PDA

View Full Version : the last of the greatest generation

Harter66
11-03-2014, 10:46 AM
My grandmother Nora Louise Mitchell past on last night.

It wasn't unexpected, she's been I'll and stacking issues for some time and at the tender age of 93 has lived a full happy life.
Nora,Tippy to us grew up in Nashville in the 20s and 30s. Married William Mitchell in 1940 and in the fall of 41 followed his Civil Service move to Hawaii. She always said it was a cute little apartment about 3 blocks from Pearl even after the December renovations,or to that effect.
In 49 they came back to the mainland and vacationed for a month or more before settling in to the new home in Ridgecrest Ca. They raised my mom and aunt there (funny how they had no difficulties in getting Hawaiian birth certs in 44 and 47). She and Bill and the girls roamed the Serrias and Whites on camping hunting and fishing trips for 50 yr also making several trips to Baja and most of the western states.

We will miss her.....

dragonrider
11-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Sorry for your loss, I did not get to know my grandparents, all died when I was very young. cherish your memories.

Artful
11-07-2014, 08:22 AM
Sympathies from my family to yours - we are down to one grandparent here.
Write down all that you can remember of her stories - so that they can be passed down further.

Harter66
11-07-2014, 10:16 AM
We have many books filled with stories as told . I think the preachers buck board on the school house roof is probably 1 of my favorites.

I had the good fortune of knowing my great grandmother and many of her stories 1st hand. I asked her once (she was born in 1888 ) what the celebrations were like at the turn of the century. Billy we live on the farms in Orange (the city now paved and part of greater LA) it was just another day. I must have been all of 6.
I startled myself the other day I've known real people that crossed from east to west by wagon train and did business on an Abicus because that's what there was .