PDA

View Full Version : Winter cold damage a PID?

Mike W1
11-03-2014, 10:33 PM
My casting shop is only heated when I use it. NE Iowa gets a lot of sub-zero weather and I noticed something in the manuals about low temperatures. Think I'll have to bring em' in the house when I'm not out there enjoying myself?

bangerjim
11-04-2014, 12:08 AM
Most inexpensive/standard industrial digital electronics carry a temp rating of -10 to +150F due to capacitors and LCD displays. MILSPEC compliant devices are much wider and more forgiving.

I would follow the manual that came with your brand of controller. There is no way of knowing what level of quality of components they used.

banger

lancem
11-04-2014, 12:18 AM
it should be able to survive the lower temps, but bring it into it's operating range before turning it on and using it.

el34
11-04-2014, 11:11 PM
There are mfr's specs for 'operating temp' and usually a wider 'storage temp'. Personally, I wouldn't fear having it out there as long as it doesn't get wet, and firing it up if the urge hits you. It'll warm itself up.

6bg6ga
11-05-2014, 07:21 AM
My Ballisticast Mark IV stays in the garage in the cold and it works fine.

Mike W1
11-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Had a nice email from Frozone and he says he leaves his in an unheated garage with no problems and that's good enough for me. Did comment the Auber units do need a little more heat than the Mypin's do but that's OK. It'll be warm in there when I cast. Now I can figure out something else to "fret" about.

Tazza
11-05-2014, 04:42 PM
I too thought that those figures were operating conditions, not storage.