PDA

View Full Version : Making Shell Holder Bigger

smokemjoe
02-08-2008, 05:51 PM
I make my 41 Swiss cases out of 8 MM lebel, After I make about 100 rds. in 3 different steps of neck expanding why the top of the Lee shell holders break off. I found out a new shell holder from RCBS or Redding is almost $20.00, I have a Redding N0. 20 for 348 Win., I took a 1/16 round dental ball bite in a dremel tool and ran it around on the bottom side of the shell holder and lolish it up with a stone and now have a good shell holder, Hope this may help someone else with a shell holder problem

jonk
02-10-2008, 12:20 PM
I still wonder, what are you folks doing to your shellholders? I've had over 50 Lee shellholders and not one has busted yet- maybe I'm just lucky; but yes, the dremel method works well. I've done it before.

DLCTEX
02-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Is it that hard to pull the case back out of the die? I pull the brass off the head if I stick a case. Are you bumping the shell holder with the bottom of the die? I have been swaging the primer pockets on some military 06 brass and have to hit the lever hard several times on my rockchucker to pulll the swage out of the primer pocket. I use Lee shell holders and have never broken one even being this abusive.They are thicker than RCBS and cause me to have to ream the pockets with a lyman reamer to finish. Dale
DUH! I got to thinking about it and I had to take the shell holder out to put in the swager. So that's no test of shell holder.

Swagerman
02-10-2008, 03:26 PM
What's the name of that wax lube that comes in a flat can like shoe polish wax???

Lube them brass and beat the stuck fascet.

Jim

smokemjoe
02-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Here is what I do, Making 41 Swiss brass. With new 8 MM Lebel Brass I anneal it 1 st., I then run the cases through 3 different expanding plugs that I made up. all have a long tapered lead. I have used Imperial.Lee, RCBS and some others. The best I have found is Roosters CSL-71 lub. Its red heavy grease and stays on the expanders. I also relube it about ever 4 cases, I will splite 2 cases out of 100. I believe the reason why the top breaks off on the Lees is the extrem pressure when pulling the case back out the rod??? I stopped by Lee and they said use more Lub. But after 4 broken shell holders and the price of a special order I found this one from Redding for 348 Win. Nothing to loose I just run the dentail burr around on the bottom side until the case fits, I just got done making 100 more cases and so far it the top didnt break away. With the Lee ,One for sure would be broken off. Thanks for reading , Joe

Nueces
02-11-2008, 12:07 AM
Swagerman, that's Imperial Sizing Die Wax, now sold by Redding. i use it for case forming, 33 Winchester in particular. Great stuff.

Mark

DLCTEX
02-11-2008, 10:01 AM
It seems to me that there shouldn't be that much pressure if you are pulling the case off an expanding rod, not out of a sizing die. I would check : is the rod polished ? are you lubing the inside of the case necks or just the rod? I stretch the brass on 220 Swift if I don't lube the inside of the necks on each case. Just trying to help. DALE

jonk
02-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Well... for what it's worth, I form .41 Swiss by:

1. Taking the 8mm Lebel case (or .348 Win case, no preference), cutting it to length roughly with a pipe cutter or dremel tool.

2. Lube (I use Lee lube mixed 10:1 with alcohol). Let dry.

3. F/L size in .41 Swiss die.

4. Final trim and chamfer.

I'm not sure where the expanders come in as the part of the case that is being removed is also the part of the case that has the 8mm neck. But if that is what is causing your broken shellholders... just a thought.

smokemjoe
02-11-2008, 06:32 PM
That maybe my troubles, On each expander the part that expands the neck is 1/2 in long. I lub the necks inside and also the rods. I leave the case necks longs as if I shorted them I had more split necks.. Thanks- Joe

BudRow
02-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Take a primed 8MM Lebel case and put 16 grs. of Unique in it. Next put a small tuft of tissue paper in as a barrier wad. Fill with corn meal and tamp it tight leaving just enough room for a final tissue top wad. Tamp this last wad tight and then fireform in the gun. Anneal and trim to length, there after use your sizer die. Best Wishes, Bud

Lloyd Smale
02-17-2008, 09:53 AM
cheaper alternative to imperial sizing wax is anyhydrous lanolin. I think its the same stuff and know it works as well and you can buy a tub of it on ebay pretty cheap and its good for making felix lube to boot.