PDA

View Full Version : Star die remover...

mattw
11-03-2014, 01:15 AM
I am tired of fighting to remove the die from my Star sizer... I would like to remove them when cold to save the mess of the warm lube in the body. Anyone out there want to part with the die removal tool?

Thanks Matt

gmsharps
11-03-2014, 01:23 AM
I believe that lathesmith makes them and possibly the perfessor. Worth a try at least.

gmsharps

enfieldphile
11-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Lathesmith will hook you up w/ whatever you need.

I rub a light coat of SNOSEAL on the die that going in next. No torn O Rings and goes in w/ firm thumb pressure!

MarkP
11-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Mount your Star on a plate, drill and tap a hole that is concentric with your die hole. From the bottom side of the mount plate insert a 9/16 or 5/8" bolt in the tapped hole, turn bolt until it touches the lower portion of the die continue turning bolt to remove die. I can use just fingers rotate the bolt when CAR RED is cooled, if really cold I may need to use a small wrench to get the die moving, if lube is warm I use a plastic pen (Sharpie) to remove the die. I find this is quicker than using the factory die remover. Also I like to leave a bullet in the die for quicker setup next time I use the particular die.

HATCH
11-03-2014, 02:45 PM
I always just turn the heater on and push the die out.
I do this even though I have switched to coatings

captaint
11-11-2014, 03:18 PM
I do what Hatch does. On with the heater and I use a (approx) 3/4 wood dowel about 3 inches long. Tap it right out (ALWAYS LEAVE A BOOLIT IN ANY DIE) and push in the next one. Nothin to it....

wymanwinn
11-11-2014, 05:29 PM
I always just turn the heater on and push the die out.
I do this even though I have switched to coatings

^^^^what he said^^^^

SWANEEDB
11-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Sent Matt a PM Re tool.