PDA

View Full Version : Ruger New Blackhawk Question - 4 & 5/8" or 5 & 1/2" Barrel?

Four-Sixty
11-04-2014, 11:05 PM
I bought a 45 semi auto recently (SR45), and it just did not scratch my itch for a new gun. Next up is definitely a revolver.

I am sure I'll go with a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 45 Colt, probably with the 45 ACP cylinder.

Do you all have any input as to which barrel length to choose?

I will mostly target shoot. I'd like the compact size of the 4 & 5/8" barrel, but want to know if I'll be missing out by not going with the 5 & 1/2" barrel. Any pros/cons to either barrel lengths?

junkpile
11-04-2014, 11:32 PM
It's all about balance with those two barrel lengths. A lot of people site the longer sighting radius as the reason to go with the 5-1/2", but it doesn't work out that way for me. I prefer the 4-5/8 on all of them. It simply balances better for me.

You can usually tell by handling them which you prefer. I will leave the final decision up to you. What is best for you? Most comfortable? Balances best? Etc. etc. etc.

ReloaderFred
11-05-2014, 12:34 AM
I have Blackhawks in 4 5/8", 5 1/2", 6 1/2" and 7 1/2" lengths in .357/.38, .44 Special and .45 Colt/.45 acp. For myself, I prefer the longer barrels, but the 5 1/2" is a good compromise. One of my most accurate Blackhawks is a stone stock 7 1/2" barreled .45 Colt/.45 acp combination. With the .45 acp cylinder in it, shooting 200 gr. SWC bullets, it's boringly accurate out to the 35 yard berm on our pistol range. Hitting clay birds on the berm is just too easy, so I use the 1st shot to break the bird, and then the rest of the cylinder on the broken pieces.

Like junkpile said, it's a matter of personal preference. I shoot the 4 5/8" Blackhawks for SASS, but they've been worked over by Oglesby & Oglesby, of Springfield, IL, so they're super smooth and have Super Blackhawk hammers on them, as do about half of my other Blackhawks.

Hope this helps.

Fred

raisinriverron
11-05-2014, 12:34 AM
Like Junkpile said, it's a personal thing. In the Flattop mid sized frame I prefer the shorter barrel.
in the large frame, it's a toss up for me.
I have a 5 1/2" that shoots really well, so it's my favorite.

jmort
11-05-2014, 12:54 AM
I like 4.62" over 5.5" but many like the longer barrel. I agree with the post regarding the balance of the 4.62" and like the flush look.

35 shooter
11-05-2014, 01:05 AM
Four-Sixty I've got the same decision to make on the same gun and cal. I know the 5 1/2" revolvers sight radius is my favorite compromise on handguns between accuracy and portability, but i looked at a 4 5/8" model the other day and the sights looked good and clear to me. Lol guess i'm getting older so the closer the sights the better?
The one i looked at was a 357 and balanced perfect in the hands but i'm holding out for the .45 colt in the Black Hawk. Think i'm gonna go with the 4 5/8"....good luck with YOUR decision....Btw, this one will be for targets and hunting!

junkpile
11-05-2014, 01:35 AM
You know what?... I'm pretty traditional. I prefer single actions over just about anything. I don't own any polymer pistols... in fact my only auto is a 1911. And also, I love short and long barreled single actions, although I'm devoted to Ruger, I still really love the look and feel of Colts and Colt copies - even more than the Ruger variants.

But, I still think the 5-1/2" is a compromise. It compromises the handiness of the 4-5/8" (should have been 4-3/4" anyway...), and the accuracy of the 7-1/2". Not much you can do, except shoot what you like. So, if that 5-1/2" is what you like, then that's awesome. Get it. Shoot it. Love it. If the 4-5/8" is what you like, then that's the one. Get it. Shoot it. Love it.

If it's the 6-1/2, do it. If its the 7-1/2, do it. If it's the 10-1/2", God help you, and I hope you have a forgiving wife.

Speaking realistically, you'll probably need to spend a year or so shooting both to develop a true opinion on them. But I still think it's personal preference. The biggest factors are how well you can hit your target and how much you enjoy it. I realize at this point that I'm not adding much useful information, but you just gotta go for what you like and what works for you. Have fun with it, man!

rintinglen
11-05-2014, 03:43 AM
To me, they are much of a muchness, but I have a slight preference for the 5 1/2 inch. I like that vital, extra 7/8 of an inch. Good enough for the Lone Ranger--good enough for me.

9.3X62AL
11-05-2014, 05:08 AM
My revolvers span from 4" to 7.5", both double- and single-action. I don't feel "compromised" in terms of sight radius or velocity potential with the 4" barrels. My bias here......I carried 4"-4.5" revolvers and autopistols in harm's way for almost 28 years. I trust them greatly.

If a lot of holstered walking will be involved with your usage of the roller, the decreased dimensions and weight of the 4-5/8" barrel might be a good choice. One subjective factor for a lot of users......the shorter barrels seem to draw and get on target faster than the hoglegs do. Also, sitting in a vehicle with a hip-holstered long-barreled revolver can be a PITA.

There comes a point afield where it is time to leave the sideiron holstered and reach for the long gun. Technology has advanced the capabilities of the modern handgun far past its 1900s potential, but a 7.5" to 10.5" barrel still does not turn a revolver into a short rifle. If a 4-5/8" barrel carries and deploys most easily for you, another 7/8" of sight radius and bullet acceleration might not matter much. Studies we did at work concerning 4" vs. 6" revolvers with given loads showed that the 33% reduction in barrel length averaged about a 10% velocity loss over a large population of each barrel length.

Four-Sixty
11-05-2014, 06:05 AM
Some great thoughts Gentlemen. Getting a little older to, so I don't want to settle, or compromise anymore. Life is too short!

I have one of the 3 & 3/4" SBHs, and like the feel of it. I think the prudent thing to do would be get the 4 & 3/4" first, then plan on getting a 5 & 1/2" later so there will be "no compromises".

That begs the question... which caliber next?

6bg6ga
11-05-2014, 07:53 AM
longer barrel for target shooting in my opinion.

Tatume
11-05-2014, 07:54 AM
My 4-5/8" 41 Magnum Blackhawk is the most accurate of all my Blackhawk revolvers. Many people cite the longer sight radius of the 5-1/2" barrel as reason to prefer it, but having both I find no disadvantage to the 4-5/8" gun. On the other hand, when worn in a high-rise belt holster, the 4-5/8" gun is much more comfortable when riding in a vehicle.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-05-2014, 08:27 AM
just like Tatume said my 4 5/8" 41 magnum most accurate of my revolvers and autos

bobthenailer
11-05-2014, 08:43 AM
I prefer revolver with barrel lengths of 5 to 6 inches but never longer than 7.5 inches , i currently have several revolvers with barrels lengths of 4 inches or less with adj sights and i cant shoot any of them nearly as well as the 5" or longer barrels. Maybe its just me ?

IMO 5.5"

C. Latch
11-05-2014, 09:08 AM
If I ever have a blackhawk rebarreled into exactly what I want, it will probably have a barrel of 61/4" to 6-1/2".

YMMV.

osteodoc08
11-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Like Tatume and Luckydog, my go to SA gun hands down is my 4-5/8" 41 Maggie. Balance is perfect for me. More accurate than I am. And impressive fireballs with stout 296 loads. Sure you'll gain sight radius and velocity out of the longer barreled guns, but at what point is there diminishing return for the user?

44man
11-05-2014, 10:00 AM
I love long barrels for hunting and target. All of mine are at least 7-1/2" and many are 10" or 10-1/2".
I bought the Ruger SBH long barrel for IHMSA and loved it because sight settings were 1"-2"-3"-4", etc per click. 1" at 50 meters, etc. I hunt with it now with a red dot from a shoulder holster.
It depends on use and how or why you carry. Back up is different then hunting so the short barrel is going to be harder to use at longer ranges because .001" misalignment of open sights can be a huge miss. The closer the sights the better vision you need.
Feel and balance is over rated unless you twirl the gun or do tricks.
What I hate is one click on the sight can take you from way under to way over a target. Just try to sight a 4-5/8" barrel at 100 or more! 50 can drive you nuts.
True, Jerry shot a balloon at 1000 yards with a nine but how many thousands of shots to get it right? If you ever watched Bob Munden, see how black his hands were? Both shot more in an hour then most of us can afford a year.
Many like shorties but you need to cast, load and shoot every day and as you age, opens go away.
Even retired I don't want to do that. People that work can use 10 to 12 hours a day with driving.
many will say they shoot short guns good, OK, no argument because it is PRACTICE.
It is the time and expense you put in it. I prefer to leave most guns in the safe, take one out and shoot a deer. For practice I shoot the biggest and baddest so the others are easy.

9.3X62AL
11-05-2014, 05:04 PM
For a pure HUNTING sidearm, the 6"-7-1/2" barrels get the nod here. Just for clarification.

DougGuy
11-05-2014, 05:10 PM
For a pure HUNTING sidearm, the 6"-7-1/2" barrels get the nod here. Just for clarification.

^^^^ THIS...

For target shoooting, definitely the longer 5 1/2" over the 4 5/8" but for quick handling, belly gun/trail gun, backup to a rifle or shotgun, the shorter barrel preferrably with a birdshead grip.

gwpercle
11-05-2014, 05:24 PM
I have a Blackhawk with the 5 1/2 inch barrel, it was a used , three screw, and was only $75.00. Have always wished it were 4 5/8 inches. The shorter barrel just looks right , I grew up in the days of TV westerns and except for Wyatt Earp, most had the shorter barrel. So for the single action the repressed gunslinger in me comes out.

I vote 4 5/8 inch. No bisley or bird head grip.
Gary

shooting on a shoestring
11-05-2014, 08:12 PM
My experience, my 7.5" 45 Colt BH shoots great and I haven't seen it in ... I'm not sure how long. It stays tucked in storage.

My 4&5/8" 45 Colt BH often serves bedside duty and gets to travel with me when I feel the need for big bore company. Therefore when it's time to empty some 45 Colt brass, I exercise the short one to stay familiar with it in case it becomes needed.

Hunting is is not on my schedule. If that should change, I'll call up the long one.

Outpost75
11-05-2014, 08:35 PM
In my experience the advantages of a barrel longer than 5-1/2" in terms of added sight radius and improved velocity come into play only when shooting magnum calibers at ranges exceeding 50 yards. Whether a 4-5/8" or 5-1/2" barrel is better for you depends mostly on your build and the type of holster you will carry the rig in, and is purely a matter of personal preference. I like the lighter weight and compactness of the 4-5/8" in .45 ACP. It gives up nothing in velocity or accuracy to a good accurized M1911 and you can load the NM Blackhawk hotter than you would want to use as a steady diet in an autopistol. But to exploit the full potential of the .44 Magnum as a hunting gun, the longer barrel is an advantage and makes kills on game feasible out to 100 yards for a Master class competitive shooter. If you are incapable of holding a 6" group from a supported field position with magnum loads, at 50 yards, you should abandon your sixgun hunting fantasy and carry a RIFLE. Sorry if this ruffles any feathers, but professional guides and experienced big game hunters will agree.

dragon813gt
11-05-2014, 09:12 PM
This ones easy......buy both ;)

JSH
11-05-2014, 09:30 PM
I vote for the 5.5 bisley. I just got one this summer. I had wanted a bisley for some time but not a 7.5. Mine is the 45colt/45 acp. As mentioned above the acp cylinder is worth the price of the gun. Mine just shoots so well it is stupid. This past weekend standing two handed I ran 18 shots into a 2" group. The crazy thing is this was out of a can of my bullseye culls. Various loads and bullets. It needs some trigger work but is useable for now.
Jeff

Mohillbilly
11-06-2014, 12:46 AM
With Ruger in mind 5 1/2 barrels are some what rare , so most production guns were 4 5/8 or 6 1/2 for small caliber and 4 5/8 and 7 1/2 for the larger . Like said above depends what you want to do with it , and how it feels in YOUR hand , and your eye sight . If you only want one , shame on you . how many screwdrivers do you have ? do you play golf with one club , or have one end wrench ? I would start with a long barrel in my chosen caliber . On caliber choice , consider if you would reload , and how deep are your pockets , is ammo available . you will usual be able to afford more as you go along . stainless vs blue depends if you shoot indoors or out , and blondes vs brunets on how they look . shorties for easy carry , accuracy is comparable short to long is more dependent on eye sight . it is easier to learn to hold still with a long barrel but harder to hold on target , every bodys hand shakes some . Bisleys vs plow handle , well that is a hand choice fit and also a recoil consideration on caliber ,and power level ... Make your choice , and enjoy you paid for it .......

Slow Elk 45/70
11-06-2014, 01:35 AM
I have a 44 SBH with 4&5/8" bbl that is my go to revolver...it shoots better than I can hold...I also like a cross draw holster..in a vehicle or on a horse....or walking....I have 3", 5 & 1/2", 6 & 1/2"....7 & 1/2" , Ruger and Smith's... but I carry the 4&5/8 " and I like them all, just like the 4 5/8" better....I shoot them all , if I'm not loading , I'm shooting or hunting.....gotta luv it.:cbpour::redneck::guntootsmiley:

Shuz
11-06-2014, 11:03 AM
I have Ruger .44 mags in 4-5/8", 5-1/2", 6-1/2",and 7-1/2". My favorites are the 5-1/2" and the 6-1/2".....not because of bbl length only, but because of their fluted cylinders!! Something to consider?

onegunred
11-06-2014, 01:03 PM
I have a 4.62" SBH and 2 former 7.5" SBH that have been cut to 5.5", all with Dragoon frames. I like all of them better and can shoot them better than the 7.5". I can't do a 2 hand hold ( the left one doesn't work, it is my Liberal side, it wants the RIGHT to support it ) so maybe the lesser weight and different balance may have something to do with it. Every time my son sees me holding a 7.5" SBH he asks me , " gonna cut it too?".

dualsport
11-06-2014, 01:18 PM
In my experience the advantages of a barrel longer than 5-1/2" in terms of added sight radius and improved velocity come into play only when shooting magnum calibers at ranges exceeding 50 yards. Whether a 4-5/8" or 5-1/2" barrel is better for you depends mostly on your build and the type of holster you will carry the rig in, and is purely a matter of personal preference. I like the lighter weight and compactness of the 4-5/8" in .45 ACP. It gives up nothing in velocity or accuracy to a good accurized M1911 and you can load the NM Blackhawk hotter than you would want to use as a steady diet in an autopistol. But to exploit the full potential of the .44 Magnum as a hunting gun, the longer barrel is an advantage and makes kills on game feasible out to 100 yards for a Master class competitive shooter. If you are incapable of holding a 6" group from a supported field position with magnum loads, at 50 yards, you should abandon your sixgun hunting fantasy and carry a RIFLE. Sorry if this ruffles any feathers, but professional guides and experienced big game hunters will agree.

Good advice, but, I'm wondering about the 6" standard. When I was into bow hunting we considered our 'effective range' to be whatever distance we could consistently hit a common paper plate, about 11". Not great match accuracy but good enough to make lung shots on a deer.

Outpost75
11-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Good advice, but, I'm wondering about the 6" standard. When I was into bow hunting we considered our 'effective range' to be whatever distance we could consistently hit a common paper plate, about 11". Not great match accuracy but good enough to make lung shots on a deer.

When you sum all the circular probable errors:

The inherent test-barrel dispersion of the ammunition
The inherent machine rest dispersion of the firearm using said ammunition
The sight adjustment (zeroing) error of the firearm
The aiming error (sight alignment) of the firearm user
The holding error (wobble) of the firearm user
Other factors contributing to the man-machine interface (flinch, buck fever, trigger jerk, etc.)'
And then factor in range estimation errors, wind deflection, etc.

A HIGH CONFIDENCE of hitting a 6" circle from a supported field position is realistic as a minimum level of FIREARM skill.

But, if you can reliably hit an 11" circle with a bow with a snap-shot, firing from an unsupported standing position, you can hunt with me anytime, and I salute you!

9.3X62AL
11-06-2014, 04:27 PM
What Outpost 75 just said, for certain.

A few seasons back, I came VERY close to taking one of two forkie Muleys that busted out from a manzanita clump I had parked my truck right next to, this with a 4" revolver (357 Magnum, 180 grain cast softpoints). In CA, our deer and quail seasons run on the same timeline, and I had just loaded the 686 x 4" and snapped it down. I was getting the 20 gauge out from behind the truck seat when the venison prospects busted a move from about 20 feet away. I had good sight picture on the leftmost buck, but elected to not fill the tag on one of these sub-compact little idjits. I've shot my share of forkies, and with 2 weeks of season left--and 1 tag per year--I knew just sure as h--l that Bull of the Woods would show up as soon as I hung one of these up to field-dress. Yes, I've had that experience previously.

So, I have indeed pointed a 4" revolver with malice aforethought at mobile venison. Range would have been 25-30 yards. Knowing my limits, I would have shut things down at about 40 yards with this combination. These loads get 1175-1200 FPS from the 4" 686, so power wasn't the question--and doubts about placement weren't either. I rolled the bones on finding a better buck--and lost, as it turned out. But that is hunting.

hicard
11-09-2014, 03:50 PM
I have the 4 5/8 ths" 45 convertible and feel that the acp shoots slightly smaller groups than the 45 Colt does. I like it a lot but wouldn't bad mouth the 5 1/2 " either. I ordered my single 7 in 5 1/2".

skeettx
11-09-2014, 04:48 PM
I vote 4 5/8 inch
I have them in 22, 357/9mm, 41, 44, 45Colt/45 ACP
Thinking about making up a cylinder for the 38 Super :)
Mike

Char-Gar
11-09-2014, 06:57 PM
For easy handling and packing the 4 5/8" is tops. For fine and far shooting the 7.5" is tops. The 5.5" is a compromise but does right well. You can't get all of your possums up one tree. Fortunately you don't have to own just one tree.

C. Latch
11-09-2014, 08:06 PM
For easy handling and packing the 4 5/8" is tops. For fine and far shooting the 7.5" is tops. The 5.5" is a compromise but does right well. You can't get all of your possums up one tree. Fortunately you don't have to own just one tree.

You have very fine tastes in grips.

9.3X62AL
11-09-2014, 09:30 PM

Indeed, sir. VERY NICE furniture!

robertbank
11-09-2014, 09:59 PM

Not only are the grips nice but they are sitting on some very nice eye candy. I have had the SAA out more recently with winter coming on and tons of rain revolvers have a certain attraction not found in semi's. Not chasing brass in the wet and cold being one of them.

Take Care

Bob

Outpost75
11-09-2014, 10:50 PM
I would have to agree with Chargar. If a man knows and respects his limitations, a short barrel can indeed do the work. The 5-1/2" is the best compromise between portability, sight radius and ballistics. My .44 Magnum and .44-40 revolvers are of this length, but I know enough not to attempt shots at game with them beyond about 40 yards, because at age 66 I don't shoot as well with a handgun as I once did as a scared 20-year old, but never thought I would live this long, either.

Char-Gar
11-10-2014, 12:21 PM

I am not entirely without my quirks of vanity, although I try and supress it as much as possible. I have never been able to afford the super high end custom handguns like others can so I mostly confine myself to pawn shop finds which I dress up a mite.

The horn grips on the 4 5/8" I got from Doc O'Meara is a parts swap some years back. The walnut on the 7.5" are from Blu-Magnum and the Texas mesquite on the flattop 5.5" come from Craig Cary. The Cary grips are the best value I have found for fit, finish and price. Some folks find him cantankerous to work with, but I have not found him so. He does excellent work for a reasonable price.

I got bite with the custom handgun grip bug about 1961 when I had Herretts make some of their "made to measure" grips for my K-22. They were so much better than what was available over the counter in those days. Herretts still makes some find custom grips, but the prices have taken a jump and are now up there with the high end guys.

At the end of the day, there is nothing like ivory to warm the soul, but the prices are out of sight these days. I do have one pair of ivory on my Colt Goverment Model. They come from the good folks at Nutmeg.

44man
11-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Being a real old fart, and needing a red dot now, the short barrel with a red dot is as accurate as a longer barrel. It still comes down to vision with the short ones. Yet I still would want a 6" for most shooting, even opens. I would not kick a 5-1/2" down the road.
I think more about finding a load for my guns and longer can be a lot easier then fooling with fast powders. I am a confirmed 296 user. Not so much the velocity but the accuracy reached.
Don't compare a .44 mag to a .45 ACP. I could live with a 1911 or a 5" revolver in the ACP but not the .44 mag. You need burn time for powder. You need spin to stability.
True the .44 is a small case but it is over capacity for short barrels.
I compare to a rifle like the .300 Weatherby, thing needs a 26" barrel at the least. 22" is nothing but a huge, noisy, blasting 30-06.

dualsport
11-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Good point.

Four-Sixty
11-12-2014, 04:11 PM
You need burn time for powder. You need spin to stability.
True the .44 is a small case but it is over capacity for short barrels.
I compare to a rifle like the .300 Weatherby, thing needs a 26" barrel at the least. 22" is nothing but a huge, noisy, blasting 30-06.

This sounds like a ratio that should have a name, if it does not already. As in, a 4" barrel in the 44 mag violates the "44Man" ratio.

I, actually, have the SBH in the 3.75 barrel. I have been able to find a decent 44 Special load, but an accurate 44 Mag load eludes me. I've only had it half a year though, so I will keep trying.

mhblaw
11-13-2014, 01:38 PM
I have many BH's, OM and NM, in all barrel lengths. One of my favorites is a 45 Colt conversion by Bowen on an OM Flat Top with a 7.5" barrel. Hamilton said he likes the long barrel as is more "graceful".

MrBFR
11-17-2014, 01:15 AM
I've had them all and I think the 4 5/8" balances the best plus it just looks good with the barrel being (mostly) flush with the ejector rod housing. The 5.5" is okay but I'd rather the barrel either be shorter or longer so the me the 5.5" is kind of oddball. I've got longer barreled models too including a new 6.5" Blackhawk .41 Mag and would rather have the longer barrel guns for straight up hunting but the 4 5/8" is the best choice if you plan on packing it around a lot. That said, personally I don't really carry a revolver unless to hunt with it so to me a revolver having a short barrel isn't a must as the longer barrels aren't bad to carry while hunting.

DougGuy
11-17-2014, 01:27 AM
This is really funny too but I noticed it.. The 5 1/2" barrel looks a little bit odd when the gun is all blued. With a CC frame, the 5 1/2" barrel looks perfect. Optical illusion? Trick of the light? Favorite Hollywood Westerns? Who knows.

Take the 5 1/2" for target shooting over the 4 5/8" you'll be glad you did. Take the 4 5/8" for a trail gun, they pack easier.

9.3X62AL
11-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Long years of association with 4" barrels and MUCH shooting with that barrel length has instilled confidence in my ability to hit with these revolvers. I still have that 686 x 4" on paper with my agency in retirement, and likely always will. A 4" double-action 357 Magnum does a lot of things very, very well. It has only been in retirement that my trigger time with longer-barreled wheelguns has begun to catch up with my shooting frequency of the shorter tubes. As a field or hunting piece, barrel length is still not a huge factor for me--but there is no dismissing the sighting advantage or velocity increase potential of the longer barrels. I don't know about "graceful", but my BisHawk 357 Magnum x 7.5" can deliver some HEALTHY ballistics with Lymans #358156 and #358430. It does a fine job of turning money into noise! So can the BH x 30 Carbine x 7.5"--I'm not sure about deer hunting with that 30gun, but it will set off earthquakes in fault zones. So, be careful. Given the coyote-sized muleys where I live, a cast 130 grain soft point might be just the ticket......I'm getting almost 1400 FPS with them.

44man
11-17-2014, 10:53 AM
I have a 10-1/2" SBH, my original IHMSA gun. Used to have trouble off hand with the barrel drooping down. So I understand when you say BALANCE. Then I got the BFR 45-70 with a 10" and got used to it. These things are like hanging a barbell on the end.
I have shot 6" barrels and love them. I still buy hunting guns with 7-1/2" barrels only.
For carry and close ranges, a short barrel is great but I don't carry for defense. No bears here either. My revolvers are in a shoulder holster as primary hunting guns, no rifles anymore.
It is what you need and want and the use of the gun first. Just don't think you will get the accuracy, velocity or long ranges with the short barrel as a primary hunting gun.
Smaller calibers do fine with short guns, the.38, .357 and ACP but once you reach a .44 mag, you will need some length for powder burn unless you fear recoil and shoot 231 or Unique.
I have seen many .44's for sale with almost a full box of factory loads. Guy bit off too much. Girly men! Head splitters with what I shoot.
Look back and do a search to find just how many posts ask about loads so weak, the gun will not shoot them. My question is "why did you buy the caliber?"
Macho to show off a .475 or .500 when you can't shoot them.
Knew a guy that had a .500 Linebaugh or some huge caliber built on a tiny, short gun, never shot it, cost a fortune and I seen it for sale, never shot and nobody else would pull the trigger. I would not shoot a .50 Alaskan with Bisley grips so smooth and shiny that I knew I could not hold tight enough.
As your .44 gets shorter, you will lose control from recoil. Then you will search for Unique loads. Do you want a mag or a special?
Take an old goats advice, buy a gun and shoot it for what it is, not a paint ball gun.

44man
11-17-2014, 11:17 AM
We had 3 days of early doe season, I took my .475 BFR. Sat for a long time and heard one behind me. I turned my head slow and she was right behind me, no shot. Something did not please her so she turned to walk away. I stood slow but she must have heard a noise and bolted. She stopped about 40 yards to look back and I put her on the ground right there. I dearly love the big guns shot as they were made for.
I used my 420 gr WFN with 26 gr of 296, 1329 fps. 122056 My barrel is 7-1/2" or over 8" because it is a BFR, CUT it, you are out of your mind!

FlatTop45LC
11-17-2014, 11:39 AM
I currently shoot 4 and 4 5/8" wheel guns but my next one will be a 7.5" for hunting.

44man
11-17-2014, 12:13 PM
I currently shoot 4 and 4 5/8" wheel guns but my next one will be a 7.5" for hunting.
Good for you, smart man. You will never be sorry. Each gun has a purpose.

FlatTop45LC
11-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Good for you, smart man. You will never be sorry. Each gun has a purpose.
44man

That is in fact a lot from your posts. I really want to practice out to 200 yards and be able to reliably shoot deer to 75 yards or so.

44man
11-18-2014, 01:43 PM
44man

That is in fact a lot from your posts. I really want to practice out to 200 yards and be able to reliably shoot deer to 75 yards or so.
Yes, good for you. I have shot deer off hand to over 120 yards. 75 is good but I really prefer 20 yards myself. The revolver is amazing once you learn it. But hunting with a handgun is so much like archery with extended ranges. I can see a short barrel working at 20 yards if you have the practice. The energy and accuracy loss at range troubles me. So does boolit drop. I can hit at 200 but never would shoot at a deer that far.
To shoot extreme ranges only means a 20 yard shot is a cake walk.
Yes, I sit on stand with the revolver and wonder why I did not bring a rifle but I get my deer and kill more then my rifle hunting friends. Long range accuracy is confidence, it is a good thing.
I killed many deer with my Ruger Old Army and a RB. I drive a ball over 1102 fps but the twist is dead wrong. The gun is sad at 50 yards so deer are 10 yards to 20 max. It is a wonder the way it kills but I have no confidence with range.

FlatTop45LC
11-18-2014, 01:49 PM
I keep shots under 35 with my current load out of the 4 5/8" barrel.

44man
11-18-2014, 02:33 PM
I keep shots under 35 with my current load out of the 4 5/8" barrel.
Wisdom! You can hunt with me.

375supermag
11-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Hi...

I think that barrel length is truly a matter of personal preference.

I have revolvers in all kinds of calibers and various barrel lengths.
I believe that revolvers with 4-5/8" barrels carry easier, especially in a vehicle.
I get a better sight picture with barrels in the 5-1/2-6-1/2" range when target shooting, but prefer to hunt with 7-1/2" or longer barrels. I usually carry those in a bandolier-type holster.
I have only shot one deer with a revolver. I was hunting with a Super Redhawk in .44Mag with a 9-1/2" barrel carrying a 2x Bushnell scope. I had it in a bandolier holster as I was still-hunting.

A 4-point buck stepped out from behind a tree about 20 yards in front of me. All I remember was somehow the revolver was in my hands and the crosshairs were right behind his front shoulder and I squeezed the trigger. Do not remember drawing the gun at all...it was just there, hammer back and sights aligned.

At the shot, there was no reaction. As I cocked the hammer again and lined up the crosshairs, he took one step forward and landed on his nose. Dead, barely even kicked.

I guess the moral of the story is that whatever barrel length you choose you must practice with it until it is second nature to draw and shoot with complete confidence. If you practice, when you need to make the shot, you will know that you can make the shot.

44man
11-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Hi...

I think that barrel length is truly a matter of personal preference.

I have revolvers in all kinds of calibers and various barrel lengths.
I believe that revolvers with 4-5/8" barrels carry easier, especially in a vehicle.
I get a better sight picture with barrels in the 5-1/2-6-1/2" range when target shooting, but prefer to hunt with 7-1/2" or longer barrels. I usually carry those in a bandolier-type holster.
I have only shot one deer with a revolver. I was hunting with a Super Redhawk in .44Mag with a 9-1/2" barrel carrying a 2x Bushnell scope. I had it in a bandolier holster as I was still-hunting.

A 4-point buck stepped out from behind a tree about 20 yards in front of me. All I remember was somehow the revolver was in my hands and the crosshairs were right behind his front shoulder and I squeezed the trigger. Do not remember drawing the gun at all...it was just there, hammer back and sights aligned.

At the shot, there was no reaction. As I cocked the hammer again and lined up the crosshairs, he took one step forward and landed on his nose. Dead, barely even kicked.

I guess the moral of the story is that whatever barrel length you choose you must practice with it until it is second nature to draw and shoot with complete confidence. If you practice, when you need to make the shot, you will know that you can make the shot.
I dearly love the SRH in 9-1/2". I shot at a buck through a small hole in trees. about 50 yards, he bolted and ran past me, I shot again and hit him. He dropped but I found my first shot took his heart. I could not swing as fast as he ran and the second shot hit the ham, took the femoral artery so both would be a dead deer.
I sold mine to a friend so I could buy a BFR, still miss it but still get to shoot it a lot. One of the great guns.

375supermag
11-18-2014, 06:43 PM
I dearly love the SRH in 9-1/2". I shot at a buck through a small hole in trees. about 50 yards, he bolted and ran past me, I shot again and hit him. He dropped but I found my first shot took his heart. I could not swing as fast as he ran and the second shot hit the ham, took the femoral artery so both would be a dead deer.
I sold mine to a friend so I could buy a BFR, still miss it but still get to shoot it a lot. One of the great guns.

I lost mine in an expensive divorce...miss the Super RedHawk, not the ex-wife.

Found a significant upgrade wife-wise a few years after the divorce.

Still working on a replacement for the Super. I have several other .44Mags, but still looking for a 9-1/2" Super RedHawk, although my Dan Wesson is maybe a tad bit more accurate.

junkpile
11-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Take the 5 1/2" for target shooting over the 4 5/8" you'll be glad you did. Take the 4 5/8" for a trail gun, they pack easier.

For me, I will take the 4-5/8 over my 5-1/2 because it balances better, and therefor, I am more accurate. I'm sure everyone's hands are different. I can see definite advantage going to the 7-1/2 or longer barrels for the velocity, but I think if you're shooting the two shorter barrels, or the sheriff length offerings, it's all personal preference (and for some states, minimum legal length for hunting - many require at least a 5" barrel, WI requires a 5", but measures it from the firing pin to the muzzle.)

I still say get what you want. Sure, some people find the longer sight radius to be an advantage, but for me, it's a hindrance. (not the sight radius, obviously, but the balance.)

High Desert Hunter
11-18-2014, 10:52 PM
I shoot the 5 1/2"-7 1/2" much better than the shorter barrels. My Flattop 45 with the 5 1/2" barrel is a good balance, enough power for 99% of the chores here in NM, carries easy, and shoots better than I do.

44man
11-20-2014, 11:13 AM
My problem with short barrels is the case capacity with burn rates. Once too short, a small difference in velocity with my boolits means unstable.
Work with a 10" 30-30 Tender brought that out and was a pain as was the 45-70 BFR in 10". There is a point where you just NEED 50 fps more. A full charge of 296 will burn too much powder out front instead of in the barrel. That means a faster powder in the real short barrels to make them shoot.
If you followed me the 30-30 pistol and 45-70 revolver only use ONE powder, SR 4759, NOTHING else works.
So a .454 with a 3" barrel is just a huge pain. No powder should be shot out the end to burn in the air. Why have a .454 when you need Bullseye or 231?
I have heard about guys cutting the 45-70 BFR short, Just what do you shoot from it?
Some think the huge blast out front is power but all it does is burn whiskers off a bears nose.
Then there is the "expert" that says all powder is gone in 1", even 4831 in a .300 Weatherby!
You can't compare a .38 with a .44 or .45 Colt or a .475 and up. As calibers get larger, you need barrel length. You must get rid of the "feel" thing and make a gun work.
If you can't hold out 6" maybe your gun needs a stock.

crowbarforge
11-20-2014, 03:32 PM
My only SA at this time is a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 with LC & ACP cylinders. It has the 5 1/2" bbl, but I had a gunsmith friend fit a stainless steel Blackhawk grip frame to it. Nice two-tone affect, adds some weight to the gun for better balance. Shoots like a dream with some 255 GR FP CB. I have not cast my own yet, but like that big boolet for this caliber. Next to acquire is a .357 (as a companion to a M94 in same caliber) and it will be the shorter 4 5/8 bbl because it will get toted a lot more than shot.

crowbarforge
11-20-2014, 03:42 PM
I want to hunt with this one because of similar circumstances as you other guys. Close in hunting spot, not much room to move, up-close to the deer moving about (too thick to get more that 20-25 yards from travel lanes). My BH .45 would fit the bill.