PDA

View Full Version : shooting and prescription glasses

hiram
11-05-2014, 06:29 PM
What shooting glasses do you wear over your prescription glasses?

GOPHER SLAYER
11-05-2014, 06:37 PM
I don't wear anything over my prescription glasses. I do have prescription sun glasses that I wear if it is a very bright and sunny day.

bangerjim
11-05-2014, 06:43 PM
I wear script safety glasses with tinted side shields.

Being a "4 eyes" is bad enough without adding another pair of plastic glasses in front of those!!!!!

banger

Harter66
11-05-2014, 07:38 PM
I wear safety glasses most of the time ,my street glasses are also safety frames with poly carbonate blended bifocal transition lenses.

pworley1
11-05-2014, 07:48 PM
I wear prescription safety glasses.

btroj
11-05-2014, 08:44 PM
I went to contacts and now wear any glasses I want.

wv109323
11-05-2014, 10:32 PM
Most people do not put anything over their glasses unless it is for the sun. Shooting glasses are needed for two reasons. First and foremost is for eye protection. For that you need lens that are impact resistance. There are two grades of impact resistance available for prescription glasses.
The next reason is the same reason people wear glasses and that is to correct your eye vision. Depending on your age and what you are shooting( iron sights) depends on what you correct for. If you have aging eyes and need reading glasses then you probably can not focus your eyes on the front sight as you need to do. With normal bifocals you do not use the bifocal unless looking down through the bifocal lens. " Shooting glasses" can be as simple as a set of glasses that the entire lens is the same strength as your reading bifocal.( These can be a clip-on over your regular glasses also).
With scopes generally no correction is needed.

DCM
11-06-2014, 12:00 AM
I wear prescription safety glasses almost all of the time, shooting, work etc. etc.
I learned the hard way long before I needed a prescription that safety glasses are very good things. OUCH!

MaryB
11-06-2014, 02:23 AM
I always get safety lenses, was required when I was working and I still do a little wood working, soldering etc where things can head for the eyes. Bounced a nail off not to long ago when the nail gun hit a bad spot and the nail went through, bounced off the house and came back at my face. That could have hurt if it hit the eye, instead it just added a new scratch to the lens on the right side.

GoodOlBoy
11-06-2014, 05:41 AM
Nope just wear my glasses. I have YET to find "shooting" or "safety" glasses that fit worth a DARNED over my prescrips.

GoodOlBoy

shooter2
11-06-2014, 07:40 AM
Nothing!

Lead Fred
11-06-2014, 07:45 AM
Ive posted it before, there is a company that will make your prescription on a dot that sticks to safety glasses

You can add it to any glasses, or face shield

Garyshome
11-06-2014, 08:34 AM
None. Contact lenses and now wear any safety/sun glasses.

bobthenailer
11-06-2014, 08:56 AM
When i still shot alot of open sighted handguns i used a Merit optical disc along with different power reading glasses in conjunction with a few different colored clip on shooting glasses that worked well for me ! i was able to see the target and front and rear sight perfectly. at any range from 25' to 100 yards , even though i wear scrip glasses all the time for every day use.

Im now 66, and now most of my handguns have red dot sight and a few more with a scope. a GOD Send for aging eyes , now i have to figure how to control the constant shakes that have been slowly sneaking up on me for the past 10 years ! ( just getting old i guess ) for the last 2 years when BE shooting i now have to use a two hand hold to shoot as well as i did with one hand in the past, ( senior shooter discount ) but im still regulary shooting scores in the 290+ range

375supermag
11-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Hi...

Back when I shot handguns competitively, my eye doctor adjusted my prescription so that I could maintain focus on the front sight, whether with contacts or conventional eyeglasses.

When wearing contacts, I wore tinted shooting glasses over my contacts. the tint was dependent on whether it was sunny, cloudy, etc. The various tints really did help with my vision.

Now that I wear eyeglasses with bifocals all the time, I sometimes wear a pair of tinted shooting glasses, but less and less often.

I quit shooting competitively when my vision no longer allowed me to be competitive. No matter how much I practiced or how many rounds I sent down range, I simply could not improve my scores. So, now I only shoot for fun...still pretty good, but I never reached the level that I had aspired to.

lefty o
11-06-2014, 12:56 PM
my prescription glasses are impact resistant, and i had them made for distance only, that way i can shoot with them.

garym1a2
11-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Walmart prescription safety glass are the best for cost I have found.