PDA

View Full Version : Measuring powder

k8bor
02-08-2008, 10:09 AM
What kind of powder measuring devices can I use for BP? It's a pain dipping or pouring that much powder into a muzzleloader measure and then down the tube. Anybody use standard powder measures, etc?

wiljen
02-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Lyman and Hornady make powder measures designed for use with BP. Be careful not to use some of the standard powder measures that can generate static charges as the results could be very bad.

k8bor
02-08-2008, 10:43 AM
I have an RCBS I've been using for about 15 years for smokeless, I wonder if that would be ok. I've never had any indication that it would ever generate any sparks or static!

StrawHat
02-08-2008, 10:49 AM
I have seen a thread where some fellow used a spark generator and played with a pile of BP.

If I can find it I'll post it here.

Many feloows use their regular measures but that is not a recommendation.

A couple guys I know reload BP handgun cartridges on Dillon presses.

k8bor
02-08-2008, 11:08 AM
I've seen the examples of the spark generators and the black powder. I also understand about the "not a recommendation". I certainly appreciate the feedback.

Don McDowell
02-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Back a few years, Lyman's 55 measure was regulated for bp, just the plain one, not the bp special edition we have now.
If you don't want to spend the money on a lyman , hornady or rcbs has a bp edition out now also, you can always make a dipper out of a empty cartridge and just dip from a bowl.

I like the Lyman 55 bp special with the 24 inch drop tube reall well.

montana_charlie
02-08-2008, 12:32 PM
I also use a 'smokeless' measure (Redding) to drop BP charges.

One thing you DO want to keep in mind is the extremely fine BP dust that will collect inside the metering machinery.

It's a good idea to disassemble the drum (or whatever) and wipe out the guts on some kind of semi-rigid schedule.
CM

k8bor
02-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks all, I appreciate the info. It's pretty much what I thought. Everything "common sense". The tip about the dust was really appreciated too. I'd forgotton tha aspect. I've never taken that measure apart and cleaned it yet, sounds like it's time to.

Thanks again,

blysmelter
02-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Buy a kit of Lee dippers:-)

Nardoo
02-08-2008, 05:27 PM
I use a Lyman classic BP measure with drop tube that I purchased from a kind forum member. It sure throws good even charges.

Nardoo

jim4065
02-08-2008, 06:03 PM
I use the Lee dippers for all BP cartridges. A see-thru MTM powder funnel fits perfectly in the top of the Lee "powder-thru-expander" dies and lets me see any bridging of the 2F granuales before I lower the shell. I do have to use 2 dippers in combination for 45-70 loads.

montana_charlie
02-08-2008, 07:17 PM
powder funnel fits perfectly in the top of the Lee "powder-thru-expander" dies
So, you don't settle charges with a drop tube.
Do you vibrate to settle, or just go straight to compression?
CM

jim4065
02-08-2008, 08:40 PM
So, you don't settle charges with a drop tube.
Do you vibrate to settle, or just go straight to compression?
CM

Well, they shake some as the turret rotates - then I just press home the 405 grain Lee hollow base boolit. They seem to fly as true as the Remington factory loads - at least in the first few trips to the range. Got to admit that I'm only putting in 65 grains of 2F - I don't have a real powder compression die. Have tried a "Long" M die as a compression die, but it seems a little silly to have a super hard and flat powder charge under a hollow base boolit. Been seating all the way down to the crimp groove, but I may need to experiment some with more powder and more exposed boolit. Can't help but feel that the main problem I'm having with accuracy lies in my own lack of practice - a good reason to retire next year. [smilie=w:

montana_charlie
02-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Can't help but feel that the main problem I'm having with accuracy lies in my own lack of practice
Describe your 'main problem', and the type of rifle you are loading for.
CM

jim4065
02-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Describe your 'main problem', and the type of rifle you are loading for.
CM

Besides lack of accuracy? It's an old roller in 43 Spanish and it still keyholes with oversize boolits, a change to FFFg powder, and libations to the gods. (Hmmm - maybe too many libations?)

Anyway - got great hopes for the Trapdoor.

xtimberman
02-21-2008, 12:15 PM
I had a RCBS Li'l Dandy that I wasn't using - until I found a long segment of brass tubing with a 1 1/4" ID. It looked like it might replace the plastic hopper on the L'il Dandy - and it did after I "shimmed" the base with heavy masking tape.

I also replaced the plastic bottom spout with a brass plumbing fitting of appropriate size. Now I have a small back-up measure that's OK for black powder. The largest rotors work fine for pistol calibers and the like, but have to be turned several times for a large capacity case.

It's not my primary measure, but is a fast, handy rig to take to the range when loading small cartridge cases one-at-a-time. If I use it at home, I keep a metal tray below to catch the spill from the final turn to avoid waste.

xtm

mooko
02-21-2008, 12:23 PM
I think it might be a good idea to use separate measures for smokeless and black. They have different coatings. I have two RCBS measures and an Ohaus Duo Measure. I use the Ohaus for black and the RCBS's for smokeless.
In other news, have you slugged the bore of your rifle to determine the land and groove diameters? Also, the rifling twist may be not good for the length of bullet you are using.

Kenny Wasserburger
02-21-2008, 08:20 PM
I use 2 methods,

The lee dippers for my 45-110 and scale weigh each charge with a Ibalance 101 excellent Scale.

for 45-70 I use a MVA Visable measure (a modern version of the belding and Mull) Works very well also, but also scale weigh each charge.

The above are then droped with a 30 inch tube that fits inside the case mouth.

Kenny W

xtimberman
02-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Kenny W. just reminded me of another blackpowder-safe charging tool you can rig up yourself inexpensively - an all-metal powder drop tube.

Take an old aluminum arrow shaft of the desired diameter and length (My two tubes use a 30" Easton 2514 and a 30" Easton 1816), and JB Weld a small aluminum funnel on top.

I C-clamp a stiff-springed clothespin to the front of my bench to grasp the tube - then I sit on a low stool in front when dropping charges into the funnel.

xtm

wills
02-23-2008, 12:57 AM
http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html

Buckshot
02-23-2008, 04:23 AM
................For my drop tube I went to the auto parts store and bought a piece of suitable length and ID brake line.

...............Buckshot