PDA

View Full Version : So I have a die set and a press

Harter66
11-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Last spring I aquired a die set for a 100-115 gr RNHP "plinker" style bullet. They are an older Pacific set.....sort of an under statement I guess. Any way last month I found and aquired the Pacific C style press that matches the dies. So there now lurk a couple of questions . Jackets there doesn't seem to be a great solution for this . It doesn't appear 22 LR will get that big with any regularity, tubing will take 2 more dies (that could be roughed out by an amateur with a drill press but results ) ,drawing copper caps ,or a lot of dumb luck finding 5.7 ,32 acp,ect or buy jackets. To me this is a no brainer for a 32 pistol (buy a mould be happy ) but I think I want to "lay some fire" to these for a 1-12 308 if for nothing else just to say I did it. I think I have enough tools to get some low grade 380 A-meric cases down to 302 or so (I have a push through 301 sizer but it's sized for lead ) . In that vein I also have about a half gallon of 95-115 gr salvage 380/9mm ball saved away (or at least not yet dumped into the smelt pot yet). These in theory could run through the above dies and get flipped base for nose and now its a 308 RNHP ......maybe.

Can the smelt waste jackets be salvaged and rerun ? Weigh sorted etc.

After 70 pages of pages and reading through I don't know how many threads ,I feel like I have the big picture but lack some of the fuzzy details around the edges and probably some big gapping hole right in plain sight.

Please forgive the parts that are questions stated as statements and check me if I've missed quoted or misunderstood something I read.

tiger762
11-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Maybe sell the 380 and buy jackets from RCECO? I don't think that hose that say they'd rather draw down pistol brass to save money, have actually tried it yet. I've drawn down 9mm to 0.352". The results were too inconsistent I gave up on it.