PDA

View Full Version : Front sight for Colt NS flat top target revolver

herbert buckland
11-05-2014, 05:47 PM
I have a Colt New Serves target revolver made in 1914 in excellent condition,it is the most accurate revolver I have ever used but because the original front sight is very high it shoots about 12 inches low at 25 meters,I was wondering if there is a lower original type replacement front sight available for this revolver

captaint
11-05-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm guessing here, but the front sight is probably not "replaceable". I don't think I have ever seen pins that hold those sights on the barrel. I do know that some folks will file down the sight to come closer to POA. BUT - I wouldn't do that until I had played with different loads first and MADE SURE the sight is not replaceable. I'm not fond of the idea of modifying nice old revolvers. That's just me.... 12 inches @ 25 meters is a lot, but try some different loads anyhow. Mike

herbert buckland
11-05-2014, 07:44 PM
The flat top Colt target revolvers have removable front blades held in with a screw,the later one were adjustable I think, but mine is a blade with a bead on top,I can make a blade that will work but I am really after a original style one

rintinglen
11-06-2014, 03:44 AM
Whatever you do, don't file the front sight! You'll only raise the POI if you do. To lower the group to the sights, the front sight needs to be taller by about .01 inches, or the rear sight needs to be raised .01 inches. Lyman made replacement front sights as did King's, both of which turn up on Ebay from time to time.

junkpile
11-10-2014, 12:19 AM
Whatever you do, don't file the front sight! You'll only raise the POI if you do. To lower the group to the sights, the front sight needs to be taller by about .01 inches, or the rear sight needs to be raised .01 inches. Lyman made replacement front sights as did King's, both of which turn up on Ebay from time to time.

He wants to raise the POI. It's hitting low currently.

rintinglen
11-10-2014, 03:35 AM
Holy carp! I need to learn to read with my glasses on! Somehow I got the "High" and "low" reversed in my brain when I read it. Still, the math is sound, only it will need a .01 shorter front sight.