PDA

View Full Version : "Ruger Loads" -- Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Super Redhawk

NavyVet1959
11-05-2014, 09:29 PM
I see various reloading recipes that allow for hotter charges on "Ruger Blackhawk" handguns vs others. From what I've gathered, the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk are the same strength. What about the Super Redhawk? I saw one place where a person was saying that the Super Redhawk was even stronger than the BH and SBH since it handles the .454 Casull and .480 Ruger, albeit with a different heat treating on the cylinder on the .454 Casull supposedly.

I have a Super Blackhawk in .44 mag and was wondering how far I could push it.

DougGuy
11-05-2014, 09:39 PM
I have a Super Blackhawk in .44 mag and was wondering how far I could push it.

That's an easy one. 36,000psi is the current SAAMI pressure ceiling for the .44 Magnum. Anything after that, just buy a bigger/stronger gun, that's what they invented the FA and the BFR revolver for.

SAAMI -used- to be 40k psi but S&W couldn't keep their guns from shooting loose and too many warranty repairs made them petition SAAMI to drop it to 36k which they did.

As far as how far you can push a SBH, it is somewhere north of 60k before you will have catastrophic failures but why even go there. If you want a Casull, buy a Casull!

5Shot
11-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Redhawk has a bit thicker cylinder walls due to it's larger diameter cylinder. 454 and 480 use a different steel for the cylinder in order to achieve the high tensile required for the proof loads.

The guns themselves are all about the same. Many Blackhawks have fired thousands of rounds of 454 level loads and 474 & 500 Linebaugh loads when fitted with 5 Shot Cylinders.

5Shot
11-05-2014, 09:44 PM
As far as how far you can push a SBH, it is somewhere north of 60k before you will have catastrophic failures but why even go there. If you want a Casull, buy a Casull!

Cause the one I got from Clements is way prettier...

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3887/15003078049_452dcb451f_c.jpg

NavyVet1959
11-05-2014, 09:53 PM
That's an easy one. 36,000psi is the current SAAMI pressure ceiling for the .44 Magnum. Anything after that, just buy a bigger/stronger gun, that's what they invented the FA and the BFR revolver for.

SAAMI -used- to be 40k psi but S&W couldn't keep their guns from shooting loose and too many warranty repairs made them petition SAAMI to drop it to 36k which they did.

The reason I want to know is because I already have a Super Redhawk in .44 mag along with also already being setup to reload for it and having 1000 pieces of brass and Iwas curious whether I can use the "Ruger Blackhawk" loads that I see published. If I was just wanting buy a bigger handgun, I would buy one that could shoot .45-70 since I'm already setup to reload for that also.

So, is it generally agreed that the Super REDhawk is stronger than the Blackhawk / Super Blackhawk?

TCLouis
11-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Navyvet1959

Load any load meant for revolvers you find in any reloading manual from a powder or bullet company and you should have no problem shooting it out of a Super Redhawk.

5Shot
11-05-2014, 11:07 PM
A 44 Redhawk should last 3 lifetimes with full power loads.

However, there is no such thing as Ruger only 44 loads. 45 Colt, yes...44, no.

dubber123
11-06-2014, 08:45 AM
I don't recommend overloading guns on purpose when there is a possible safety concern. However I think if this is a Super REDhawk in .44 mag, you have a significant safety margin over many other models. You should read Brian Pearces article on loading the .45 Colt in a regular old Redhawk. Due to the cylinder length/diameter, he ran loads into the 50,000 Psi. range and felt safe in publishing them. Your Super Redhawk is even beefier, and has more material in the cylinder due to the smaller cartridge. I wouldn't personally be afraid to stand on the gas a bit if thats your game. I'd make sure they didn't find their way into any 4 screw S&W's though. Good luck.

FLHTC
11-06-2014, 10:17 AM
The reason I want to know is because I already have a Super Redhawk in .44 mag along with also already being setup to reload for it and having 1000 pieces of brass and Iwas curious whether I can use the "Ruger Blackhawk" loads that I see published. If I was just wanting buy a bigger handgun, I would buy one that could shoot .45-70 since I'm already setup to reload for that also.

So, is it generally agreed that the Super REDhawk is stronger than the Blackhawk / Super Blackhawk?

Put it this way, you won't find published data that would harm your gun. I've owned two SRHs in each barrel length and they are up there with BFRs.

Shuz
11-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Cause the one I got from Clements is way prettier...

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3887/15003078049_452dcb451f_c.jpg
What a beautiful handgun!--Shuz

5Shot
11-06-2014, 11:06 AM
What a beautiful handgun!--Shuz

If you're nice, I'll let you shoot it !

pkie44
11-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Ruger loads mostly refer to the 45 Colt. Redhawk and Super Redhawk cylinder length allows bullets with a longer nose to crimp length with the appropriate bump of the powder charge. C.O.L prevents use in Super Blackhawk.

High Desert Hunter
11-06-2014, 07:03 PM
I know that Garrett sells Redhawk (Super Redhawk as well) loads in 44, and I know there are Redhawk only 45 Colt Loads that are at 50,000 psi. The Redhawk is absolutely stronger than the Blackhawk line, and has a longer cylinder for more powder room with bigger bullets.

Shuz
11-07-2014, 11:20 AM
If you're nice, I'll let you shoot it !
You know I live about 10 miles from you and the road is all paved!
My range is open!

Dframe
11-07-2014, 11:54 AM

What he said!! I've always been baffled by people who try to push a gun to levels it was never designed for. If you need a more powerful gun buy one.

lefty o
11-07-2014, 12:20 PM
in terms of strength, weakest is the blackhawk, and the rare older fluted cylinder superblackhawks, then the superblackhawk, which will take any sane load most people would ever consider. and lastly the super redhawk has just a little more meat in the cylinders allowing for a little more safety margin. if you manage to blow up any of these revolvers, your loads have repetetively been way over any normal load, or maybe even just one big one over 100,000psi!!!!!!

5Shot
11-07-2014, 12:37 PM
You know I live about 10 miles from you and the road is all paved!
My range is open!

That it is!