PDA

View Full Version : Where to start, got a TC scout

JTknives
11-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Well I'm new to the muzzle loader bench. I picked up a nice TC scout carbine in 54 cal with a 20" barrel and it has a 1:20 twist. I bought CCI #11 caps and a lb of pyrodex P (FFFG). Reason was I was thinking the faster powder might work better in the shorter barrel. I got a box of the hornady great planes 425gr HB-HP. I'm wondering where I go from here. I see TC has load data for T7 powder and wondering if I should have got that. Thy don't have pyrodex loads just Black powder and T7. Thank you guys.

mooman76
11-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Use BP loads for Pyrodex. It is lighter but measures the same by VOLUME. I p/u the exact same one at a gun show a year or so ago. I'm still working on best loads and haven't shot it much yet but so far so good. Shoots both Lee REALs and RBs good but I have only shot light charges at 25y so far. Last time out I shot RBs at 50y and forgot my REALs so could test them farther back. I have 777 but have yet to try it. It is a little more powerful so keep that in mind. You may also need magnum #11 caps with the 777 but I don't really know but is is recommended by some. Good luck. Here is a site for the manual http://www.gwmlc.org.nz/Firearm%20info/Black%20Powder/MANUALS/TC%20Black%20Powder.pdf

11-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Pyrodex FFFg is a bit fast for the big bores. You can make it work but would probably be much happier with FFg. You will probably be happy with the R.E.A.L. boolit. A 1 / 20 twist is for sure a conical set up and round balls will most likely be disappointing. Best to shoot it and see for yourself. I prefer Triple Seven for most of my ML'ing, but on occasion, Pyrodex has worked better. Start around 60 grains and work up for accuracy. Just to add to the lengthy process, sometimes a bare bottom R.E.A. L. works good, sometimes a felt /lubbed wad under the boolit helps with accuracy. You got a great rifle there. Best of luck with it.

starmac
11-03-2014, 11:34 PM
I don't know what you will find works best with the 1/20 twist. I just picked up a 50, but it has the 1/38. I think I would like playing with the 1/20 and paper latched pistol boolits. It might be something to try in the 54 also, or at least a sabot that uses a big pistol boolit.

johnson1942
11-04-2014, 06:05 PM
starmac, your .50 cal with a 1/38 twist will shoot a paperpatched bullet .9 or 1 inch long .492 diam. then wrapped, very very well. that would be a ideal hunting bullet as not too big or not too small..

starmac
11-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Johnson, it will probably be next spring at the earliest before I get started playing it, and will likely be bending your ear for advice. lol

JTknives
11-05-2014, 12:34 AM
Well a local store has goex FFG, I was excited. Ran up to the counter and asked how much and the guy said ($24 a pound, how much do you want). I laughed and said um none for that much, I can buy it online for $15 andwith shipping and hasmat it's still cheaper. Or I can make it for 2-3 a pound. Making black powder looks even more appetizing now.

wgr
11-05-2014, 11:22 PM
tc maxi balls and 85grains of 2f are reall hard on whitetails

nagantguy
11-05-2014, 11:29 PM
Rbs are good in that twist, the reals have been doing well for me coated and Kurled. Easy to load and accurate. My hunting buddy has what sounds like the same rifle you just got, he swears by the #11 magnum caps.