PDA

View Full Version : Brass Type

Hooker53
10-31-2014, 05:10 PM
Didn't know which thread for this one, so just picked one. Ha

I want to turn my own cases. Which type of brass stock is being used for this? C-360??? Thanks guys and gals.

Roy
Hooker53

leftiye
11-01-2014, 06:12 AM
You don't want to turn your own cases. Unless you are going to use them for popgun loads or something like that. Factory brass is drawn, which hardens it, and makes it stronger (not to mention smoother). Turned 360 brass flows at a much lower pressure, and also has lower tensile strength. Yes, 360 is the correct alloy.

Hooker53
11-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Leftiye you are correct, I don't want to turn that brass but I have to. No big deal other than cost. They are almost 7 bucks a pop and I want about a hundred. After doing the math, don't take long to decide which way to go. They will be low pressure loads in a 38 Rimfire using the Holy Black. I wanted to put a feeler out and get as close to the best alloy I could get. Thanks for stopping In and posting. I must be in a very small group with no more input on this that i have gotten. Ha. Ha.

Roy.

texassako
11-01-2014, 10:54 PM
Sure sounds like you are doing it the hard way for those. Converting cheap .38 Special cases is not that hard. A Handloader from a few years ago even had an article on it. Solder a plug in the primer hole, drill offset hole for blank to seat in, cut recess for blank's rim.

leftiye
11-02-2014, 05:53 AM
You could turn cups, and then finish by drawing them. Should be a straight draw to thickness (oversize), and then a rim forming step (size down all but rim). Get too complex, and you'll have to anneal. the number (sometimes only one) of draws determines hardening.