PDA

View Full Version : 32 Long/Mag Range Report

tejano
10-30-2014, 08:58 PM
Several months ago I placed an order with MGM for a 32 mag (.312") 21" barrel with a 1 in 16" twist. The barrel finally arrived two weeks ago. I have just begun to play with it. My primary interest with this barrel is to develope accurate and quiet subsonic loads and also slightly higher loads. I am not a caster, so I buy commercial cast and swaged lead bullets. Also, thanks to Larry Gibson for the inspiration to get off the dime and place the order with MGM.

Components for this outing: vintage Burris mini 6X AO, 32 S&W Long privi cases, Federal small pistol primers, 115 gr. RNFP 32-20 (.312") cast bullet from Hunter's Supply. These bullets are probably undersized for the barrel, but I need to shoot them until they are gone. I started out with 2.0 gr. of Bullseye and then 2.5 gr.

I also tried Acme's 100 gr. RNFP (.313") over 3.0 gr. of Unique, and 3.5 gr. of Unique. 32 S&W Long WW cases and Federal primers were used. Of all the loads I think that 3.5 gr. of Unique was the best this time out.

The best targets (all at 50 yards) are below. 1st target: 2.0 gr. Bullseye; 2nd target: 2.5 gr. Bullseye; 3rd target: 3.0 gr. Unique (center), 3.5 gr. Unique (top). None are great but I hope to do better as I shoot it more.

P.S. Suggested loads would be welcome.

Houndog
10-30-2014, 09:21 PM
That 3.5 gr Unique load ain't that bad, in fact the absence of a bunch of verticle stringing indicates you are on the right track! Your horizontal stringing is most likely caused by one (or more) of four things. You either were canting the rifle differently for each shot, did not have a good solid hold, a bad front rest, or not paying attention to the wind. Any and all of these will cause what your target is showing. I'd revisit that load and MAYBE increase the powder charge a couple of tenths to see if it will tighten up some or start opening up. Adjust the charge accordingly watching for pressure signs! After you have got that figured out you can start playing with bullet size, overall length and crimp to tighten it up even more.

tejano
10-30-2014, 09:45 PM
It was windy and I did not take my good (heavy) rest with me.