PDA

View Full Version : Need to get set up to load 30-30... looking for a neck size die.

mattw
11-06-2014, 09:44 AM
I only have 1 30-30 and really need to get set up to load for it... I am not having any luck finding a neck die for it, do they exist? I have neck dies for all of my bench guns and like the results. BTW, I will be shooting them in a mid 70's Winchester lever. Could I use a 308 neck die with a 30-30 case?

I still need to find dies for the caliber as well, would like to find a set with a full length carbide die... but could lube cases considering it will not get shot that much.

Matt

bedbugbilly
11-06-2014, 10:10 AM
I'm going through the same thing in getting set up to load 30-30. For FL sizing, I picked up an older set of Lyman AA dies off of eBay that were fairly inexpensive. I then ran across a RCBS neck sizing die on there as well. Check MidwayUSA or similar and see what they have. I believe Hornady also makes a neck sizing die as well.

I like using the Lyman 310 hand loading tools and I picked up a set of 30-30 310 dies for that as well. If you can't find a neck die - you might check and look around and see if you can find a Lyman 310 30-30 neck die. The 310 die would be the smaller 5/8" die but you could get an adapter to use it in your press that takes regular 3/4" dies.

At least you're a step ahead of me! I had a 30-30 rifle I was looking at in the LGS I haunt - it had been there for months. I decided to go buy it and the day before I got there, it sold. Still looking but I'll run across something and be prepared to re-load when I do. I haven't shot a 30-30 in forty years but I used to love that cartridge for deer hunting.

375supermag
11-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Hi...

Everything I have read about carbide dies for rifle calibers leads me to the understanding that while possible, they would be prohibitively expensive.

I would like to see them offered, so that I could decide exactly what "prohibitively" actually means.

GRUMPA
11-06-2014, 10:18 AM
When folks ask me about neck sizer dies I generally come back with the following. Once your full length sizer is set to your machine, to your particular tastes as far as how well the cases fit in your chamber etc. Just back off the sizer die about 1/2-1/4 turn and use it as a neck sizer die.

Just my .02

mattw
11-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Carbide dies for rifles are expensive. I have sets for 222,222mag,223,30/06 and 6mm/284. The 6mm/284 dies + case forming die ran somewhere around 190 many years ago, now they are Redding BR dies which did not help. I do not get much time for the bench rifles anymore, I am 49 and have 2 kids 7 and 12. So, I am shooting what ever I can squeeze in when I can... thus the 30-30 and 22's and lots of pistols.

mattw
11-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Grumpa, I will likely go that route. I have done that before as well.

nagantguy
11-06-2014, 10:48 AM
When folks ask me about neck sizer dies I generally come back with the following. Once your full length sizer is set to your machine, to your particular tastes as far as how well the cases fit in your chamber etc. Just back off the sizer die about 1/2-1/4 turn and use it as a neck sizer die.

Just my .02

+1 on this!

Nueces
11-06-2014, 11:03 AM
The Lee collet neck sizer die is inexpensive and doesn't touch the case body. You can order mandrels of differing diameters as appropriate for boolits, too.

dragonrider
11-06-2014, 11:28 AM
What he ^ said. http://leeprecision.com/collet-dies-30-30.html

mattw
11-06-2014, 11:42 AM
I have never used those dies, do you find that they will shave lead when seating bullets? Is a mild chamfer on the case mouth enough to prevent that from happening? This old rifle will be a cast shooter only.

mdi
11-06-2014, 12:43 PM
If the case mouth is not chamfered and/or flared, there is a good chance of shaving lead with any seating die. A lead bullet needs a smooth transition into the case and no sharp edges...

mattw
11-06-2014, 12:47 PM
That has always been me experiance as well. I am not a lee fan, but think I will get an ultimate set and use a very mild expansion with an m step 30 die.

tdoor4570
11-06-2014, 01:05 PM

Just my .02

Instead of backing the die off I just put a 7/8 sae hard flat washer under the die , that backs off the die and I neck size fron there

Love Life
11-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't even bother setting the die up for neck sizing. If you load for benchrest then you have the tools to measure your shoulder bump. FL size and bump the shoulder .002.

If you shoot enough, even with neck sizing, your going to have to bump the shoulder at some point so you might as well set up your dies to shoulder bump .002 every time with the FL die.

Using this method I have been able to shoot very well as have others I shoot with.

I always FL sized for 2 reasons:
1) My rifles never showed me that just neck sizing was better.
2) Absolute reliability because I also use the rifles for hunting.

starmac
11-06-2014, 04:01 PM
If I was going to have to get dies to start with, I would give the rcbs x dies a hard look. I have never used them, but those that do sure praise them, and claim after the initial case trimming, they are done.

country gent
11-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Carbide dies in 223 and 308 used to be available from dillion. They were expensive the seater only were around $200.00 if I remember corectly and they still required cases to be lubed. The advantage was wear resistance and less "swell" on hard to size cases. As said above in a lever action buping the shoulder back .002 and the light size on the body a full length die will give makes funtioning so much easier and smoother. Setting the die to bump .002 and a .020-.030 thick shim under it makes for a neck size only and possible a very light squeeze on the case body. You can experiment to prove what works in your rifle as far as accuracy goes. I use a .060 shim cut from banding under my BPCR sseating dies for when I dont want a crimp. Works very good and when I want the crimp dies are set to go with out the shimm.

oldfart1956
11-06-2014, 10:01 PM
That has always been me experiance as well. I am not a lee fan, but think I will get an ultimate set and use a very mild expansion with an m step 30 die.Good choice on the Lee Ultimate set Mattw. Here's a few suggestions. The dies are going to be set up for .308 dia. bullets. Since you're going with cast you'll probably end up with .310/.311 dia. boolits for a correct fit. When you order the dies add in a new Lee EZ-Expander for the .303 British. This is the expander rod/primer punch part...and it will be much closer to cast boolit size. Lees' 30/30 expander is .3075 and you don't want to keep downsizing the necks and then expanding them up too much as it fatigues the brass. The part cost about $3. That covers the full length sizing die. The Ultimate set also includes the neck-sizing only collet die. Add a new .303 British collet and mandrel (about $15 total) and install them in the neck sizing die. Now you can full length size if needed (often needed in a lever gun) or just neck size. I still use a Lyman M die to do a final expansion but a Lee Universal Case Expanding die would probably serve as well. I've found the Lee Factory Crimp Die (included in the set) to work perfectly when adjusted properly. Audie...the longwinded Oldfart.

mattw
11-06-2014, 11:10 PM
Yes, it will be a cast only shooter... It slugged at .3095, plan to size to .311. I love the M step dies, and I love the Lee facory crimp die as well... The ideal set for most of my rifles is RCBS FL sizer, Lyman expander RCBS seat die and Lee factory crimp. I may just end up putting together a set from our next gun show, but I really wanted to load some next week and I will not have a chance to get to a show that soon. I was hoping a basic set of RCBS would show up here so that I could get the base set started. I can't post in for sale yet, so I can't go ask for them...

Matt

Wayne Smith
11-07-2014, 08:51 AM
I don't think you have said what gun you are shooting, but if it is a lever action you really don't want a neck only die. The lever does not have the camming action of a bolt action and needs a FL sized case. If you are shooting a 30-30 bolt go for it!

oldfart1956
11-08-2014, 03:24 AM
I don't think you have said what gun you are shooting, but if it is a lever action you really don't want a neck only die. The lever does not have the camming action of a bolt action and needs a FL sized case. If you are shooting a 30-30 bolt go for it!
From his first post...3rd. sentence...shooting them in a mid-70's Winchester lever action. ;) Audie....the Oldfart.

GabbyM
11-08-2014, 12:40 PM
For 30-30 I bought an RCBS Cowboy die set. I love it. Has a very nice neck expander for cast boolits. Plus it doesn't over size the neck before expanding.

I earlier bought a Hornady universal 30 caliber neck die. It horribly over sizes the neck. Even on thin 30-30 brass. Plus there is nothing holding the case straight.

gwpercle
11-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Get both dies, at some point you will need a full length size. Also once fired brass is cheap and plentiful and will need to be FL sized to insure it will fit your rifle.
The 30-30 is just made for cast boolits, it's my favorite now.
Gary