PDA

View Full Version : No grove mold

jerrold
02-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Saw a 45 BPCR mold without grease grooves. Waz wondering how it may work with a .300 to .400 grease cookie below the lead ,above the powder. This is a full 45 cal. slug and not intended for paper patch. Seems as tho the owner had a brilliant idea and the the light went out. The down side may be leading the barrel, but I don't know??? Got a 45-2.4 I could try it in!!!:coffee:::confused::castmine:

45 2.1
02-08-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm sure that MontanaCharlie will see this and chime in. In a word or two, don't try it.

kodiak1
02-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Should lead like no tomorrow.
Ken.

montana_charlie
02-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Jerrold,
You can give it try, or you can spend your time reading this...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=9907

One way takes a lot of time and effort. The other takes up time, but doesn't waste powder and shot.

If you read it all, and still want to try it, make sure your cases are fully as long as your chamber. That is the only barrel leading element I never tried to correct.

CM

Buckshot
02-09-2008, 04:11 AM
..............Slugs like that work in muzzle loaders.

http://www.fototime.com/AD2F0905CD8EB7A/standard.jpg

All these are for use in a Whitworth LRML. See the slug 3rd from the left. It's smooth with no lube grooves.

...........Buckshot

mroliver77
02-09-2008, 04:27 AM
I have loaded 140 gr 8mm unloobed boolits in a milsurp with a lite charge of red dot and a wax disk(CF Ventures) under boolit and got no leading whatsoever. I shot all day doing this and barrel stayed nice and clean.
J

jerrold
02-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the info fellows. I decided to pass on the lubeless mold.:coffee::castmine:

Arnie
02-13-2008, 12:18 AM
That bullet mould you saw was either a Brooks or Jones mould designed by Dan Theodore .The idea of this bullet was to dip lube it up to the top of what would be the driving band using his developed lubed called White Lightening for dip lubing .You seated the bullet shallow into a full case of black powder and forced it by thumb into the rifling .It was meant to be fired and then wet wiped the bore each shot .This method does work very well but most of us have gone on to using paper patch and dip lubing them .Arnie

yarro
02-13-2008, 02:23 AM
If your bullet is hard enough, you should see very little leading. I shot a bunch of nominal 158gr hard slugs (about as hard as I could get through the sizing die in the Lyamn 450) out of my Ruger GP-100 at moderate velocities (about 1150-1200fps) without lube and did not see any difference between them and the lubed ones using the same load except that the lubed ones chronoed about 20fps faster average. I later tried it with much softer bullets and got slightly more leading than the lubed bullets. When I tried it with 1 in 20 Tin/Lead it was very noticable. So it really depends on the alloy that you are using.

-Yarro