PDA

View Full Version : Need info On Pair of 45-70 Revolvers

Themoose
11-01-2014, 02:13 PM
I'm trying to track down information on the manufacturer or history of a pair of 45-70 revolvers(5 shot) that were made in southern Indiana(either Evansville or Vincennes) by a Dr. or Dentist back in the 70's or 80's. I saw and held them about 20 years ago and if memory serves me correctly, they both had the same serial number, but one had an "A" after the number. The owner is getting on in years and is thinking of selling them, but has no idea of their value and needs more info on their history...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TheMoose

Fergie
11-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Does the info in the link below help at all?
http://www.sixgun-forums.com/sixguns/content/27-single-action-maxi-guns

Themoose
11-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Fergie,

Thank you very much, I will try to use it to get more info.. sounds like it may be the key I needed... thanks again

theperfessor
11-01-2014, 05:39 PM
If they were made by a company called Century Arms then at least some of their production took place in a room in a warehouse that was located half a block from where I grew up in Evansville. I watched them machine some stuff and then remember later reading a review article by Elmer Keith in Guns and Ammo(? I could be wrong).

As I recall, they did not have very sophisticated equipment and were essentially hand building each one.

Naval bronze single action frame that looked like a Peacemaker on steroids. I've seen collector's exhibits at local gun shows and have seen a lot of variations.

Themoose
11-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Another thanks to "theperfessor"... seems like Earl Keller was the original maker while working for the phone company in Evansville.. made less than 400 then his wife sold the business or patent to Paul Majors of Greenfield... still trying to figure out what a pair would be valued at..or who would be interested in getting them for their collection. I see the Greenfield ones listed upwards of $2500.

Thanks again Keith

Ramjet-SS
11-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Interesting I had one off here years ago the brass version it was a behemoth but was cool just the same. Sold it many years go quality was pretty iffy and finish was optional.......��

Neat piece of big bore history.

theperfessor
11-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Wow, I actually remember something that happened 45 years ago!

My family knew the family that owned a moving and storage company, I worked for them while in high school. Earl Keller was some sort of distant relative of the owners and moved into the break room of the main warehouse. They had a table top lathe and a little table top drill mill and lots of hand tools. No knee mill that I recall.

44man
11-03-2014, 12:02 PM
Interesting history, I remember the D Max and thought it silly. Then I bought the BFR 45-70 and it is the most accurate revolver I ever owned. Somewhat hard to find loads for and powders to use. I don't think the older ones will hold a candle to the BFR with proper dimensions and twist rates.
Yes, BFR's are large Rugers with all castings made by Ruger's Pine Tree facility. All parts are Ruger. There is a connection between Magnum Research and Ruger, best ever for us shooters.
However the BFR will be fit closer and use Badger barrels, the 45-70 has a 1 in 14" twist. Most BFR's have faster twists then other makes in the same calibers. The .475 has the proper twist of 1 in 15" compared to others with 1 in 18". The list can go on.
But to get originals, there is history and value involved. I would scoop them up for the right price.
True the huge revolver never found favor until the BFR's.

Themoose
11-19-2014, 06:36 PM
Update. I'm back in Indiana deer hunting. I stopped and looked at the pistols a couple days ago and took a few pictures. They are numbered 188 and 188 A. I won't be back for 3 more weeks but if you are interested in them I can email you and you are interested in buying them I will provide the owner's phone number. After I return I plan on listing in the classified or on a gun collector's forum when I have a computer.

44man
11-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Where have the years gone? Why didn't we buy and keep everything?