PDA

View Full Version : Just a very appreciative plug for TC

MBTcustom
11-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Couple years ago I bought a TC Hawken muzzle loader in 54 cal from a buddy. I've always wanted one of these rifles and the price on this one was very right on account of the rusty bore.
I had hoped that I could clean it up and repair it, but after much lapping, scrubbing, and work, it was apparent that it was never going to be right again.
Add to that the fact that I am far too busy to bother with it any longer due to the pressures of working two jobs, sick wife, 5 year old, etc etc etc.
The rifle got shelved for the last couple years.
I had considered buying a barrel blank and working it over, buying a finished barrel from TOTW, or sending it out to be rebored to 58 caliber, but considering how little I will use this firearm, I just couldn't justify it.

Well, today it was suggested to me that TC has a lifetime warranty on their rifles, and that I should call and see if they will help me with my plight. I was reluctant to do so, but I figured at the very least, they might be able to sell me a replacement cheap enough that I can swing it, so I made the call.
A very nice lady told me that they will take care of it for me. She took my email address and sent me a shipping label and told me to send the rotted out barrel in, and in 4-6 weeks, they will send me a replacement. Free of charge!

Obviously, words cannot express my gratitude at this wonderful gesture.
In the course of doing this, I became aware that TC and S&W share the same owners, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as S&W has a very good reputation for taking care of their customers. Even so, I can barely contain my excitement at the prospect of getting a new barrel on this wonderful rifle.
I just wanted to write and say that TC has just earned my repeat business and my sincere recommendation.

bubba.50
11-06-2014, 06:44 PM
I've fooled with T/C muzzleloaders for 40yrs & always had a good experience dealin' with their customer service. but, I've heard some horror stories lately so I hope they do send ya a new barrel & not a check for what THEY think it's worth. luck & have a good'en, bubba.

CastingFool
11-06-2014, 06:44 PM
They sent me a screw for a ramrod thimble on a .54 cal New Englander, after I contacted them.

MBTcustom
11-06-2014, 06:53 PM
I've fooled with T/C muzzleloaders for 40yrs & always had a good experience dealin' with their customer service. but, I've heard some horror stories lately so I hope they do send ya a new barrel & not a check for what THEY think it's worth. luck & have a good'en, bubba.

Well, it can't be any worse than where I'm at now. The rifle is not accurate at all, and if they do that, then I'm that much closer to plan A.
However, I will report what happens here after things are settled. Honestly, if I owned a ML company, I would stipulate that shooting BP substitutes voided any sort of warranty on a carbon steel barrel. The fact they are willing to look at it and possibly replace it is above and beyond IMHO.

starmac
11-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Glad to hear it and hope it comes out well. I had heard their support as far as sidelocks go has been lacking lately.

newton
11-06-2014, 11:02 PM
That sounds like a heck of a deal. The fact alone they sent you a label and are not making you pay for shipping has got to say something I would think.

I have to wonder if they would do the same for their stocks. I've got a couple renegades that split on me. If I remember right a guy I know contacted them about that one time but for some reason they were not able to do anything.

Let us know how it turns out.

MBTcustom
11-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Hey, if they told me they would send me a new barrel but it was going to cost $100, I'd be fine with that too! Beats the heck out of what I was looking to pay (not to mention the work I was going to have to do which I never will have time for).

bubba.50
11-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Renegade barrels will fit the 54cal hawken stock & ya can usually find one or two on evil-bay for somewhat reasonable prices. luck to ya & have a good'en, bubba.

JeffG
11-12-2014, 12:09 AM
I had a really good experience with them about 22-23 years ago. I'd bought a TC .50 cal Hawken from a LGS and it happened to be a kit model somebody had put together and done a very nice job on. One day while shooting it dropped and the stock cracked at the wrist pretty bad. I called them, told them it was a kit and they said to send it in, they'd take care of it. I was shocked. It wears some brass embellishment now with a 1 in 70 Green Mountain RB barrel and Lyman peep sight front and back. It's a great shooter. 70gr FF behind a .020 patched .500 RB.

deerslayer303
11-12-2014, 12:36 AM
That's awesome, I'm eager to hear what they do and how it turns out. One of these days I will luck up on a TC Hawken, I've passed on a couple because of rusty bores, go figure.

triggerhappy243
11-18-2014, 04:52 PM
goodsteel, keep us informed as to what they will do with your barrel. I have an extra 54 cal. barrel that is pitted pretty bad. got it at a yardsale. $5.00. if s&w warrenty yours, i will send them mine,

I like mine, had it for 30 years.

OverMax
11-21-2014, 09:13 PM
T/C's Customer Service and the quality of their rifles is why I own T/C's only. All six of em traditional's. What ever the outcome Goodsteel I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Guido4198
11-28-2014, 06:42 AM
I inherited a T/C "Hawken" flintlock rifle that I had purchased in the 1970's and gave to a cousin as a gift. After he passed away..the rifle came back to me...with a broken frizzen.
I heard some of the same bad reports about S&W's treatment of T//C products. I decided to see for myself. I called S&W's Thompson Center service number, and must have gotten the same nice lady. She assured me that S&W was supporting the T/C lifetime warranty. She sent me a shipping label, told me to send in the lock from the old rifle and sent me an entire NEW lock. This bit of awesome customer service is particularly significant because since the 1970's T/C made some important improvements to their flintlocks.
I enjoy sharing this report whenever it's appropriate. KUDOS to S&W...!!!!!
Other people may have different experience....that was Mine.

triggerhappy243
10-14-2015, 01:03 AM
goodsteel, did you ever hear anything from T/C about your barrel?