PDA

View Full Version : remelting coated lead

YoGerry
11-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Hi guys,
I picked up a few pounds of Alox coated pure lead .30cal cast lead balls. I have nothing to shoot them thru, so I figured I would melt em' down into .356 for the 9mm. Should I have concerns about the Alox? or will it just burn off into the slag?

Thanx all,

Gerry

tazman
11-05-2014, 08:35 PM
The alox will serve as flux, but it will smoke a lot. Stir it in and set the smoke on fire. Other than that, no problems.

bangerjim
11-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Just melt them as said. Alox is just grease.

Flux with pine sawdust to get rid of any oxides that are there.

Cast away!

banger

lead-1
11-06-2014, 07:12 AM
I just remelt the alox coated boolits but have been wondering about the powder coated boolits. I know I won't put them in my casting pot but don't want to ruin lead in my smelting pot either.

HATCH
11-06-2014, 07:21 AM
Just make sure you are well ventilated.
I have melted down Hitek coated boolits.
Those are pretty neat. You end up with a little shell of a boolit floating on the top of the melt.

mdi
11-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Yesterday I melted mebbe 50 assorted calibers, and colors of PCed bullets. No big deal, just kept the door open and the fan going like I always do when casting. As mentioned above, just melt the alox coated bullets with no special precautions needed...

44man
11-06-2014, 02:08 PM
No problem except you might not want to shoot pure from the nine.

YoGerry
11-07-2014, 07:36 PM
No problem except you might not want to shoot pure from the nine.

No way! :) I plan to blend an alloy when I get the materials.

You know, WAY back in the day....we used to add a little horsehair oakum into our lead pot when pouring caulk joints in cast iron drain lines. I think it helped with getting the slag to float?, I dunno? Makes me sad to think of all the virgin lead we gave away to the scrap yard just to get it out of the shop! Maybe in another 30 years we will use copper for pouring boolits! :)

Gerry