PDA

View Full Version : tried something new to me and had a weird thing happen

nagantguy
10-29-2014, 09:29 PM
.320 grain Lee real boolits cast from.dead soft with just a little tin added for better fill out, been working on these for a while and got them shooting pretty good in the encore. Three shots with 90 grains pyrodex holds a good group but after that have to swab the bore or they start flying very which a way. Have also been playing around with powder coating, so as happens every 5 years or so I had an idea! I tried gun kote by KG to coat my boolits. Heated them to recommended temp, dunked them.fer a few and cooked em at slightly higher than recommended temp. They came out looking great, I'll post pics as soon as someone skater than me talks me through photo bucket. Anyhow all were sized through the Lee .501 push through and took just a little effort, falling from the mold at .503 ish. After they cooled I took my trusty caliper to a few, a few of the 30 or so SHRUNK. Some down to .498-499??? Any thoughts on this y'all. Thanks in advance.

Hang Fire
10-30-2014, 08:01 PM
As to Photobucket, they have a email app where you just paste pics and type Photos in the subject line, click send and they are off.

pietro
10-31-2014, 03:03 PM
I'll post pics as soon as someone skater than me talks me through photo bucket.

Please check your PM's (private messages).

C. Latch
10-31-2014, 03:07 PM
I powder coated some REALS for my .54, and also PC'ed some Lee Maxis.

The REALS shot great. Never did get time to finish playing with them.

nagantguy
10-31-2014, 03:20 PM
Thanks to everyone who has tried to help with my photo posting deficiency. Still.can't get them.to.show up but will try again tomorrow. This REAL project other than the mysterious shrinking boolits is reallycoming along, I think the PC might be the thing to keep.the bore from fouling so bad after 3 shots going to lsg now to try and find some blackhorn powder and I'll be at the range on Sunday to see if this alchomy gets me anywhere. Either way I can get three shots into a fairly tight cluster now so should be good for season but I want better than good, I want the level of accuracy I was getting with powerbelts!

mooman76
10-31-2014, 06:58 PM
I am interested in your gun coat you are using. I have some other bullets I'd like to try it on. One thing I am trying to understand, first your REALs are suppose to be dropping at .517 not near what you are saying or are you talking about the Lee improved minie or one of the other minies? Second, why are you sizing them to .501? If again you talking about minies then never mind the second part of this.

mooman76
11-01-2014, 01:06 PM
I might suggest that they probably didn't shrink but maybe dropped from the mould that size. I was trying to get mine to drop smaller for better fit years ago. I noticed before the mould gets up to temp and is hot, they drop smaller.