PDA

View Full Version : Loading issues with the new Ruger Single Seven .327 Federal Magnum

Fergie
10-30-2014, 04:31 PM
I've seen several different posts from folks with this new pistol that are having issues with loading it via the loading gate.

I've got a 4-5/8" version, and have shot .32 ACP - .327 Federal Magnum in it, and aside from the .32 ACP, it won't load correctly.

When the loading gate is open, and I index the cylinder on the hand to the hand notch on the cylinder, the chamber cannot be loaded. In the second photo, that is as far as a .327 round will go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/bergferg/005_zps22459388.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bergferg/media/005_zps22459388.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/bergferg/015_zps4057d00d.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bergferg/media/015_zps4057d00d.jpg.html)

If I rotate the cylinder and stop just as the chamber clears the gate, but before it indexes on the hand, I can load the pistol just fine.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/bergferg/007_zpsa679e6b9.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bergferg/media/007_zpsa679e6b9.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/bergferg/016_zpsc4511da5.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bergferg/media/016_zpsc4511da5.jpg.html)

The same goes for unloading the gun.

None of my other SA pistols (mal)function this way.

I've contacted Ruger and spoke with woman that thinks it might be the "pawl." I'm sending her some photos shortly, but I wanted to know who else was having similar issues and how you resolved them.

Thanks,
Gavin

LUCKYDAWG13
10-30-2014, 04:38 PM
if the woman you spoke to name is raylin she is the one that just helped me be nice to her when you talk to her

Fergie
10-30-2014, 04:39 PM
No, it was Patricia I believe. They were plenty courteous, we just couldn't get it figured over the phone, so the pictures should help.

Jared
10-30-2014, 04:50 PM
Every one I have handled is just like that. On all new models, except the mid frames with the reverse indexing pawl, you can't go to the click and back up against it to load and unload like you can with an Old Model or a SAA.

dragon813gt
10-30-2014, 05:14 PM
I've posted about this issue w/ mine. I've been busy all week and haven't had time to call Ruger. It seems that most are having the same issue. Once I figured out what was going on it's not a big deal. But it is annoying. If anything it's good for dummy drills because I just leave the cylinder empty if I go to far. Hopefully I have time to call them tomorrow.

williamwaco
10-30-2014, 06:01 PM
Every one I have handled is just like that. On all new models, except the mid frames with the reverse indexing pawl, you can't go to the click and back up against it to load and unload like you can with an Old Model or a SAA.

Ditto. I have a .44 and a .30 Carbine. Both are like that.

rintinglen
10-31-2014, 12:58 AM
Mine not only has that issue (cases binding on the frame while loading) but the hammer binds while cocking, resulting in a skipped chamber, since you have to lower the hammer and start over. Of course, it only does this while loaded. This action is as rough as a corn cob. I am very disappointed--My brother has a Bisley 32 H&R that is smooth as silk and loads without a hitch. That is what I was hoping for, but it sure ain't what I got. The 7 shot cylinder seems to be a bad idea, or poorly executed, or both. Mine will be going back to Ruger--their customer service has been excellent in the past for me and I hope will be so again.

Jared
10-31-2014, 10:40 AM
Binding while cocking is normally caused by the base pin jumping. When the base pin isn't fully seated the plunger doesn't push the transfer bar back far enough to clear the firing pin.

For or some reason this model is very prone to have that problem. Both of mine do it, as does a friends. I think one of the prototypes I shot back in June had a few issues as well. A Belt Mountain base pin will solve that problem if you don't feel like dealing with Ruger.

Fergie
10-31-2014, 10:48 AM
Well, I guess I'm confused as to why a firearm would be sold with this kind of issue.

It sounds like this is not uncommon with SA Rugers of this ilk, but I would expect that the QA/QC would be much better. Loading and unloading is kind of a critical function of a firearm, by my measure any way.

I received a response from Ruger stating that "My gun does not have an indexing pawl, so it is functioning properly." The mark was missed as to what the issue is. I'll pursue it further with them to get this all resolved, but for a new pistol, this sort of thing is mildly irritating.

Char-Gar
10-31-2014, 10:50 AM
I don't have that particular model Ruger SA, but every other New Model Ruger I own or have owned required me to turn the cylinder a smidge by hand so the round could clear the frame and go into the cylinder. None of them have indexed properly when the cylinder clicked. I never thought anything about it, just rotated the cylinder until the charge hole was in the middle. I have always aligned every SA cylinder (Ruger OM, Colt, USFA etc.) by hand and eye to load the rounds. After all the years it is second nature and it never occurred to me that things should be otherwise.

As Shakespeare said, "Much ado about nothing", just Ruger 101. The Ruger NM SA is not designed to do what you want it to do. As with all mechanical devices, we just have to take what the designer thinks we should have. If you can't adjust your loading techniques to the design, then get rid of the pistol to avoid the angst.

As an aside, I don't like Ruger stainless SA pistols. Everyone I have bought or handled are rough as a cob when they come out of the box. That is compared to a carbon steel version of the same handgun. Below is the only truly smooth and slick Ruger stainless SA I have ever owned. However I did have to pay Gary Reeder a bunch of money to get it that way. :-)

rintinglen
10-31-2014, 11:26 AM
I have a half dozen Rugers--My BH Flattop is so accurate it is one of my favorite guns period--but none of them have the loading problem this one has. Look carefully at the 1st picture posted by the OP(great Pics by the by). Notice that the cylinder is locked by the hand from rotating backwards and that the frame blocks the charge hole on the cylinder. On mine this condition is even more pronounced. Viewed from straight behind, the charge hole is actually eclipsed by the frame. If you compare that with the similar sized 32 H&R guns, the charge hole wil be centered, or nearly so, in the cut out and loading is a breeze.
ps Char-Gar is dead on concerning the stainless Rugers: they come rough, and tough--that steel is hard. If you are patient, though, they will smooth out with use or the careful administration of lapping compound and stone. I still have high hopes for this gun.

DougGuy
10-31-2014, 11:58 AM
If it's the pawl, you can get a free spin pawl from Midway or Brownell's, or you can simply use the one it has and modify it. Here is a pic of the free spin pawl, this should help the problem of getting the charge hole aligned with the loading gate:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Birdshead%20Vaquero/FreespinPawl3_zps7794e0fb.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Birdshead%20Vaquero/FreespinPawl3_zps7794e0fb.jpg.html)

9.3X62AL
10-31-2014, 12:39 PM
I'm largely in Char-Gar's camp as far as Ruger BH or Single-6/7 quirks go. The charge holes need to be aligned "just right" or loading gets interfered with. Over the years I learned to quit fighting the things and just "go around again" as needed. These aren't defensive tools for most buyers, so this Rugerism isn't one I lose sleep over. Colts and their Uberti repros are less critical, for me at least. The Colt SAA system was the next major step after loose powder and roundballs, but it sure as h--l wasn't as convenient as the S&W top-breaks like the 44 Russian or 45 Schofield.

Char-Gar
10-31-2014, 03:07 PM
I'm largely in Char-Gar's camp as far as Ruger BH or Single-6/7 quirks go. The charge holes need to be aligned "just right" or loading gets interfered with. Over the years I learned to quit fighting the things and just "go around again" as needed. These aren't defensive tools for most buyers, so this Rugerism isn't one I lose sleep over. Colts and their Uberti repros are less critical, for me at least. The Colt SAA system was the next major step after loose powder and roundballs, but it sure as h--l wasn't as convenient as the S&W top-breaks like the 44 Russian or 45 Schofield.

Yep..and if the charge holes are not aligned correctly you can have problems with the ejector rod binding as well. As far as I am concerned any stripe of single action is an eyeball affair and clicks don't matter. If you misalign a charge hole then just go around again and pay attention this time. I have been doing this so long, it never occurs me to try and turn the cylinder backwards.

I understand that split seconds can be important to Cowboy Action shooters, so in that case a free spin pawl would make sense, but for me it isn't worth the money to buy one or the time to modify the one in the gun.

I have never been a true single action fan, much preferring the Colt and Smith and Wesson double action revolvers, but I have to agree with Rintinglen that my Ruger FT 45 is the best made and most accurate single action revolver of any make that I have had in my hand. I read in another thread that a fellow with a stainless steel version was not all that happy with it, but mine is a carbon steel crackerjack.

9.3X62AL
10-31-2014, 04:26 PM
This thread's under-subject, stainless steel Ruger SAAs, caused me to think......and I can't recall ever owning a stainless SA of any stripe. I far prefer the blued guns. We'll see how the bluing holds up 4 blocks from the surf at the new place.

Char-Gar
10-31-2014, 04:40 PM
I have lived on or near the Gulf coast most of my life and had not had much trouble with rust on guns. If they are in an air conditioned house it doesn't matter how close you are to the surf. If taken for a walk near the water, it is good to wipe them down with an oily rag when they get back.

For long exposure to salt air, like in a coastal buck blind, I give the guns a coat of liquid car wax (Turtle Wax) and wipe it off. I have always considered stainless steel to be a solution to a non-existent problem for the guy who takes care of his guns. Stainless if for the guy who does not.

30calflash
10-31-2014, 06:22 PM

I recall the same with a Single Six 32 H&R, not as much with an SBH.

I think it has to do with crowding the larger caliber into the 22 frame. just go around again as mentioned.

wrench man
11-01-2014, 01:00 AM
Mine's subject to all the above complaints!??, I'm pondering relieving the frame as to the loading issue?, I don't think it would take but a few thousandths?, as to the free spin pawl, maybe I didn't read it right?, but the single seven uses a different pawl than the single six?, and it too has been subject to the base pin jumping?, have never had this issue on any of my other Rugers?

High Desert Hunter
11-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Unless it has the reverse indexing pawl, which most rugers don't, this is normal, have been loading Rugers this way for more than 2 decades. My Flattop 45 has a reverse indexing pawl, and it works how you are thinking, as does my Freedom Arms, the other 4 Rugers don't have the reverse indexing pawl and so I load them when the chamber clears the frame, it I wait for the click, I've gone too far.

rintinglen
11-01-2014, 11:54 AM
I tore mine down Friday night and gave it the thorough cleaning I ought to have given it in the first place. I got two minuscule metal chips out of the frame, but after lubing and reassembly, the cocking problem seems to have gone away. The loading issue may be intrinsic to the design, but a slight change in the cut out on the recoil shoulder would go a long ways to easing the loading-unloading issue. I have cycled the action hundreds of times and either it is getting smoother or I am getting stronger. I hope to get back over to the range tomorrow to do some more testing.

meister mash
11-01-2014, 11:56 AM
If it's the pawl, you can get a free spin pawl from Midway or Brownell's, or you can simply use the one it has and modify it. Here is a pic of the free spin pawl, this should help the problem of getting the charge hole aligned with the loading gate:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Birdshead%20Vaquero/FreespinPawl3_zps7794e0fb.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Birdshead%20Vaquero/FreespinPawl3_zps7794e0fb.jpg.html)
Let us chat my friend. Did you try this on the single seven? I treid it and I think either I didn't go far enough or the spacing may be too tight. It now binds a small bit while turning the cylinder to load and still no free spin. It didn't want to index after wards either but that has cleared up.
As far as the loading thing, op that spot right were the rims are catching, I took a small drum in my dremel. Sanded that spot down. Hit the whole loading notch. Used a cratex rubber wheel. Then used a felt bob and polish. You wouldn't be able the tell it was even done. You can see there is a small radius or bulge right at that spot that the rims rub on.
You fellows with the other rugers, the single seven that I have required you to quike jamb a cartridge in the hole before the pawl catches because there wasn't enough slack to roll it back against the pawl then load.

Fergie
11-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Let us chat my friend. Did you try this on the single seven? I treid it and I think either I didn't go far enough or the spacing may be too tight. It now binds a small bit while turning the cylinder to load and still no free spin. It didn't want to index after wards either but that has cleared up.
As far as the loading thing, op that spot right were the rims are catching, I took a small drum in my dremel. Sanded that spot down. Hit the whole loading notch. Used a cratex rubber wheel. Then used a felt bob and polish. You wouldn't be able the tell it was even done. You can see there is a small radius or bulge right at that spot that the rims rub on.
You fellows with the other rugers, the single seven that I have required you to quike jamb a cartridge in the hole before the pawl catches because there wasn't enough slack to roll it back against the pawl then load.

The radius of the loading notch is not smooth, there is definitely a small hump where the rim catches.

I had considered sanding this section down too, but I'm still of the opinion that this sort of thing should not be an issue straight from the factory. Just because numerous different types of Rugers are this way does not make it acceptable, at least to me.

Then again, I may be too particular about this issue, but I'll give Ruger the chance to address before I start grinding and painting on a new pistol.

meister mash
11-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Well you are right that it shouldn't be an issue on a factory new gun. I just couldn't let my new toy pass through my grubby hands. So that's what I do. :)

JPinMI
11-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Jeff Quinn at GunBlast has a review of this revolver. He claims: The chambers line up perfectly with the loading gate for loading and unloading."
Did he get something different for his review or is he just stating that he likes the Ruger method of loading the cylinder just as it clears the frame?

dragon813gt
11-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Well of course the chambers line up perfectly for loading and unloading. Otherwise you couldn't load it at all. The question is at what point in the cylinder rotation did they line up. I'm of the opinion that it should be at the stop. I find it odd that people find it acceptable for a brand new gun to not work this way. It seems this is an engineering fault and people have come to accept it for some odd reason.

JPinMI
11-01-2014, 02:57 PM
I am agreeing with you. It just doesn't seem like it would have been that difficult to produce the cylinder to line up at the stop, or at a minimum allow a the small amount of backward rotation to line it up.

Char-Gar
11-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Is there some other way to rotate the cylinder to load other than by the use of your hand? If so I would like to know about it.

Is it written somewhere that the charge hole should be dead center in the frame loading cutout when you hear a click?

Do folks expect that the shooter does not have to look at the position of the charge hole when the empty brass is ejected or a new round loaded?

I am constantly amazed at what the younger generations of shooters expect. Folks seem to want to blame the design if their wants and needs are not met. This is what I want and by god they better make it the way I want..seems to be the current thinking. The "me generation" seems to have taken over and folks seem unwilling to undertake the most simple of tasks to get things done. Everything has to be done for them it would appear, including being able to load a single action pistol without looking at what they are doing.

I guess next folks will want handguns that load and unload themselves, aim and fire themselves and then clean themselves and put itself away In the sock drawer or wherever. But what do you expect from folks who want handloading machines that do everything but crank the handle and load the hoppers for them.

Times they be achangin!

Fergie
11-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Is there some other way to rotate the cylinder to load other than by the use of your hand? If so I would like to know about it.

Is it written somewhere that the charge hole should be dead center in the frame loading cutout when you hear a click?

Do folks expect that the shooter does not have to look at the position of the charge hole when the empty brass is ejected or a new round loaded?

I am constantly amazed at what the younger generations of shooters expect. Folks seem to want to blame the design if their wants and needs are not met. This is what I want and by god they better make it the way I want..seems to be the current thinking. The "me generation" seems to have taken over and folks seem unwilling to undertake the most simple of tasks to get things done. Everything has to be done for them it would appear, including being able to load a single action pistol without looking at what they are doing.

I guess next folks will want handguns that load and unload themselves, aim and fire themselves and then clean themselves and put itself away In the sock drawer or wherever. But what do you expect from folks who want handloading machines that do everything but crank the handle and load the hoppers for them.

Times they be achangin!

If you bought a new car, and to get it to drive straight down the road, you had to turn the wheel 30* to the right, would accept it as is, as part of "driving," or would you take it back to the dealer and ask that they align it properly? Or would you continue to drive it as is, pontificate about the old days, and bad mouth people that said "Hey, the dealer should fix that you know"?

Times have changed, and there will always be grumpy old farts that disagree with young wise-asses, and vice-versa. However, with CAD, CNC, and function simulation programs and all sort of other computer aided design, all in use by companies like Ruger, there is absolutely no reason this error should be brought to production.

We aren't talking about an original Colt from the 1860s, or some mid-30s Smith and Wesson. We are talking about a production run from 2014. It is not beyond reason in the least bit to expect that when the hand notch indexes on the hand, the damn cylinder can be loaded without interference from the frame of the gun, and that everything should line up. If that were not the case, why not delete the hand and hand notch and go back to square keyway like the cap and ball revolvers of old?

Char-Gar
11-01-2014, 04:57 PM
If you bought a new car, and to get it to drive straight down the road, you had to turn the wheel 30* to the right, would accept it as is, as part of "driving," or would you take it back to the dealer and ask that they align it properly? Or would you continue to drive it as is, pontificate about the old days, and bad mouth people that said "Hey, the dealer should fix that you know"?

Times have changed, and there will always be grumpy old farts that disagree with young wise-asses, and vice-versa. However, with CAD, CNC, and function simulation programs and all sort of other computer aided design, all in use by companies like Ruger, there is absolutely no reason this error should be brought to production.

We aren't talking about an original Colt from the 1860s, or some mid-30s Smith and Wesson. We are talking about a production run from 2014. It is not beyond reason in the least bit to expect that when the hand notch indexes on the hand, the damn cylinder can be loaded without interference from the frame of the gun, and that everything should line up. If that were not the case, why not delete the hand and hand notch and go back to square keyway like the cap and ball revolvers of old?

I did not post what I did with the intention of irritating you, but I can deal with it if you are.

There is always a foundational assumption in posts like yours. Everything is predicated from and upon this assumption. Yours is that Ruger made an error. If that is not true than everything else collapses around it.

I doubt if Ruger would share this opinion and many experienced shooters would also not see an error here. You have stated the "error" as a fact and that is very much open to challenge. What we have here is your opinion passed off as fact, which of course it is not.

You of course are free to disagree, but disagreement in such rough and coarse language does not add anything to the value of your opinion, nor the credibility thereof.

Love Life
11-01-2014, 05:21 PM
I agree with Char-Gar on the loading issue.

dragon813gt
11-01-2014, 05:22 PM
You of course are free to disagree, but disagreement in such rough and coarse language does not add anything to the value of your opinion, nor the credibility thereof.

I suggest you go back and read your own post for coarse language. It was a baiting post if I've ever seen one. You knew you would get a reaction when mentioning the younger generation. But you will deny that.

Here is a question. Why wouldn't the hole line up when the cylinder is locked? Why have it stop at a useless position? This seems like an engineering error to me. Opening the gate or changing the indexing seems to be the solution. I don't understand why people think it's acceptable the way it is. Guess what, things progress and are refined over the years. Just because it used to be doesn't mean it has to stay that way. A free spin pawl is another solution that probably should have come w/ the revolver to begin w/.

And since we're blaming generations. Thanks to the older folks for letting our country slip into the state it's in on your watch ;)

Love Life
11-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Hot diggity daggone!!! We got us a ho-down abrewing!!! Or is it a hootnanny?

dragon813gt
11-01-2014, 05:25 PM
I edited my original post to include the winky eye that I forgot to type.

dragon813gt
11-01-2014, 05:28 PM
But my questions are real. Maybe it's because I'm an anal retentive person. I can load the revolver w/ out issue. But I'm the guy that has to straighten every picture frame in the house. And the screws in electrical cover plates all have to face the same way. The way it indexes is off and irks me at a core level. That being said I love the revolver and will deal w/ it's quirks if there is no fix.

Char-Gar
11-01-2014, 07:32 PM
I suggest you go back and read your own post for coarse language. It was a baiting post if I've ever seen one. You knew you would get a reaction when mentioning the younger generation. But you will deny that.

Here is a question. Why wouldn't the hole line up when the cylinder is locked? Why have it stop at a useless position? This seems like an engineering error to me. Opening the gate or changing the indexing seems to be the solution. I don't understand why people think it's acceptable the way it is. Guess what, things progress and are refined over the years. Just because it used to be doesn't mean it has to stay that way. A free spin pawl is another solution that probably should have come w/ the revolver to begin w/.

And since we're blaming generations. Thanks to the older folks for letting our country slip into the state it's in on your watch ;)

My post was not coarse, as it did not refer to bowel gas or rectums.

My post was not intended to bait anybody, it was just a statement of my opinions and reflections about cultural change. It was not bait and nobody needed to take it even if it was, which it was not.

As to the need of a hole to line up, that is you opinion and you are entitled to it. I don't know if Ruger is hiring engineers or designers but you might check.

If you are a picture straightening retentive person, that is only a concern to those who live with and around you. I really don't care. Your quirks are of no concern to me.

As to being responsible for the decline of the country, I did not vote for Obama or Clinton, that is on your generation. I did vote for Bush twice.

hendere
11-01-2014, 07:59 PM
I want one of these guns really bad and have been following this thread. It does sound like a pain, and I've been wondering if they would change it. Then it suddenly dawned on me that the Super Blackhawk that I've shot weekly for years is exactly the same way and I've never thought twice about it. It's funny (to me anyway) that it never seemed like an issue until someone told me it was. :)
On my SBH the notches look to line up with the chambers, maybe there is a reason they do it that way. Maybe not. At any rate it's not going to keep me from getting one. I'm looking forward to everyone's range reports with these.

trapper9260
11-01-2014, 08:33 PM
My 327 BH 8 shooter I do not have any problems with it for what is stated here.I was wondering about this one .Thank you for posting about what is going on with this S7 .

Tar Heel
11-01-2014, 09:11 PM
All of my Ruger SA's work just fine for me. I am not in any particular hurry when I load them up. Perhaps if folks would slow down a little bit, things may work a little more smoothly for them. Seems like everyone is in an all-fired hurry anymore. The single action revolver design has been in production since 1850. Seems to work just fine for most folks.

str8wal
11-01-2014, 09:47 PM
I'm of the opinion that it should be at the stop.

This would be nice, but it is not the way the gun is designed. It is not a malfunction that the cylinder doesn't line up with the loading gate when locked up, it is the way it is. Always has been with Ruger SA's, at least all the ones I have had. If you miss the gate and go to the click, you just gotta go 'round again. Not a big deal, IMO

MattOrgan
11-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Your Ruger is fine as many above had said. New model Ruger single actions don't line up to load when the bolt falls into the cylinder notch. Old models, Colt SAA copies work differently and ARE easier to load quickly. What's most surprising is the immediate carping about a defective product by those who don't understand how a given firearms is properly handled. The need to be outraged these days mystifies me and I thinks its a side effect of this wonderful communication system of the internet. It's not a youth problem it's the anonymitity. I know a several of guys my age and older that can be perfect bast&@ds on the net, but perfect gentlemen in person or on the telephone. I fear we may see the end of civilitity. That would be a shame.

meister mash
11-02-2014, 12:25 AM
What is it a full moon or something in the water? :veryconfu

9.3X62AL
11-02-2014, 12:41 AM
It sounds like a few Ruger revolver users have need of some Glock Perfection or SIG-Sauer engineering excellence. Single-action revolvers expect a bit more of their users than do more modern systems. The "off-center" gate loading of the generic Colt/Uberti/Ruger single action revolver has been a product feature since 1836, with the introduction by Samuel Colt of his Paterson pattern revolver. The percussion cap nipples did not rotate up to a convenient site--they must be guided into and held in proper place by the user to complete the loading sequence. Recognition of this "engineering flaw" spurred the development of capping devices to facilitate those steps, and when Colt's system was adapted to cartridge-loaded revolvers its imperfect but easily manipulated regimen remained unchanged. In short--generations of users have adapted their skill set to the quirks and features of the single action revolver. Someone grousing about these quirks comes across as a hyper-sensitive crank when they unduly criticize an established regimen that has been in place for 178 years. Either that, or stick with the mall ninja Tupperware.

rintinglen
11-02-2014, 01:58 AM
Awful lot of OPINION coming from people who don't have one of these guns in their hands.....

dragon813gt
11-02-2014, 08:33 AM
So let me get this straight. It's wrong for some of us to expect to be able to load it at the cylinder lock and that's makes us hyper sensitive and we should stick to Tupperware guns? This exact thread is on a lot of other forums at the moment. So it's not just one or two people w/ the same complaint. If it can't be fixed I will live w/ it. But there is nothing wrong in saying you think it's engineered wrong and it doesn't work properly. I find it odd that they've had this quirk for well over one hundred years. That means either it can't be reengineered to work differently. Which if this is the case I fully understand. Or the manufacturers have just ignored it because people have adopted to the quirk. Either way I really like the revolver. Ruger will make the determination as to wether we have to live w/ it or not. Not the people that are saying just live w/ it.

Tar Heel
11-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Your Ruger is fine as many above had said. New model Ruger single actions don't line up to load when the bolt falls into the cylinder notch. Old models, Colt SAA copies work differently and ARE easier to load quickly. What's most surprising is the immediate carping about a defective product by those who don't understand how a given firearms is properly handled. The need to be outraged these days mystifies me and I thinks its a side effect of this wonderful communication system of the internet. It's not a youth problem it's the anonymitity. I know a several of guys my age and older that can be perfect bast&@ds on the net, but perfect gentlemen in person or on the telephone. I fear we may see the end of civilitity. That would be a shame.

Well said. "The need to be outraged." Usually over a trivial matter.

Tar Heel
11-02-2014, 08:41 AM
So let me get this straight. It's wrong for some of us to expect to be able to load it at the cylinder lock and that's makes us hyper sensitive and we should stick to Tupperware guns?

Yes. Grow up.

dragon813gt
11-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Yes. Grow up.

So you respond w/ a childish insult yet I need to grow up? The do it my way or no way attitude is thick on this forum. People have differing opinions yet some fail to realize that you can have opposing view points Like I said, Ruger will make the determination.

MBTcustom
11-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Ruger is not going to redesign their entire product line to cater to people who do not care to properly align the charge hole with the frame cut, because there is a unrelated click that slaps you on the hand if you do it wrong.
There is a right way and a wrong way to operate any firearm. Some adapt, some refuse and make the gun adapt to them.
I heard somebody complaining about a Harley Davidson motorcycle the other day, saying what a poor design it was. "Nothing on this bike is intuitive, or easy to use!" was what they were saying. They sold the bike, and bought a crotch rocket instead. But then, the dude is going to be complaining that he doesn't get to ride as many ladies around on the back of his new rice burner, as he did on his shaky "unintuitive" American bike. LOL!

Look, the part that is keeping the cylinder from "lining up" actually has nothing to do with loading the revolver. It has everything to do with putting the chamber in perfect alignment with the barrel. The two are unrelated.
The proper way to load that gun is not to let the stop be your guide. It never was. You are supposed to look at your gun and load it precisely.
Actually, if you use the cartridge as your guide, you can stuff that baby full in no time, and when unloading, you've got pressure on the brass with the ejector rod, as you spin the cylinder past the ejection point, a blind man could evacuate that cylinder in no time.

Complaining about the fact that a coincidental alignment of two mechanisms is not present, is in poor form IMHO. A little practice and you can have it down pat in no time.

From that point of view, some of what has been said here is easy to be offended at, because Ruger is our last family owned American mainstream gun manufacturer, and there products are affordable and reliable. Just hate to see them getting choked up with complaints by people who don't care to learn the proper way to use their guns. (no offence intended).
But, to someone who thinks it's a basic design flaw and it's bugging their brain, they don't understand why people get irritated. It's just a difference in opinion. The people that own these guns and use them take great pride in their ability to use them well, because it's a learned discipline.
The other side is used to firearms that are built to be used in situation where manual dexterity is not available, and the guns are designed to operate on stops that you can snap to in a tense situation, and they expect all guns to be designed with this in mind.

In this case, several here are having trouble wrapping their minds around why a gun would be designed with a stop in place that prohibits loading the firearm when those stops are used as a crutch (as they would be in combat). They are missing the design point of view of the firearm.

That said, there are several smiths that can tune the pistol to your liking, but personally, I'd rather just learn to use it as is. (or you can buy a Freedom Arms or a Magnum Research, and you'll be on easy street! Man those guns are like silk!).

jrayborn
11-02-2014, 09:42 AM
My Single Seven had problem with the gate being too small overall. I don't care to argue with anyone over it, but it was too small. Stoned it to remove the ridge Ruger missed and now it suits ME. Bigger problem is that the base pin latch hole was not deep enough. Bridgeport fixed that.

Ya'll continue to bicker among yourselves now...

Love Life
11-02-2014, 09:48 AM
This thread would be better if people were talking about genuine SAA revolvers...

Char-Gar
11-02-2014, 10:52 AM
I love this thread for it is an open and obvious window into how some of the younger set thinks. I doubt they will change their thinking, but continue to expect Ruger and the world to cater to their every whim and give them what they demand. I was raised, as were my forefathers, to deal with live as it comes and not to expect the world to change to suit my whims.

I just have to wonder how the newer generation would have done against the Comanche 150 years ago in Texas. I suspect the Comanche would be roasting their livers on a stick. If loading a Ruger SA pistol is to much for them, how would they do against a real challenge in life? Inquiring minds want to know. I suppose they would go on some internet board and ask for advice or Google up Comanche and see what pops up.

Again, this is coming from a 72 year old guy, who according to them, screwed up the country and left it a mess for them to clean up. They can start to clean up my mess, once they have learned how to load a Ruger SA handgun. This is my unashamed opinion and social commentary for the day.

Love Life
11-02-2014, 10:55 AM
This new generation would crush the Comanche and use their ceremonial items as toilet paper.

Don't go to far with it Char-Gar.

Char-Gar
11-02-2014, 11:22 AM
This new generation would crush the Comanche and use their ceremonial items as toilet paper.

Don't go to far with it Char-Gar.

I have my doubts about that outcome with modern googleite men. Of course there are a few good men who grew their balls in the sand box and would be a match for even the Comanche or Vikings. However we will never know for the Vikings have turned into liberal social democrat pussys and My Great Grandfather and other Texas Rangers with a little help from the US Army hunted the Comanche to near extinction.

So, I guess many of them will have to be content with pitting themselves again Ruger in a test of wills. A challenge for a real man wouldn't you say? (-:

9.3X62AL
11-02-2014, 11:31 AM
LL would fare well up against the Comanche, as would the folks he works with. Same goes for my sons-in-law, my daughters, and nephews. I suppose this is why the complaints about systemic shortcomings of the SAA strike me as such odd, off-kilter remarks. Such ambuscades were a few among the many challenges a person just met--dealt with--and made work. No, they aren't gun-game race pistols--yes, they can be improved. But for recreational venues, they are eminently useful. My Dad had me filling the charge holes on our Colt Bisley in 32-20 at age 7. 52 years later, I still enjoy that old sideiron.

Char-Gar
11-02-2014, 11:47 AM
You got me beat, I didn't get my hands on a Colt SA until I was 16. It was a 38-40 and I wish I still had it. At any rate I guess I should be more patient with folks who started life with a Ruger and who were born into a time when basic things were no longer taught. However, my real concern is not about skills, but about attitudes.

To be certain, we do have some young men and women who are as good as any generation who have come down the pike. However, I don't rub shoulders with many of them. I teach college to a bunch of 18 to 30 year olds and their work ethics, morals and study habits are in the dumpter. There are of course a few exceptions and they are a delight to know and teach. But the vast majority of them are looking for short cuts and the way to get a degree with the least amount of work.

This will be my last semester teaching as I can no longer tolerate the cheating and sloth. Colleges and universities has dumbed down the instruction to accommodate these folks, for we want to be certain that all students are successful in college. This has trickled up from public education.

The bottom line is I am not sanguine about the mental toughness, discipline and work habits of most younger Americans. Again, there are exceptions, but I don't see them often in my part of the cosmos. Add this little confession to your understanding of where I am coming from.

PS: What really broke my heart was when I caught one particular student cheating. He was a Border Patrolman going to school at night. He was an Iraq combat veteran and had be a straight A student in my classes. That is what took the wind out of my sails. Individuals have disappointed me many times, but I think I took this one the hardest. There is a back story and this in mine. I hope some day to regain my confidence and trust of the younger generation, but for now it is pretty well gone. I know it is unfair to tar everybody with the same brush and will try and not do so. But, really the guys on this thread just need to learn how to load a SA revolver and get on with life.

Love Life
11-02-2014, 12:04 PM
I see my generation get up and go to work every morning, Actually, I see many different generations get up and go to work daily.

I see sects of each generation also being lazy bums with low intelligence and no ambition.

I don't believe people wanting a change to the loading of the Single action is going to bring about the end of the world.

Back to the Ruger load issue. I would just practice until it is second nature and then not worry about it.

Char-Gar
11-02-2014, 12:09 PM
I see my generation get up and go to work every morning, Actually, I see many different generations get up and go to work daily.

I see sects of each generation also being lazy bums with low intelligence and no ambition.

I don't believe people wanting a change to the loading of the Single action is going to bring about the end of the world.

Back to the Ruger load issue. I would just practice until it is second nature and then not worry about it.

We all see the world around us and draw conclusions from what we see. We don't all see the same world or draw our conclusions from the same point of view. At one time, I would have agreed 100% with you about the uniform distribution of ambition and sloth in the various generations. But I am not at that place anymore, perhaps I will be again some day, but not today.

Fergie
11-02-2014, 12:52 PM
I did some research on the history of Ruger SA revolvers last night, and to my genuine surprise, the loading issue has been present since 1973. As a mechanical function, the hand and hand notches are there to align the cylinder with the barrel in the correct manner. Why on earth would the loading notch be cut in such a manner that it does not align with the cylinders when loading? That is a poor design, and a flaw.

Regardless of the "this is how it is" mentality of some folks, this is a design flaw and Ruger should have had to wherewithal to address it. Just because they've not addressed the issue, does not mean that I blindly accept the "learn to load a special way, different from how other SAs load."

As to the other aspect of this thread, specifically the disdain for the younger generations, I'm not entirely sure where the correlations were drawn, but so be it. My generation is left with an economy in shambles, a wrecked and ravaged environment, insurmountable national debt, and a whole passel of other issues that were created and propagated by you Boomers. And guess who was at the helm the entire time? It wasn't my generation. When we refuse to conform and follow blindly in the footsteps of previous generations; when we buck the trends and behaviors that past generations followed, do you wonder why? It is because we don't want to be a bunch of bitter, entitled old men that continue to screw things up for our progeny. You complain about the self-serving "me" generation and their excesses, but where do you think that behavior was learned? That's right....from you and your generation. You are parasites that have bled this country out, and for the first time in a century, you leave the next generation with a country worse off than the previous. You failed.

And yet, my generation is doing their best to pick up the pieces left, and do better for our progeny. We are trying to make America more competitive and bring jobs back. We are trying desperately to fix the economy and roll-back government control over too much stuff in our lives. We are trying to save the environment so our kid's kids will still know what the untapped wilds are. We are integrating technology with hard manual labor, moving back to small-scale operations like farms and homesteads, and trying to make family the priority.

Oh, and so I can avoid any actual culpability with this post, I'll couch my little diatribe with the statement that this is my take and my view, so "no offense."

Char-Gar
11-02-2014, 01:08 PM
Carry on Fergie..carry on! March confidently into the future and don't look back. We bitter ender old men will be gone soon enough and you can create the world you want for your larva. Don't waste any more of your precious time on us. Get after Ruger and make them see it your way. They have been doing it wrong for 41 years and it is time they got their heads screwed on straight. Grab life, society and Ruger by the neck and shake it until it conforms to you will. That is the way to form your new world. Brook no interference with your mission and disregard the rantings of a bunch of old men. What do they know anyway. The future belongs to the young and they know the way forward unhindered by the wisdom of the past. Nothing these geezers know or say has relevance to your world and future. They have nothing to offer and pollute the air with the smell of death and decay. They are dead wood whose time has passed and are to be placed in the fire. You are Da Man! Go for it!

All the best to you and yours.