PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota deer opener

ajjohns
11-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Starts tomorrow. I'm pumped! 303 Savage (my first deer rifle) is sighted and ready to go!! Three rounds of fatory 190, three rounds of 180 cast. The cast round goes in first.

starmac
11-07-2014, 04:28 PM
GOOD LUCK. I hope you get one with that fine old rifle. I have over the years turned down some awesome deals on 99's in 303, thinking they would always be there, but that was a mistake.

Loudenboomer
11-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Happy Hunting with your 99 Neighbor. I'll be hunting at my cabin 17 miles NE of Roseau, Mn. with a 86 win in 45-70 and a 340 gr lee HP. Dress warm. Tomorow's high about 25 with a 25 mph wind.

hightime
11-10-2014, 02:30 PM
I live in Duluth, but have Grandpa's old homestead west of Moose Lake. Just a hunting cabin in the woods. No other hunters for a mile, just my 37 year old son, 13 year old grandson and a new hunter a 10 year old grandson, and I. No luck this weekend, but a great weekend anyway.

Owen121407121408

GhostHawk
11-10-2014, 10:42 PM
I have to admit that while there are a lot of parts of deer hunting that I miss. I certainly did not miss being inside, warm, dry, and comfy this weekend. Looked like a positively miserable weekend to be hunting.

It makes it a bit easier knowing that the land I used to hunt back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's is all under new management, fenced, posted or otherwise no longer able to be hunted.

Call me Fat and Sassy in Fargo.

ajjohns
11-11-2014, 08:48 AM
I'm about 25 miles south east of Roseau. Not far from Hayes Lake State Park. Have not an opportunity, yet. Not much moving in the day and seems to be night activity. Yes, it's been cold! Funny, some years you barely have to dress warm, the next year you bundle up like winter time. Sometimes I miss the snow for season but glad we didn't get it like southern Mn.

hightime
11-11-2014, 09:35 AM
Lots of snow today. I need to deal with plowing and a little work. I walked my 1873 last night as the snow was coming down. I never saw one, but I was close, as one walked in my tracks I made a few minutes earlier. I sure like hunting in snow.

Owen

Jackpine
11-16-2014, 01:44 AM
Someone with an old rifle. Someone with a son to hunt with, then a grandson and then two grandsons. It just gets better and better!!!!

And no worries about the cold. This year I went to the same deer camp, two miles from the Canadian border, that I have gone to for 38 years. (we have told the same lies so many times, we've numbered them) Hardly left the cabin. Saw two does, never fired a shot. It was a great hunt!

Jackpine

roper
11-27-2014, 10:47 AM
122954This was my son's first deer. We come up from Ohio. Hubbard Cty. Old 1951 model 94. He got his second last year. Could'nt make the trip this yr. I didnt get mine last yr and hunted alone 2nd day. Heard wolf howl close just as the sun was coming over the top of the popple an pines. Love MN. It is special.

hightime
11-27-2014, 02:23 PM
Tough year for us. No deer. We only saw one, and as luck would have it, it was between my son and I on a trail with no shot after it stepped off. The four of us spent lots of hours waiting in stands for this poor result. I guess winter and wolves were hard on them. It was fun to have the family together though.