PDA

View Full Version : Old Primers (?)

45-70 Chevroner
11-04-2014, 12:19 PM
I came across some old Winchester primers. I'm pretty sure of the condition, the boxes are in excellent condition and have been in a very dry area. They were stored in a basement in north eastern Arizona. I'm not sure of the age. They are Winchester boxes of a 100 and the box is mostly yellow with the number #120 and it says they are non-mercuric primers, I looked them up on the net and they are Large Rifle primers. I guess I can test them but was wondering what you thoughts on them are.
Thanks.

IraqVet1982
11-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Sounds dangerous. You better ship them to me so I can properly dispose of them.

Outpost75
11-04-2014, 12:52 PM
I am still using old round-cup Winchester 120 primers in white paper sleeves with wooden trays from the 1940s.

pworley1
11-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Use them and enjoy.

300winmag
11-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Load and shoot, enjoy.

TMenezes
11-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Your primers should be fine, the explosive compound is surprisingly resistant to age and even moisture. Some people here even soaked some in water for days and found even that didn't kill them.

Hang Fire
11-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Bingo TMenezes, you are correct.

Long ago I had some mishaps seating primers, so decided to fill cases with water and let sit. Few days later dumped the water and started depriming, all was going well, when bang. I then decided to test rest in pistol, all but two out of 30 went bang.

45-70 Chevroner
11-04-2014, 07:19 PM
300winmag. No they are older than those, mine are in wood trays not plastic. They don't say 81/2 120's, they are just No. 120 and right under that there is a code (K1630P). The box does not have the big W on it. I wish I could put a picture on here but this computer is not working quite right.

retread
11-04-2014, 08:40 PM
I have a bunch I picked up in a garage sale. Late 50's and early 60's Winchester and Western in wood trays. Not one "fail to fire" yet and I don't expect one.

Avery Arms
11-04-2014, 09:43 PM
There have been many primer compositions used over the years and some store better than others, also you can't be sure they have been in AZ their entire life and have never been exposed to moisture or chemicals.

I've had bad primers twice not counting loaded/surplus ammo, both happened to be small pistol primers, one lot was Russian "heavy metal free" that were only a few years old and the other lot was Remington "mercury free" (probably lead azide) that were in paper covered wooden trays so likely 60+ years old. In both cases all primers "fired" but were too weak for proper ignition and resulted in grossly underpowered loads that were useless. The Russian primers I was using in 9mm ammo and it would not cycle any gun I had not even the blowback designs while the Remington primers were loaded in .38 specials that fired but were so weak the bullet would not even go flush into a pine board, likely only 300-400fps from a load that should have produced over 800fps.

It would be ideal if you had access to a pressure testing gun or chronograph to see exactly how they are performing compared to new primers but since most people have neither at least fire a few primed casings and then a few loaded rounds to get some idea what you are up against. If they sound like toy caps you'll know they'll never make good ammo.

Oh and save your empty boxes for eBay.

GoodOlBoy
11-05-2014, 05:08 AM
I picked up several thousand Western Staynless primers at a gunshow not all that long ago. Buddies gave me the horse laugh because I bought those "OLD" primers and they probably wouldn't work (at $15 per K I wasn't about to pass on them) so far not a single failure to fire correctly each and every time. Only downside is that now I am running low and I know I won't get to replace them for the same price :(

Shoot and enjoy, nothing wrong with them primers.

GoodOlBoy

big bore 99
11-05-2014, 06:03 AM
I agree, they should be ok. I tried once years ago to kill a couple primers before knocking them out. I sprayed WD-40 in them and let them sit for a couple hours, then dumped it out and they still went bang.

6bg6ga
11-05-2014, 07:41 AM
As long as they have been kept dry they usually will work fine.

zuke
11-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Sound's like the one's I was given to dispose of. Which I am, one caseing at a time.I was given 8-900

dondiego
11-05-2014, 10:23 AM
I am starting up a "Primer Disposal and Lead Recycling" business if anyone is interested.

MtGun44
11-05-2014, 01:26 PM
American made old primers are quite reliable. IME, British primers from WW2 era are
not as reliable, sadly. Of course, poor storage could be the culprit, but I have had a LOT
of bad .303 Brit primers and almost never any US made bad primers, even from much
older ammo.

Bill

45-70 Chevroner
11-05-2014, 02:53 PM
There have been many primer compositions used over the years and some store better than others, also you can't be sure they have been in AZ their entire life and have never been exposed to moisture or chemicals.

I've had bad primers twice not counting loaded/surplus ammo, both happened to be small pistol primers, one lot was Russian "heavy metal free" that were only a few years old and the other lot was Remington "mercury free" (probably lead azide) that were in paper covered wooden trays so likely 60+ years old. In both cases all primers "fired" but were too weak for proper ignition and resulted in grossly underpowered loads that were useless. The Russian primers I was using in 9mm ammo and it would not cycle any gun I had not even the blowback designs while the Remington primers were loaded in .38 specials that fired but were so weak the bullet would not even go flush into a pine board, likely only 300-400fps from a load that should have produced over 800fps.

It would be ideal if you had access to a pressure testing gun or chronograph to see exactly how they are performing compared to new primers but since most people have neither at least fire a few primed casings and then a few loaded rounds to get some idea what you are up against. If they sound like toy caps you'll know they'll never make good ammo.

Oh and save your empty boxes for eBay.
I'm sure they have been here in Arizona, sense they were bought. They guy was born and raised and died in this small town.
I will keep the old boxes, I just have to be very careful not to tear the box up when opening.

leadman
11-05-2014, 03:09 PM
I read an article about disposing of old primers and a rep from one of the companies said it is almost impossible to "kill" a modern primer.
I had some cases that I had pulled down so I put engine oil in about 4 of them. After a couple of days I tipped the over and let them drain for awhile. Later I put them in a gun and every one went off. I did develop a new method to oil the barrel at the same time!

karlrudin
11-05-2014, 03:53 PM
I recently got some large rifle primers that were dated 1979. Been working fine for me. Have come across some that had corrosion starting on the outside of the cup from a box of pistol primers. Didn't use them. Safe then sorry. Other than that I would use them.

Kent Fowler
11-06-2014, 04:56 PM
I have a 1k of the yellow box Winchester 8-1/2- 120 primers. They have paper trays with wooden dividers and work fine in my 257 Roberts

10x
11-08-2014, 02:15 AM
I have a stash of Remington black powder primers that date back to the 1930s. They still do the job and the chronograph can't tell them from CCI primers.

762 shooter
11-08-2014, 07:54 AM
Things to think about.

1. Primers rarely spoil. (see above)
2. Primers cost less than a penny 50 years ago.
3. Primers will never be cheaper to replace in the future.
4. Primers are somewhat important in the reloading process.:roll:

Just saying.

zomby woof
11-08-2014, 08:47 PM
1961 they work fine

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN0762.JPG

castalott
11-08-2014, 08:53 PM
15 years ago a friend had 3 rounds of 30-06 from 1918 to dispose of. 2 of the 3 worked just fine. Just saying....

Linstrum
11-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Get the book "Hatcher's Notebook" by United States Army General Julian S. Hatcher, it explains all this stuff. In about early 1918, commercial and military primer compositions in the United States changed drastically from the old unstable potassium chlorate-sulfur-antimony sulfide compositions to ones using more chemically stable compositions of potassium chlorate-antimony sulfide-lead sulfo cyanide-trinitrotoluene. It doesn't surprise me that there are 96 year old primers and cartridges that still work that use the more time-stable non-elemental sulfur compositions. The primer compositions they use now using lead styphnate are even more stable and will very likely still work when 200 or 300 years old so the primers will far outlast the smokeless powder they are meant to ignite. No small wonder the anti-Second Amendment people are having fits and want primers that go bad in 5 years, they don't want any useable stockpiled ammo around when they repeal the Second Amendment. All I can say is "dream on"!

rl 1,188

kir_kenix
11-08-2014, 10:09 PM
I found several mason jars full of lr primers when my grandpa died. He had a piece of paper inside explaining that they were from a "spill" at Hornady in the 70's. They all have gone pop so far. Shot a fair number of leftover from the 50's and 60's as well. American primers seem to be good for just about ever if they are kept indoors and out of the humidity.

BST4227
11-09-2014, 06:25 AM
I too am doing the same thing, using long term stored primers, although my primers only date back to 1992 and have been stored in less than best of locations for storage, and in the PNW on top of that. So far 7000 of the primers I have loaded have worked without a problem or failure and I still have another 3K to load and don't see any of them having a problem either.