PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun barrel ding-

beezapilot
11-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Oh learned and wise of the Gunsmith art...

I've recently acquired several older SXS shot guns- one has a ding in the barrel, dropped??? Nasty confrontation with a car door or trunk lid??? Who can tell.

Is there a known technique to true the dent and make the barrel shootable????

Thanks!

Beez

lefty o
11-04-2014, 04:08 PM
if its just a minor dent, it can be removed, there are tools for it, but i would find a shotgun guy who has done more than one. if its got a kink in the dent, just trash it.

USAFrox
11-04-2014, 04:23 PM
just load up a REALLY STRONG load and... (just kidding - don't do that)

scarry scarney
11-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Not cheap, http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shotgun-tools/straighteners-dent-raisers/original-english-hydraulic-dent-raiser-prod399.aspx

Reg
11-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Most dents, some even sever , can easily be removed but it had better be done by someone with the proper tools and knowledge. This isn't a job for the amateur.

beezapilot
11-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Frox- the club self-appointed gun doctor suggested a box of slugs... oh, yeah... sign me up for that!!!!!!!!!!

USAFrox
11-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Frox- the club self-appointed gun doctor suggested a box of slugs... oh, yeah... sign me up for that!!!!!!!!!!

I do hope that everyone saw the "Just kidding - don't do that" at the end of my post. (in this day and age of litigation over everything, I have to make SURE everyone knows that I was just kidding, so that someone doesn't ACTUALLY try that and sue me).

:0)

beezapilot
11-04-2014, 07:28 PM
laughing... yeah I knew that you were kidding. No worries...

Skipper
11-04-2014, 07:56 PM
laughing... yeah I knew that you were kidding. No worries...

http://www.4-dproducts.com/displayitem.php?rowid=509&tname=rental

They waive the deposit if you pay with credit card.

scarry scarney
11-04-2014, 08:13 PM
Skipper - That rental is the way to go. Beezapilot never said what gauge, hopefully, it's a 12 ga.

beezapilot
11-04-2014, 08:25 PM
I'm with you- for $60 that is a bargain-
many thanks guys, I appreciate the input!!

elk hunter
11-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Having owned one for many years I would advise you to do some research regarding the use of a hydraulic dent raiser before starting your project and be very careful while using it, as it's very easy to turn a dent in to a bulge. If you have an experienced shotgun gunsmith close by I would consult with him or her first.

5Shot
11-05-2014, 11:24 AM
It's easy to ship a barrel (and pretty cheap) - just call a good smith and send it away.

KCSO
11-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Dent raising tools are available from Brownell's at a stiff fee. If the dent is a small one you can turn a soft brass plug and thread it to a steel rod and tap it through to raise the dent. i have about 30 different sizes of plugs and a couple of dent raisers and do this all the time. Sometimes as you raise the dent you need to leave the plug under the dent and TAP with a soft brass hammer to smooth out the outside. GGo slow and work carefull.

justashooter
11-05-2014, 09:05 PM
i have a set of bronze dent repair slugs that are adjustable and in 20/16/12 gauge. bought them at a gun auction in a box for about a buck cause nobody else knew what they were. lifted a few dents with them. the steel around a severe dent will be stretched, so you will need to leave the slug in and tap around the edges of the dent with a brass hammer to displace the stretched steel or the repair will look like hell. getting a perfect repair is more art than science.

seaboltm
11-05-2014, 09:56 PM
Michael Orlen. His turn around time is fast, like a week, and he is well known among shotgun enthusiasts:

http://randywakeman.com/shotgunMikeOrlen.htm

I have used him as have some of my buddies. He is very, very good.

akajun
11-06-2014, 11:33 AM
YOu can probably get most of it out with hardwood dowels drven through with a brass rod. Even with the hydraulic raiser, you may have to do this to get the tool in the dent if its too deep. If you have a drill press you can buy bigger than the bore and take them down with a rasp. If you have access to a metal lathe, you can make mandrels slanted on each end and tighten them up with a bolt.