PDA

View Full Version : New to me Win 94

charlie b
11-06-2014, 01:07 PM
OK, so first post but long time shooter/reloader/caster.

Also, first time I have owned a lever action. Through a series of events I got a 70's production model 94 in .30-30. Case is not new to me as I used to shoot a Contender in .30 Herrett.

I think this thing has only had a few boxes of shells shot through it. Even the finish isn't bad for a post '64 gun. Action cycles nicely, not as smoothly as my dad's 1920's vintage 94, but, still nice.

Shot the first rounds through it this morning at the indoor range. At 30yds it would make one cloverleaf with three rounds as long as I did my part.

So, the question. Most of the cases ejected had a pretty good dent on the mouth. If I levered back slowly and picked the cases out of the receiver they were fine. Is this normal or is there a timing thing that can fix that or is there a technique for cycling the action that will reduce it?

Just for the record, this will be my truck/brush/plinking gun. Plan on shooting reduced cast bullets for most of it's life. It will also gain a Williams rcvr sight (old eyes :) ).

Oh, and thanks for everyone who posts in here. Have learned a lot just by lurking around for a couple of years, especially the threads on reduces loads and powders.

TXGunNut
11-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Haven't seen case mouth dings on my 94's but suspect it has something to do with the extractor. May be worth a look to see if it's dinged, chipped or otherwise out of shape. May want to run this past the guys over in the gunsmith section. My Colt Defender carry gun had an annoying habit of bouncing cases of the shooter's forehead, may be why it was in the gun case instead of someone's holster.
Sounds like the rifle's a keeper, hope it works out for you. Personally I can't imagine doing without a levergun, glad you finally added one to your stable.
Good first post, glad you finally quit lurking!

OuchHot!
11-07-2014, 03:44 PM
I came to the conclusion the dent came from the case hitting the bolt as it clears. Since the weapon did what it was supposed to do (get rid of the empty brass) I didn't try to "improve" it and possibly compromise the primary function. I don't reload a thousand .30-30's at a time so I just use a tapered drift to straighten the mouth a little. The taper on the neck expander plug does the rest.

charlie b
11-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Thanks all. Will probably just be a bit more careful with the lever when just shooting at the range.

Yep, I have a taper punch that I use for such things.

Now to do some reloading and see how it does. Am really looking forward to reduced loads with 4895 and even some mouse loads for the wife to shoot.

sthwestvictoria
11-10-2014, 06:25 AM
http://i62.tinypic.com/30vm840.jpg
Only 50metres with aperture sights however a lovely light load. AR2206H is made by ADI and shipped to USA, re-packaged to Hodgdon 4895. I am afraid I don't have velocity for this load.

11-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Welcome. The Speer manual has a reduced load table for many cartridges as a part of it regular offering. Have enjoyed many iterations for various cartridges.

charlie b
11-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Thanks, one of the first loads I will be trying out. :)

Only 50metres with aperture sights however a lovely light load. AR2206H is made by ADI and shipped to USA, re-packaged to Hodgdon 4895. I am afraid I don't have velocity for this load.