PDA

View Full Version : Any Thompson SMG buffs?

RugerFan
02-09-2008, 03:25 AM
Yesterday I was invited to fire an old M1928A1 Thompson submachine gun. The owner actually knew very little about its origin (when it was issued, etc). What I believe is the serial number is stamped AO 2435. Anyone know anything about this?

Frank46
02-10-2008, 01:31 AM
Don't know about you but, I had just the same opportunity some years back to shoot a buddy's H&K MP5 with a silencer on it. First a few rounds on single shot, few 3 rounders, and than the holy grail ROCK & ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!. He said if the smile was any bigger they'd arrest me cause anyone with that stupid grin just had to do something wrong. Frank

wiljen
02-10-2008, 08:22 AM
The M1928A1 Thompson is the military pattern Thompson ordered by the Army following the success of the Navy and Marines model 1928s. The M1928A1 has a standard "military" blue finish (blue-black finish, not highly polished like the Colts) a heavy actuator (to slow rate of fire), and a horizontal fore grip. This model was made in great quantities during early W.W.II. Towards the end of its production shortcuts were taken to reduce production time, the ultimate shortcut being the M1 models. Production of the M1 models began in 1942 and the production lines were fully converted to the M1 by mid 1943. Later M1928A1's may have smooth barrels, no compensators, fixed "L" shaped rear sights, and no checkering or knurling on actuators and fire control levers.

Based on the description, It looks as though your gun has the roll stamps of a gun that was not a lend-lease gun and that it has the features to be an early production piece. The AO indicates it was built by auto-ordnance. If the prefix was an S it would be a Savage made gun. Both guns have the same address stamped on them as savage was a subcontractor so the only difference is in serial #s. There are a lot fewer AO's than S's out there and yours has a very low serial. That puts its manufacture somewhere between 1941 and 1942. AO had problems getting into full production and savage produced the vast majority of 28A's. Check the shape of the barrel fins, early models were rounded, later were square. This will let you know if it was re-barreled. Also look for a stamping of RIA 45 somewhere on it as this would indicate an Armory rebuild. If you remove the buttstock, a matching serial should be found underneath it. Many times mis-matches will show up here. Some will have been rematched by the arsenal by crossing out the # with three lines through it. If it is a matching # early AO piece I'd be hesitant to blast away with it as collectors will have an interest in that gun.

Based on the photos, I'd say you have an early A1. I find it hard to believe the owner didn't do more homework on what he was getting a hold of at the price tags those guns command these days.

EMC45
02-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Fired one just like it years back. It was very cool!!!!

RugerFan
02-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Wiljen,
Thanks for the detailed info. That is just the kind of thing I was looking for. The "owner" is a US military entity (My contact was unaware of the history. Long story). Suffice to say that pictures are as close as any collector is going to get to this one (crying shame isn't it?).

S.B.
02-15-2008, 01:05 AM
I, actually did my theme paper in high school on Thompson's? Not very popular, even back then.