PDA

View Full Version : Hot Dipped Galvanize Pipe

TX BOOMER
02-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Guy's I was putting some pipping on my smelter and all I had was hot dipped galvanize pipe . I got this feeling that this type of pipe would be a bad ideal .Because of maybe the galvanize would come off and mess up the melt. Tell me what you think. Thanks:Fire:

SwedeNelson
02-09-2008, 02:37 PM
TX Boomer

Galvanizing is zinc
Not good.

Swede Nelson

357maximum
02-09-2008, 05:02 PM
I think you need to go to the store and buy what you need in black iron pipe, just to be safer than sorrierrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.:-D

MT Gianni
02-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Are you using this as a fuel supplty line or near the smelting pot? Fuel supply may be OK [it is against code as it will come of and plug orifices]. I would not have it in a pot. Gianni

VTDW
02-09-2008, 05:15 PM
If you HAVE to work with galvanized metal and enough heat to make it smoke be careful not to breath the fumes. When I was a construction pipefitter/welder in the 70's we took calcium tablets to minimalize the immediate physical effects. The long term effects seem to have made me cynical.:mrgreen:

Dave

AZ-Stew
02-11-2008, 05:19 PM
As long as it doesn't touch the melt, I don't see where it could do any harm.

Regards,

Stew

JohnSmiles
02-11-2008, 06:05 PM
If you HAVE to work with galvanized metal and enough heat to make it smoke be careful not to breath the fumes. When I was a construction pipefitter/welder in the 70's we took calcium tablets to minimalize the immediate physical effects. The long term effects seem to have made me cynical.:mrgreen:

Dave

And you get agonizing headaches if welding the wretched stuff.
:groner:

I can attest to that.
I worked construction for a couple of years also.