PDA

View Full Version : Smelting Pot Suggestions

brockj
02-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Last night I made up my first ignots, and only having an electric furnace, that is what I used. Based on what I have learned, in one day, I will be getting a Cast Iron pot over lunch [smilie=1:

My question is on size, this is the one I am looking at:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44706

It has a 4 quart capacity, how much lead is that? I would like to get something in the 10-20 lb range, 20lb being preferred.

Leftoverdj
02-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Four quarts would be over 50 pounds, even with generous pot above the alloy level. I got that much clean lead after skimming tire clips. You're looking for something in the 6 cup range which is way too small for ingoting, in my opinion. I retired the four quart dutch oven in favor of Harbor Freight's larger size which will handle a bucket of WW at a time.

Woodwrkr
02-08-2008, 11:50 AM
If you have a "Sanford and Son" sort of place near by they can be a great source for old iron Dutch ovens and cook pots, good price and no shipping charges.

Wayne Smith
02-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Before you buy that one make sure you can use one with legs. Those are made to be used (cooking) over open coals, with more piled on top. They are made without legs for use in a normal indoor oven. Look at what you will be putting it on.

AllanD
02-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Thrift stores
antique stores (higher prices)
Garage sales
Scrap metal dealers

Are usually the easiest places to find a larger cast iron pot.

the best heat source is likely the burner and stand from a "cajun cooker" or Smoker
(the brand Brinkmann comes to mind) and the large jet of flame from the propane
flame will melt almost any ammount of lead....

I processed 50lb of lead pipe into ingots the other evening, in my den of all places...
But not with a propane fire under a cast ironpot. in a pot I set inside my coal stove.

Electric furnaces are without question the best for casting bullets but make smelting
and ingot casting a tedious PITA

AD

blackthorn
02-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Smelting pots can be made of cast iron or steel. Do not use Aluminum because it will eventually fail, likely without warning.....NOT GOOD! I have (and use) some cast iron pots of various sizes and I have several "custom made" pots made from sections of heavey wall pipe with a bottom welded on. I also have (and use most) a pot made from a top-cut-off 20 lb propane cylinder. I would post a picture but my computer skills are at about the same level as my ability to perform brain surgery. I use a low (about 4 inches from the ground) 3 ring propane burner as a heat source. I do not allow the level of molten alloy to get above the 1/2 full point due to the weight.

JIMinPHX
02-09-2008, 01:07 PM
20 pounds would certainly fit in the pot that you have chosen. The larger version of that pot, for about $4 more,

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44705

might be a more versatile option that would give you the ability to work with slightly larger amounts of lead in the future. In either event, a turkey fryer is usually the preferred heat source. They are available at lots of places these days from Walmart to Cabellas. A wood fire also works if you don’t want to spring for the turkey fryer.

JIMinPHX
02-09-2008, 01:42 PM
The liquid density of lead is 10.66 g/cm−3, which means that it’s almost 11 times as heavy as water, so a gallon would probably weigh about 80 or 90 pounds.

boommer
02-09-2008, 03:22 PM
The 4 quart around 50 # at about 1 inch from full. don't really want to much fuller. turkey fryers are around all over the place people buy them find out how mush it cost to use them then they get packed away!So if you have my luck you will buy one and the next thing you find them for cheap or free! NEVER FAILS Try asking around to borrow one, not like going to hurt it. Then can wait for cheap or free one!

1Papalote
02-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Bought my cast iron pot at a FLEA market. $8.00 It holds about 50#

1Papalote

brockj
02-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the replies. I went for the 4 quart one, figure that will be plenty for as much lead as I am able to come across. Did score some today, about 150lbs, 100 ww, and ~50lbs lead pipe and sheet. As for a burner, I have a few options, I have a couple superb burners (really nice 35K BTU burner) as well as a modified Turkey frier. I do a lot of homebrewing. In fact hopefully getting a medal for a scottish ale that I entered this weekend!