PDA

View Full Version : Forster case neck turner.

waco
11-05-2014, 01:13 PM
The one that attached to your case trimmer. How well does it work? Looks like I can get one for under $40 at midway. Pilots are $10 each.
I have a 30-30 contender barrel with a very tight throat. Not to mention turning necks will be useful other places as well.
Just wanted to know your thoughts on this product. Easy to set up? Consistent? Ect...
waco

Char-Gar
11-05-2014, 01:48 PM
I have one and use it from time to time. It is neither as easy to use or as precise as the higher priced units, but it works just fine for what 99.9% of us want it to do.

kungfustyle
11-05-2014, 03:01 PM
I had to use one for my 8mm Mauser 06 trimmed cases. I used the Lyman attachment but the hand held models are better. Break it out and trim them up while your watching TV....You'll only have to do it once....

fourarmed
11-05-2014, 03:13 PM
The only time I have used mine was to turn the necks of .270 max cases made from .357 max cases. This was close to ten years ago, and I am still using those cases. I have lost only a handful to neck splits in that time, and they have been fired and reloaded probably ten times.

Dan Cash
11-05-2014, 03:21 PM
I don't need to use mine very often but when I do, it sure does the job. I dispensed with part of the gizmo that controls the rate of feed down the neck as it is not needed by me. Without that, the tool is very easy to use and my case necks come out round and uniform to what ever size I have set the cutter.

MT Chambers
11-05-2014, 06:23 PM
I'm a big fan of Forster equip., dies, presses, etc. but for this chore I choose Sinclair, they are very involved in benchrest accuracy type gear, and their neck turning equip. is top notch!

Larry Gibson
11-05-2014, 07:51 PM
I've got 2 Forster Neck turning tools. Had them for many years and have used them a lot. They work very well in my opinion.

Larry Gibson

geargnasher
11-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Fiddly to set up and adjust, but work just fine and last a long time. If you happen to be one who has trouble using the Lee hardness tester (many here complain about it), get a different brand of neck turning device.

Gear

plainsman456
11-05-2014, 09:13 PM
I have one and use it to turn the necks on reformed 7mm brass to 7x61s&h.

It does a good job as long as you measure well and take your time.

waco
11-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Fiddly to set up and adjust, but work just fine and last a long time. If you happen to be one who has trouble using the Lee hardness tester (many here complain about it), get a different brand of neck turning device.

Gear

Ian, what would you suggest for turning necks in the $70 range? A hand held of some sort?

geargnasher
11-05-2014, 09:50 PM
If you're investing for the first time, I'd say look at the K&M Precision neck turning setup. More than 70 clams, but I'll bet it works better for you. BjornB has one and after discussing it with him, it will be the next major tool I buy. You could buy the Forster handheld unit, but be careful about mandrels, I don't think they interchange with the bench mounted unit for some stupid reason.

Gear

r1kk1
11-05-2014, 09:54 PM
If you're investing for the first time, I'd say look at the K&M Precision neck turning setup. More than 70 clams, but I'll bet it works better for you. BjornB has one and after discussing it with him, it will be the next major tool I buy. You could buy the Forster handheld unit, but be careful about mandrels, I don't think they interchange with the bench mounted unit for some stupid reason.

Gear

thats what I use, plus the primer seater gauge, arbor press with force gauge.

take care

r1kk1

waco
11-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Ugh....Too many other things I need and not enough scratch....

Forster hand held might have to do.

Thanks for the input fellas.

MattOrgan
11-05-2014, 10:42 PM
Forster makes two outside neck turners. One for use in the case trimmer, one hand held. I have both, the trimmer mounted one is faster and the stop collar can be set to prevent from cutting into the neck/shoulder junction too deep. It also has a cam that allows even feeding down the neck. I find it a pain to use so I don't. The hand held one is like the Sinclair or other bench rest style but not as refined. The case holder is kinda cheesy compared to others. I like it because you can sit anywhere and turn necks, no bench needed to hold the case trimmer base. Both work well, keep a reference case to use as a set up gauge. A tubing micrometer is nice, but not necessary, but get the necks to thin or cutting into shoulder/neck junction can result in cracked necks or missing necks upon firing.

As someone posted above the neck turning mandrels do not interchange between the trimmer turner and the hand held turner which is as shame. Overall either is a good tool.