PDA

View Full Version : 300BLK hunting setup?

petroid
11-03-2014, 08:30 AM
I would appreciate your thoughts on my proposed deer hunting setup. I am loading the Lee C312-155-2R cast from 50/50 pure/COWW which drop at ~162gr and with aluminum gas checks. DTPC with HF red. I get 1" at 50yd and 1750FPS. I have shot them into sand at point blank range and they expand well but I don't know how they will do on game. Would this be a good whitetail load? I also have 125gr SSTs loaded up at about 2000 fps. They both shoot to same poi at 50 yards. I don't expect any shots over 100 yards and the deer around here are usually less than 150lbs.

300blk
11-03-2014, 11:27 AM
The 155 lee is a great plinking round, I use it with HORNADY checks and lil'gun in the blackout.
it performed poorly on a 2nd year doe last year for me and I was driving it in excess of 2k out of a m1 rifle.
I had to shoot a second time to drop her.
The first shot went straight through the heart with minimal damage. The second busted both shoulders and the damage was considerable.
If you can get a garunteed shot on the shoulder and put it down then go for it.
But there are better bullets with a bigger meplat that can be used in the blackout.
I would go with the SST or if you can find it the 110 vmax has killed several critters for me out of the 9" blackout and an above book load of lil'gun. skunk groundhog deer opossum coyote etc. has worked great. Hit in the boiler room or head. and it's down for the count.
Your mileage may vary.

300blk
11-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Come to think of it I have shot various critters with the 155 lee and they weren't in any hurry to die if I recall right. (while groundhog and other various varmints aren't deer)

Lonegun1894
11-03-2014, 12:22 PM
I've been playing with the Lee 150 and 170gr FPs made for .30-30 and such, but mine is a H&R so I don't have to worry about feeding through a semi or anything. I have used the above bullets to take game when fired out of .30-30, .308, .30-06, and .30 Herrett, and know they work well, and fired between 400fps and 2350fps, depending on the gun and animal being hunted at the time. I'd be cautions about using your more pointed bullet on anything living, and would shoot for bone like mentioned above if I had to use it.

petroid
11-03-2014, 02:42 PM
I haven't had a chance to hunt with my cast boolits and the AR platform that this cartridge is in precludes the use of flat point bulets as far as I know. At least, I haven't tried to see if it would work. I may stick with the SSTs. At least it will be a handload, if not a cast boolit.

popper
11-03-2014, 03:22 PM
I'm using a 145 gr 3R FN in mine, 1800fps no problem, but it is close to season so I'd suggest alternating in the mag for a compare. Bout one inch diff. in POI @ 100.

petroid
11-03-2014, 06:06 PM
I'm using a 145 gr 3R FN in mine, 1800fps no problem, but it is close to season so I'd suggest alternating in the mag for a compare. Bout one inch diff. in POI @ 100.

So pop off a jword and a boolit and see which one does more damage?

popper
11-03-2014, 07:17 PM
More like try the boolit then if not down, use the j-word. You have a rapid followup.

petroid
11-03-2014, 11:42 PM
thats a possibility

triggerhappy243
11-04-2014, 12:28 AM
some day there will be a revelation that the blackout is a failure. I hear nothing but bad word about it.

Jupiter7
11-04-2014, 01:16 AM
some day there will be a revelation that the blackout is a failure. I hear nothing but bad word about it.
Do tell?

mine are just fine. My theory is it's kind of new and lots of inexperienced people are shooting, reloading and casting for it. With new brings problems.

To the OP, have you thought about flattening the tip? Either filed or with a flat punch. Maybe try sizing base first.

Dave18
11-04-2014, 02:00 AM
on the blackout bashing, its a standardized whisper, which anyone who messed with non standard chambers ect, gladly welcomed the whisper becoming a sammi standardized cartridged, then chamber reamers now are the same, the brass the same, on and on, and actually things got cheaper and more innovation on the subsonic realm, if anything, go watch the utube video, from haley strategic, they love the cartridge,

enjoy,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgKjbySsAik

2wheelDuke
11-04-2014, 02:04 AM
I shot a hog with a Lee 155. Mine was around 164 with lube and check if I recall, pushed by Lil Gun.

It didn't do well at all, just left a .30cal hole straight thru. I had to look for my pig for a while but a double lung did drop her.

Guys on the same hunt using Sierra Pro Hunters had DRT hits.

wlc
11-04-2014, 03:34 AM
A question for those that have had actual shots on game with the BLK: Would a hollowpoint with your current alloy or a softer alloy not work better? I shoot the BLK with cast, but its not hard to kill paper and tin cans. I'm thinking that if the boolits are zipping straight through that either one of the two would be what is needed.

petroid
11-04-2014, 10:03 AM
I have modified one cavity of the mold to plain base and it leaves little bit of lead skirt around the base when run through the push thru die. I haven't tried to shoot any of these yet but sizing base first may prevent the skirting as well as flatten the nose. That's an idea to try but no time before hunting season. Thanks for the idea though

Edit for typo

popper
11-04-2014, 10:49 AM
If a 30/30 170 gr @ 1800 is not a failure, how would a 300BO fail with the same load? I tried base first sizing on 40SW to get rid of the base flash (Lee sizer), it enlarged the nose as well. Might work depending on your alloy. 2R is still pretty blunt nose.

dk17hmr
11-04-2014, 03:19 PM
I believe the failure of the blackout round comes from sub sonic use, loaded super sonic loads with 150gr or less is where I feel this round becomes an excellent deer/antelope round. Personally if I were to go sub sonic for hunting I would make it up in bullet diameter and weight. A 500gr 45 caliber bullet at 900-950fps wouldn't have me questioning my choices. A 250gr 30 caliber at the same speeds would. If people choose sub sonic 30 caliber bullets are what they want to use I'm not going to stop you... or talk down to you.

The 125gr NBTs are an excellent match for the little round in my findings for jacketed, if you are going to hunt with cast I suggest shooting the flattest nosed thing that will feed as fast and accurate as you can. HP it if you think it is needed.

NavyVet1959
11-04-2014, 04:26 PM
That 230 gr Lee bullet is pretty long. I wonder if it will tumble upon impact. That would make it a bit more effective than a clean .30 caliber hole through the animal.

dk17hmr
11-04-2014, 04:41 PM
That 230 gr Lee bullet is pretty long. I wonder if it will tumble upon impact. That would make it a bit more effective than a clean .30 caliber hole through the animal.

I think that's what people are banking on....a tumbling bullet that long ruins lungs and probably more effective than an expanding bullet.

BK7saum
11-04-2014, 05:30 PM
I've shot one deer and two medium sized hogs with subsonic .30 cal boolits.

The deer was shot with a NOE 311-247 HP boolit through the heart/lungs. The boolit cut off the vessels on top of the heart and exited out the off-side shoulder. The deer went 40-50 yards. I found a piece of lead sheared from the hollow point in the offside scapula area. It was about half the size of a nickel.

The hogs weighted about 125-150 lbs. One was shot with a MP 311-410 boolit with deep HP through the top of the neck right behind the skull and the boolit ended up in the lower neck near one of the forelegs. The boolit broke the vertebrae in the neck and one side of the HP cavity was sheared off. The boolit retained greater than 75% of its weight. The first hog was DRT. The second hog ran about 10 steps and stopped when the first hog was shot. As soon as I had the second round chambered, I was able to shoot at the hog as it started to move again. The shot was quartering away slightly and I believe it was a good solid heart/lung shot (although the heart and lungs are further forward in a pig than a deer). It was late and the hog made it to the thick brush and green briars. I found it the next day and it had gone about 75-100 yards. I did not try to recover the boolit and really don't know if it exited or not. I doubt that it did exit as it would have had to fully penetrate the offside shoulder and hide to exit.

So my experience with subsonic boolits is limited to HP varieties. I think that a HP might/will sustain some damage and possibly provide enough upset to start a long bullet to tumble. For lighter boolits, I like the HP to cause damage in armadillos and other small non-game pests. I have loaded the Speer 110 HP bullets (M1 Carbine bullets) which are short jacket HPs with exposed lead similar to 38 special HPs. They provide enough "thump" and enery transfer to incapacitate an armadillo, i.e. DRT.

These are my limited experiences with subsonics in a 300 Whisper/blackout. I do consider the Whisper to be marginal at best for deer with subsonic boolits. If thick cover is close it is likely going to result in a hard tracking job or a lost deer. With Nosler 125s or Hornady 110s/125s, I think that a carefully placed behind the shoulder shot is going to be a really short track. I would avoid the shoulder with these lighter jacketed varieties, due to a possible lack of penetration. While they may go right on through, I don't want to be the one to take a chance.

Brad

petroid
11-04-2014, 08:30 PM
I am not looking at subsonics for hunting at this time. I am thinking that good shot placement will be the kicker whether its super or sub though. Even if it doesn't expand, my 162s through the shoulder or vitals should do the trick. Blood trailing may not be as easy, about like trailing an archery deer, but a well placed round will bring the animal down.

Smoke4320
11-06-2014, 02:31 PM
A question for those that have had actual shots on game with the BLK: Would a hollowpoint with your current alloy or a softer alloy not work better? I shoot the BLK with cast, but its not hard to kill paper and tin cans. I'm thinking that if the boolits are zipping straight through that either one of the two would be what is needed.

I shot a nice buck last year with a Noveski 10.5" Blackout and Mil Hec 150HP PC'ed Bullet..
Muzzle velocity approx. 1900 FPS at approx. 65-70 yds .. perfect heart shot clipped 1 rib.. Massive damage on ENTRY side.. 1" hole on exit side .. deer ran approx. 35 yds
did almost exactly the same shot with a 458 Socom RCBS 325 Gr FN..approx 1600 FPS .. deer fell within 5 yds of the blackout shot deer

shot 2 does at approx. 200-230 yds with a 6.5 Grendel 120 Gr Nosler BT's both heart shots deer were DRT ..Bt' s entered and grenade

been working most of the summer on a NOE 247 deep HP that drops actual 225-226 GR for subsonic use .. sand trapped bullets look real good for expansion (50/50/2 Alloy) .. our gun season opens in 10 days and I hope to be able to report my results

Just look at the processors eyes as he rounds the corner and sees the damage .. he could not believe I shot it with a cast bullet and a blkout

petroid
11-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Smoke I assume you have good luck with FN boolits feeding in the AR platform. I haven't tried it but it would probably be a better hunting boolit. Oh and those pics are awesome!

Smoke4320
11-07-2014, 02:21 PM
No issues .. my upper receiver is ramped to meet the ramps on the Noveski extension so it feeds most anything..
When NOE started designing the NOE 311-247 FN/HP most people said a .20 meplat would not feed in an AR ..Again I have not had any issues ...

petroid
11-07-2014, 04:35 PM
No issues .. my upper receiver is ramped to meet the ramps on the Noveski extension so it feeds most anything..
When NOE started designing the NOE 311-247 FN/HP most people said a .20 meplat would not feed in an AR ..Again I have not had any issues ...

So you something other than m4 feed ramps?

Pink_Vapor
11-08-2014, 01:47 PM
been working most of the summer on a NOE 247 deep HP that drops actual 225-226 GR for subsonic use .. sand trapped bullets look real good for expansion (50/50/2 Alloy) .. our gun season opens in 10 days and I hope to be able to report my results
I'm anxiously awaiting results before I purchase my first mold.

Smoke4320
11-08-2014, 04:22 PM
So you something other than m4 feed ramps?

no.. just stating I have seen several upper receivers where there are no cutouts for the RECEIVER ramps to match the barrel ramps and that may contribute to some peoples feeding issues

Smoke4320
11-08-2014, 05:20 PM
I'm anxiously awaiting results before I purchase my first mold.

I'm anxiously awaiting results myself..
Got 3 already with the muzzleloader so reg gun season with be done with blkout subsonics and handguns 30 or 357 herrett and/or 45/70 contenders

petroid
11-08-2014, 11:06 PM
Well I screwed up somewhere. In the past two weeks I have installed an SB15 brace and removed/painted/reinstalled my rail on my 300BLK AR pistol. I did not expect any poi change because nothing was touching the barrel. Yesterday I was able to pick up my suppressor after 8 mos. of nfa lockup. I didn't get a chance to check poi shift but figured as long as it was close range it should be fine. I took a shot at a doe this morning from about thirty yards and she scampered away. No blood. I totally missed. I then checked the zero. At thirty yards it was 4" high and 4" left with the suppressor. Didn't get a chance to check without it. Hard to believe the can would make that much difference. I think it's a combination of my work done to the gun and the can. So before next weekend I have to confirm zero and poi shift with the can for all of my loads.

dk17hmr
11-08-2014, 11:41 PM
If your going suppressed you really need to work your loads up with the suppressor on. Tested point of impact shift with an Accuracy International 338 Lapua with a ThunderBeast can on it this summer. Dead nuts center mass on an IDPA torso at 1000 yards suppressed, take the suppressor off and didn't even touch the same target.

That said 4" shouldn't have missed at that close range....where were you holding?

Smoke4320
11-08-2014, 11:56 PM
You may also find out that the first shot Thru the suppressor will hit a totally different location than all the following shots.
Mine does it with the 300 blkout but not on a 308.. both shot subsonic and same projectile

petroid
11-09-2014, 09:21 AM
That said 4" shouldn't have missed at that close range....where were you holding?

I was waiting for a good shot when she turned head on and was staring straight at me. Only shot I had at that going was a frontal shot. Maybe the first round was off even more than the rest as it missed completely

Nrut
11-09-2014, 01:11 PM
I was waiting for a good shot when she turned head on and was staring straight at me. Only shot I had at that going was a frontal shot. Maybe the first round was off even more than the rest as it missed completely
So how many rounds did you fling at this doe??
With a unsighted in firearm?

petroid
11-09-2014, 07:22 PM

I fired once at the deer. I then fired several at a target to check/adjust the zero with the suppressor still mounted. I then went out today to recheck and found that unsuppressed, the gun had been adjusted off the original zero by the exact amount I had changed it in the field. I then fired with the suppressor and it grouped 2" lower. So I adjusted it back on target, shot to confirm and packed up and went home. I'm not changing anything from here on out. If it loses its zero, there is something wrong with the equipment. I found no significant difference between the first round out of the suppressor and the rest. At this point, I am convinced that the original attachment of the suppressor caused a much greater poi shift than it is doing now. This is possibly due to wear/stretch of the threads due to attaching/removing it. I need to establish a consistent attachment/tightening index point to make sure it is on the same way every time and verify that this will maintain poi

petroid
11-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Went ahead and went back to the range today. Removed suppressor and made minor adjustment to scope after shooting a few. With suppressor, poi was different after each time removing/reinstalling. It seemed to tighten a bit more each time. I think the suppressor is seating itself on the threads a little differently each time so will have to keep working with it. In the meantime I am running unsuppressed for hunting

Hamish
11-11-2014, 07:10 PM

Sir, may I take this opportunity to commend for not saying exactly what we both thought when we read the preceding post.

petroid
11-11-2014, 07:23 PM
I suppose my syntax was a bit misleading. By "the rest" I meant the other rounds I fired at a target to assess/adjust the POI.

kawasakifreak77
11-12-2014, 04:45 AM

If it's not your cup of tea, I can understand that. But I think ya aughta have your ears checked man.

Last time I checked dozens of manufacturers jumping on to make nearly anything related to the cartridge is a sure sign of failure..

It uses one of the most popular cases in exsistance. It uses one of (if not the most) popular bullet diameters. It's based on a wildcat that enjoyed success & following for over 20 years now.

Yup. Sounds like a failure to me!

I load my blackout anywhere from whisper quiet loads to pull .22 duty (since, ya know, .22 is so abundant these days) to hog slaying 7.62x39 equivilant loads.

I feel people try to blow it out of proportion, like some mastadon anihilating super magnum. Use it as it was intended & it is an incredible caliber & a handloaders dream.

I love haters, lol!

petroid
11-12-2014, 07:21 AM
Use it as it was intended & it is an incredible caliber & a handloaders dream!

Im with you. It's a great dual purpose round for heavy subs or light supers. And much more economical than 6.8/6.5/30AR to load. And the only non-5.56 AR component is the barrel.

Fishman
11-13-2014, 04:06 PM
I killed a doe last year with the Lee 155 gr at an "estimated" 1800 fps. I swaged a small flat point with my lubrisizer and it performed ok. The doe only ran about 30 yards and died. Not much if any blood trail though.

petroid
11-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Thanks for your input Fishman! I have it sighted in and am planning a shoulder shot to minimize tracking and drop 'em quickly. Wish me luck!

sfcairborne
11-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Take the cartridge for what it is. My Rem700 BlkOt suppressed and unsurppressed produces one ragged hole at 50 yards and at 100 yards, using 20.5 grains of 1680 and a 125 NBT. I would not hesitate to shoot a deer with this round out to 100 yards. But like most, most of my shots are between 12 yds and 50. I have dropped dozens of deer with my 223 and a 53 grain barns bullet, most drop right there. Is the 223 a great rifle for deer? people question that one as well. What gets me pissed off is when individuals shoot deer with an 06, 270, 300 WM, etc, and blow the legs off deer because they are affraid of the recoil and flinch. So I beleive in shooting what you are comfortable in shooting, have spent the time behind the trigger, know where that first round is going to hit every time you pull the trigger and make an eithical shot and all is good. I know where talking cast bullets here, so here I go again, mine really loves the Lyman 3110411 and would not hesitate shooting a deer sized critter from 12 yards to 75 yards without hesitation. I know the above load 125 is not subsonic, I have loads that are, but I do not hunt with my sub cast loads, if you are wondering.

Blammer
11-18-2014, 07:51 PM
I dunno... them aluminum GC's may not help you kill deer with that set up. :kidding:

petroid
11-18-2014, 11:12 PM
I dunno... them aluminum GC's may not help you kill deer with that set up. :kidding:

I suppose a copper GC is less likely to hurt your tooth if if you happen to bite down on one left in the meat, eh? lol

petroid
11-18-2014, 11:14 PM
Take the cartridge for what it is. My Rem700 BlkOt suppressed and unsurppressed produces one ragged hole at 50 yards and at 100 yards, using 20.5 grains of 1680 and a 125 NBT. I would not hesitate to shoot a deer with this round out to 100 yards. But like most, most of my shots are between 12 yds and 50. I have dropped dozens of deer with my 223 and a 53 grain barns bullet, most drop right there. Is the 223 a great rifle for deer? people question that one as well. What gets me pissed off is when individuals shoot deer with an 06, 270, 300 WM, etc, and blow the legs off deer because they are affraid of the recoil and flinch. So I beleive in shooting what you are comfortable in shooting, have spent the time behind the trigger, know where that first round is going to hit every time you pull the trigger and make an eithical shot and all is good. I know where talking cast bullets here, so here I go again, mine really loves the Lyman 3110411 and would not hesitate shooting a deer sized critter from 12 yards to 75 yards without hesitation. I know the above load 125 is not subsonic, I have loads that are, but I do not hunt with my sub cast loads, if you are wondering.

I don't plan on taking a shot past 100 yards and am using supersonic unsuppressed for now since I know where it will hit. I have tried some 311041 bullets but I don't have the mold so they were purchased, but shot well

NavyVet1959
11-19-2014, 02:17 AM
Take the cartridge for what it is. My Rem700 BlkOt suppressed and unsurppressed produces one ragged hole at 50 yards and at 100 yards, using 20.5 grains of 1680 and a 125 NBT.

In a bolt action or a single shot, I'm not sure I see the purpose of a firearm chambered in .300 AAC. It makes sense in an AR since it is a cheap conversion and provides a round that should do better from short barrels in a close in defensive situation. 230 gr of lead at 1000 fps should give good penetration in human size targets. For the bolt action or break action single shots, I think a person would be better served with any of the larger powder capacity .30 caliber rifle cartridges (e.g. .308, .30-06, .300 Win Mag, etc). You can easily load any of them down to .300 AAC levels while still retaining the ability to have full power loads.

petroid
11-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Sure you can load a larger cartridge down but a fast twist is needed to stabilize these ultra heavy slugs at low velocity. I don't know of any 308 or 30-06 with a 1:8 or 1:7 twist. I am actually hankering for a 300blk bolt gun as the action noise of the AR is almost as loud as the suppressed subsonic shot. And a bolt gun would allow loading other bullet weights and styles without having to worry about cycling the action. I for one am not trying to compare the cartridge to the larger cased 30 cals. I think it's a fun, economical, dual purpose round that is good for close range hunting and plinking.

Jupiter7
11-19-2014, 11:49 AM
In a bolt action or a single shot, I'm not sure I see the purpose of a firearm chambered in .300 AAC. It makes sense in an AR since it is a cheap conversion and provides a round that should do better from short barrels in a close in defensive situation. 230 gr of lead at 1000 fps should give good penetration in human size targets. For the bolt action or break action single shots, I think a person would be better served with any of the larger powder capacity .30 caliber rifle cartridges (e.g. .308, .30-06, .300 Win Mag, etc). You can easily load any of them down to .300 AAC levels while still retaining the ability to have full power loads.

Couple positives actually. Especially to re loaders and even more so to boolit makers.

Brass is cheap if you make your own and widely available, even more so than 308 or 06. It is very efficient on powder usage. For cast shooting at normal cast rifle velocities(1500-2000) you're talking service pistol caliber load charges with fast burning powders and 15-ish grain charges with magnum powders.

truckjohn
11-20-2014, 10:34 AM
The thing I would remind folks is that Supressed, subsonics really excel at one type of duty.... That's the sort of hunting you are bound to see in crowded places like back east and suburbs.... Most of the shots will be fairly short... We are also talking VERY small properties - AKA backyards, 1-10 acre vacant lots, small woodlots, old farms, etc.... In those places a Magnum or even a conventional high powered rifle is going to cause trouble... A LOT of trouble with freaking people out.......

See... Hunters are so used to the massive damage that a 30-06 or 7mm mag will do at 30-yards that when they DON'T take very well placed shots with subsonics - the deer run off and end up in somebody's driveway bleeding all over their kid's shoes........

but, that's where we gotta realize that "Quiet" hunting in populated places is necessarily VERY different from hunting way far out where the noise doesn't matter....

Thanks

yovinny
11-21-2014, 05:55 PM
I'm new to BO hunting and after reading this, and everything else I could find here, I have a dilemma and a question.

My original thought for my hunting was to try and duplicate the 170gr RNFP 1900fps 30/30 loading. As it's killed lots of deer over the years and I have a mold that drops good already.
But it seems everyone says heavier cast wont expand at BO velocities and to use lighter bullets only.

Can anyone tell me WHY getting the heavier cast boolits pushed supersonic to expand is such a problem ?
Is it that they cant be cast soft enough to expand and still survive the bore pressure with any accuracy ? Even checked and/or powder coated ?

TIA
Cheers, YV

petroid
11-21-2014, 11:16 PM
I'm new to BO hunting and after reading this, and everything else I could find here, I have a dilemma and a question.

My original thought for my hunting was to try and duplicate the 170gr RNFP 1900fps 30/30 loading. As it's killed lots of deer over the years and I have a mold that drops good already.
But it seems everyone says heavier cast wont expand at BO velocities and to use lighter bullets only.

Can anyone tell me WHY getting the heavier cast boolits pushed supersonic to expand is such a problem ?
Is it that they cant be cast soft enough to expand and still survive the bore pressure with any accuracy ? Even checked and/or powder coated ?

TIA
Cheers, YV

Shouldn't be a problem getting that boolit to that speed. You will have to play with different powders. I think with a FP it will do fine and expand nicely. Getting it to feed in an AR15 may be an issue but your gun will tell you that. I struggle with higher velocity from cast boolits because of my 1:7 twist. A 1:8 or 1:10 would be easier, but may not stabilize the heavies at subsonic velocities.

yovinny
11-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Shouldn't be a problem getting that boolit to that speed. You will have to play with different powders. I think with a FP it will do fine and expand nicely. Getting it to feed in an AR15 may be an issue but your gun will tell you that. I struggle with higher velocity from cast boolits because of my 1:7 twist. A 1:8 or 1:10 would be easier, but may not stabilize the heavies at subsonic velocities.

OK, thank you :) ,,,Guess I'll just have to play with it awhile and find out what I can get.
I've built an AR with a 16" 1:8 nitrited bore (?), hopefully that will do with heavy cast pushed full house. I was really thinking of buying the GM 16" 1:9 chromed bore for this build, but I was gifted with this one first, so I cant argue with the price...

I see your in KY, I'm just south of Madisonville in Western KY myself.

Cheers, YV

petroid
11-22-2014, 10:16 PM
I see your in KY, I'm just south of Madisonville in Western KY myself.

I'm in Louisville. I grew up across the river in Posey County IN. My Pop works in Henderson. I have hunted at Sloughs WMA quite a bit. Not far from you.

petroid
11-23-2014, 09:42 AM
Hunting at a new place last night. Couldn't get there til late afternoon. Planned on doing a little scouting and coming back this pm. Right near dark I got a shot at a doe at about 50 yards. Aimed for front shoulder and saw her flinch at the shot. She was near the property line and ran out of bounds. I ran to the fence where I saw her go down in a grassy field. Tried to get up then went back down and didn't seem to move again but couldn't see her well. She was about 150 yards away. I didn't have permission to go over there so I hiked back to my truck and drove around to a farmhouse on the other side of the field. By then it was quite dark. I got permission to look for the deer and was able to drive right to the field where she went down. After a lot of searching I found blood but no deer. Followed the blood as far as I could and after about two hours had to give up. I was really frustrated. I felt like I should have just gone straight into the field to make sure she was down for good. Now she's coyote bait and all I got for it was the worthless consolation that I followed the rules but the crappy feeling that I didn't really do the right thing.

Smoke4320
11-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Petroid what load were you using ?
I have been trying for the last 4 days to get one with the Noe 247 HP
So far no luck
Last year shot one with the mil hec 159 HP and it went about 35 yds..
Really wanting to see what this 247 HP in going to do at 1040 fps
Shot will be 65 to 75 yds

NavyVet1959
11-23-2014, 09:56 AM
One of the reasons that laws like that might have come into being is inconsiderate hunters who climb over a fence and stretch the barbed wire. Back when I lived on a ranch, we were always having to repair the fences from where someone thought they could just step on the wire and climb over it to go fish in the pond. Sure, cattle damage the fences, but it looks different when a person climbs over, stepping on the wire like it was a ladder.

One of the good things about hunting hogs in Texas is since they are a pest, if you can't find the one you've shot, you don't feel *that* bad about it.

petroid
11-23-2014, 10:35 AM
Petroid what load were you using ?
I have been trying for the last 4 days to get one with the Noe 247 HP
So far no luck
Last year shot one with the mil hec 159 HP and it went about 35 yds..
Really wanting to see what this 247 HP in going to do at 1040 fps
Shot will be 65 to 75 yds

Lee C312-155-2R weighing 165 gr after PC and GC at 1750 fps

popper
11-23-2014, 01:50 PM
I didn't have permission to go over there so I hiked back to my truck and drove around to a farmhouse on the other side of the field. I guess a good reason to ask permission or at least give notice prior. Like Navyvet says, sometimes due to inconsiderate or poaching hunters. You did what you could, some think if it's on their land, it's theirs without the shooting. A friend has had the same thing happen to him with deer & pig several times. He hunts a lease, property around is leased also. I can see landowners not wanting hunting on their property (legally poaching) but I suspect they don't want the yotes attracted either.

armexman
11-23-2014, 04:21 PM
As an Ex-Professional poacher;is it not easier to scoot underneath a fence and more stealthy? of course after following today's safety rules;)

Fishman
11-23-2014, 08:25 PM
That's a bummer petroid. Lots of things could have gone wrong and it sounds like you did the best you could.

pls1911
11-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Hurts my head.
Take the little Blackout for what it is, a REALLY high tech 32-20... don't expect or rely on expansion, but count on it reliably doing it's job within its limitations.
Place your shot well or pass on it.
Location, location, location.
Lungs and heart will run... shoulder/spine junction... DRT

Blacksmith buddy dropped a 200 pound pig with the Blackout at my brother's place in the hill country without issue, DRT, and silent night.
Merry Christmas

truckjohn
11-26-2014, 04:47 PM
I think the main thing I would do is to secure permission from the neighbors to track a wounded deer *Before* you arrive...
Get in contact with them and try to strike up a cordial relationship... This is worthwhile even if you never intend on hunting their land...

Be sure to get their phone number and give them a call to tell them you are coming down to let them know you will be hunting....

Then - send them a Christmas card...

You never know how helpful some of these folks can be... Many farmers own dogs that are great tracking dogs... A Dog can do an amazing job of finding "Lost" deer....

Thanks

oldsagerat
12-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Thought about a 300 BLK but stayed with my 7.62x39 in a Ruger
bolt. Shot the Lee 312-155-2r for awhile but a sharp broomstick would have been just as effective on game. Switched to a flat nose
intended for the 32-20 and it works much better. It really wacks the critters.