PDA

View Full Version : Need opions

swamp
10-31-2014, 09:49 PM
Just had a first for me. Was pulling some bullets and had a small detenation. Had the cartridge locked in the hammer style puller. Smacked it down on the small anvil I use and it went off. Blew the collet section off the tool and shattered the overhead lights.

I have no idea of what would cause this. The ammo is some old handloads I am pulling down.

Any ideas on what happened?

swamp

wv109323
10-31-2014, 10:20 PM
There have been reports like this from time to time. What type of primers (brand and rifle or pistol)? The thoughts are the primer receives enough energy that the anvil detonates the priming compound.

flounderman
10-31-2014, 10:22 PM
possible the primer wasn't seated all the way to the bottom?

country gent
10-31-2014, 10:32 PM
May have been enough "inerta" to detonate the primer from the very solid bouce from hitting on an anvil. Older ammo may have been an overly sensitive primer from age or storage. Years ago components wernt as consitent as they are today. Old primers were a different compound also. The big thing is no one was seriously hurt or injured.

lefty o
10-31-2014, 11:06 PM
my first instinct is that when the loads were assembled, the primer was crushed into place, thereby making the primer sensitive. using the inertia hammer with a sensitized primers=detonation.

swamp
11-01-2014, 12:17 AM
The sensitive primer sounds possible. I know nothing about the ammo. Except it was reloaded,
The only thing I am possitive about is that it scared me real well. Now have to get a new inertia puller.
Also cleaning up the glass is always fun.
swamp

NavyVet1959
11-01-2014, 12:24 AM
Having broken an inertial puller a couple of times, I decided to just use an old single stage press for removing bullets from cartridges. The way that I use it though, the bullet gets damaged, so I only use this method on bullets that I can cast myself.

tommag
11-01-2014, 12:25 AM
There's the pieces of on in a display case at the range I belong to. I'm starting to think I need a different setup for pulling ammo.

swamp
11-01-2014, 12:34 AM
I deprimed the case and the primer has intact priming compound. It looks to be shrunken somewhat. Under a 10x slide viewer.

I don't think the powder went off with full power. I think it would have done more damage and been louder.
swamp

Bzcraig
11-01-2014, 01:54 AM
I had a similar experience and like you I always use the anvil part of my vise. It didn't destroy my puller which I continue to use but if I need to pull more than one or two, I use the single stage press and side cutters.

MrWolf
11-01-2014, 09:42 AM
I know it is not exactly related to your issue, but my overhead lights are the shop lights with tubes. I bought the plastic tube covers to help protect from an accident such as yours.

TXGunNut
11-01-2014, 11:12 AM
It happens. I believe the inertia pullers I use are designed to contain the results of a detonation and I make it a practice to not be over the open end when usiing it as that is where the energy will be directed. Shielded flourescent tubes sounds like common sense in a workshop situation. Those things scare me in a normal setting.

DLCTEX
11-01-2014, 11:48 AM
A friend also had a detonation that took out flourescent lights and damaged the impact puller. It is surprising that there is not more damage.

rush1886
11-01-2014, 12:29 PM
If priming compound was "intact", it's any body's guess as to how the detonation occurred.

Whenever I need to use an inertia puller, I use a lead ingot, cast in a muffin tin, as the striking surface. My thinking is that the lead, being softer, won't create the sharp vibration/blow on impact that striking the steel flat of an anvil would. I can offer no proof that this is the case, just my 2-bits. I've yet to have a detonation, but there's always the next time...........!

swamp
11-01-2014, 12:31 PM
I am definetly getting the covers. I checked the primer under magnifacation and the compound was shrunken and there was corrosin on the anvil. They must be quite old. The powder in the others I had pulled was fine looking. Smells fine. Going in the garden.
swamp

Bad Water Bill
11-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Another good reason for using a full arm swing when using that type of puller.

IF something should go wrong your head and body will be a full arms length away from flying objects.

Plate plinker
11-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Old primers especially some match grade could be the culprit.

FredBuddy
11-04-2014, 10:50 AM
I was always fearful when using that thing, so I finally broke down and bought the RCBS collet puller die and a couple of collets for my most common calibers; i.e. 30 and 38 and 8mm.

firefly1957
11-04-2014, 09:37 PM
I am confused a bit are you saying the primer was still in the case?
If so maybe there was a bit of powder in the puller that the bullet ignited which would start the powder that was under the bullet as it fell past it?

swamp
11-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Yes, the primer was still in the case.

Crawdaddy
11-05-2014, 01:59 AM
I have pulled thousands without incident. I am going to Change the way I do it now. I was using a concrete floor while seated in a chair. Needless to say my face is above the puller.

Thanks for posting, don't need my face any uglier.

Glad you are ok.

fastfire
11-05-2014, 03:20 AM
I use a 4x4 24" long one end screwed to a 12"x12" plywood for the base.
I hit the end of the 4x4 thinking that if I hit a hard surface (metal of concrete) with that plastic it would break.

country gent
11-05-2014, 07:04 AM
I cut a piece of red oak trunk 24" lont parrallel on the ends about 20" in dia years ago and use it for things that need hit against something. Its cured out now for 15-20 years in the corner of the garage and is very hard/ It does great with pullers and light forming tasks, Oak, Hickorey, maple would work very well, cotton wood, pine or soft woods not as well. I have used this for many years.

firefly1957
11-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Since the primer was in the case it was the powder that lit as primers blow out very rapidly when unsupported.