it in the first place.
I don't have a firm opinion on that part yet. Will see how it goes from here.

As far as the written word, I usually assume some one writes exactly what they mean unless they correct my impression/misunderstanding of what they wrote.
It seemed to me you were stating that what I described could not have taken place, hence my response.

bangerjim
11-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Haven't bought a Lee 2 banger in 6 months so no telling what they have cobbled up these days.

What I write is what I would say face to face to anyone......minus the verbal and facial inflections. So you should not/cannot take anything written as pure unadlaterated gospel fact. I relly hate this medium of communications. Everybody on here takes everything as absolute fact. Not so! This is after all an opinion forum. Tons of comments and ideas from lots of people, knowledgable or otherwise.

Sure ANYTHING can fall off. And SURE stuff breaks. You were taking it to the extreme and describing a broken/malfunctioning mold which I have never seen with the over 20ea) 2 bangers I have and use regularly. But I was saying for the normal routine of things, those handles are not designed to come off. One does not need to worry about spending a few more $$ for handles for 2 banger Lee molds as the OP was opining about. (better say Lee because someone will no doubt pop up and mention those little hunks of steel made by Lyman and others! ) I use my 6 banger handles for those tiny ones too, with perfect success, because they were designed for the handles to come off. And they could make more money selling handles!!!!!! HA.....ha.

Have fun casting and shooting! :guntootsmiley:
I do not assume gospel about what anyone on here writes. :bigsmyl2: Well, there are TWO that I trust 100%.

Talk is cheap. Typing is even cheaper. I rely on my own common sense, wisdom, and MANY decades of engineering and hands-on experience in the fields of mechanics, woodworking, metalworking, chemistry, and physics.

banger

tazman
11-08-2014, 06:44 PM
I would never assume anything written on this site is the end all for casting/reloading. There is always something new or unusual coming along. Experimentation with previously unused combinations is what gave us many of the products and techniques we now use routinely.
I wouldn't call something someone described as happening to them as extreme simply because I had not seen it happen myself.
I have been doing casting and reloading for 40 years and also have some experience in some of the fields you mention. I don't consider that making me or you the last word on any topic.
You are quite right about talk being cheap.

My apologies to the OP for going off topic.

williamwaco
11-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Actually the way they modified the new pins makes it look like they were trying to make them so they could be removed and replaced. The bottom of the pins are not really threaded but almost rifled so they turn when they are put in. The tops are cut for an Allen style wrench suggesting possible removal.
It seems they either didn't go far enough with the design change or shouldn't have changed it in the first place.
I don't have a firm opinion on that part yet. Will see how it goes from here.

Ditto.

I have around a dozen lee two cavity molds. Only one of the new ones.

The pins immediately fell out. - After a couple hundred pours.
You can put them back but they will not stay.
I mounted the mold in a vice, drove the pins in flush with a small hammer then countersunk them with a nail set. Then with the same nail set, i peened the aluminum over the heads of the pins.
No more fall out.

Tallbald
11-08-2014, 10:26 PM
I'm thinking I wish there was a six cavity version of the 50-250-REAL. Don