PDA

View Full Version : Need info on swaging 6.5 boolits and bullets to .268"

leadman
11-04-2014, 11:54 AM
I have a very basic understanding of the swaging process and would like some help on a thought I have.

Currently Hornady is not making the .268" bullets that are needed for the Carcano 6.5 and the Arisaka 6.5mm rifles.

One of my questions is could a factory made .263" or .264" jacketed bullet be swaged in the proper die to .268"? Could this also be done with a cast boolit?

If this can be done would an RCBS Rockchucker be strong enough for the jacketed?

Cost?

Thanks

Cane_man
11-04-2014, 01:23 PM
I think it could be done if you did it in two steps: [1] annealed and core seated the jackets from 0.263 to 0.2675 or so, then [2] do the final point forming to 0.268... yes, imo you can do this on the Rockchucker... so you would need two dies to do this if you purchased the jackets [1] core seating die, [2] pointing die

Prospector Howard
11-04-2014, 02:45 PM
If I had your problem, I'd think it would be alot less expensive and probably easier to use .277 size bullets (for .270) and swage them down in push through sizers using two of them. I think I'd go with the first reduction at 5 thousandths and the second one at 4 thousandths. Trying to get dies made to swage up is going to be alot more expensive and time consuming. Some lead will probably squish out the top of the bullet, but you could just trim it off.

reed1911
11-04-2014, 06:42 PM
You can certainly go both ways, IMHO drawing that far down will result in less than steller accuracy. So it really depends on your expectations of the gain. Cost wise it is much less to draw the .277 down to .268.

BT Sniper
11-04-2014, 09:04 PM
One of my questions is could a factory made .263" or .264" jacketed bullet be swaged in the proper die to .268"? Could this also be done with a cast boolit?

If this can be done would an RCBS Rockchucker be strong enough for the jacketed?

Cost?

Thanks

Quick answers.

Yes! It would be VERY easy to take a factory .264 bullet and swage it up to .268. All it takes is one stroke of the press.

Yes! I am able to form lead bullets in my point form dies too.

Yes! A rock chucker press would work just fine.

cost.... All you need is a .268 point form swage die and with my dies a auto ejection system to eject the perfect bullets. Good to go.

Not as cheap as you might think but it would be perfect. You can PM me if interested.

BT

p.s. I would have to look but I think the first 6.5 die I made came out a little big after polish, if I recall it was around .267 and would be very easy to lap up to .268

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Could this also be done with a cast boolit?
You may as well cast a large enough boolit, as opposed to swaging a naked boolit (more cost effective).

This is the mold I use for my Jap custom with original Military barrel that slugs at .2685
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=111&osCsid=qni7evhrj1ndm6uacv4b6b9i30

williamwaco
11-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Quick answers.

Yes! It would be VERY easy to take a factory .264 bullet and swage it up to .268. All it takes is one stroke of the press.

Yes! I am able to form lead bullets in my point form dies too.

Yes! A rock chucker press would work just fine.

cost.... All you need is a .268 point form swage die and with my dies a auto ejection system to eject the perfect bullets. Good to go.

Not as cheap as you might think but it would be perfect. You can PM me if interested.

BT

p.s. I would have to look but I think the first 6.5 die I made came out a little big after polish, if I recall it was around .267 and would be very easy to lap up to .268

I use BTs dies to make .357 and .44 hollowpoints from cast bullets. It works very well and as he says, only a single stroke of the press.

MOcaster
11-05-2014, 12:17 AM

So, Brian, about these first try "rejects". How many are "close enough" to useable? Us cheapies might be interested.

BT Sniper
11-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Typically the only rejects I get with my dies is one that I simply lap too much and diameter gets too big. I have a small collection of them but they usually get bored up to the next caliber. That is the great thing about making these dies.... you don't make mistakes, you simply make the next larger caliber :) Now that will only get you so far.... I do have a 500 cal core seat die that will become a .510 core seat because it got too big but after that...... ?? I don't shoot anything bigger then .510 yet :)

Eventually when I catch up I may have time to go threw my collection of spare dies and see if any of them are worthy enough to offer for sale at a discount.

BT

leadman
11-06-2014, 06:08 AM
I expected the cost might be high to do this so for now I ordered a Lee 6.5 mold. If it does not shoot good due to the length I will have the top milled down. I spent more in brass, dies, gas checks, and mold than I paid for the rifles and I might still need a custom sizing die. I only have $225 dollars in the Jap 6.5 and the Carcano 6.5 together.