PDA

View Full Version : rcbs micrometer zero help

waltherboy4040
10-29-2014, 04:51 PM
Hi I bought a rcbs micrometer that doesn't seem to return to zero when using the slipper instead of the main body. I've tried adjusting it back to zero with the wrench and the contacts are clean. I wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if it needs to be returned? Thanks for any help!

dilly
10-29-2014, 04:52 PM
I don't know anything about that exact micrometer, but you might try calling RCBS.

They should be able to help you one way or the other.

country gent
10-29-2014, 08:35 PM
It could be several things causing this, buy how much is it varying and over how much travel? If just a .001 or less could be "feel" issue. Good mikes have a take up adjustment on the threads that could be out of adjustment also. Measure .250 .500 and .750 see if it repeats thru range anywhere.

W.R.Buchanan
10-30-2014, 01:13 PM
You need to wipe the Anvil Points with your finger to make sure they are clean. A Rag or paper towel doesn't work, it will leave small particles that prevent the anvils from coming together completely.

It usually takes a few tries to calibrate a mic with the little wrench, but if it is not repeating using the clutch on the end then the anvils are probably not clean. If you are sure they are clean, then send it back, It's junk.

Randy

smokeywolf
10-30-2014, 01:18 PM
What Randy said.

EDG
10-30-2014, 03:51 PM
Most of the mikes sold by reloading tool manufacturers are 3rd rate tools and are NEVER found in industry.

With a little patience you can buy a like new Brown and Sharpe chromed framed mike from the 1960s and 1970s that
is first class for about $15 plus shipping. I would be glad to point out the versions that work ok and those that are not so hot. Starrett and other brands can be good but each mike has to be judged on its own merits.

To zero your mike first clean the faces with hard white high quality paper.
Take a clean piece of the paper and clamp the mike faces to it lightly about 1/2" from the edge of the paper.
Clamp only tight enough to cause a slight drag on the paper. Pull the paper out slowly. If there is any crud on the faces it will show up on the white paper.
Once clean close the spindle lightly against the anvil using your preferred method - ratchet, friction thimble or your own feel. Use what ever method you use for measuring on a daily basis. If the mike is on zero you are done. If the mike is not on zero clean it with the paper 4 or 5 times. If it never goes to zero you must rezero it then retest after cleaning the faces again.

Eventually you will get it to zero. If not there could be a problem with your cleaning or zero process. If they are ok the mike is the problem.